• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Beach(sand) and offroad

Blake30615

Reaction score
Visit site
As new owner and many years since MC ownership, my Question is, How does the 750 do on sand and light off roading for cabin camping in woods?

If the sandy road to the cabin has a hard substrate and sand isn't more than a inch or two deep the NC's 17" front tire does OK for me. In soft deep sand not so good and I avoid such roads. I've broken all the collar bones I want to up until this point. If the road to the cabin is somewhat maintained and passable with a 2WD car or light truck on street tires an experienced rider would probably do OK.

It depends on the sand. If the sand is just a light layer on top of a hard surface (like dduelin said), getting the right tires on the NC and knowing how to ride on sand will get the job done. If the sand is deep and/or has no underlying hard surface, forget about using the NC with it’s relatively heavy front end, and small 17” wheel. Don’t event think about it. Buy a dual-sport motorcycle.

In general, light off-roading on packed surfaces is fine on the NC. You may eventually decide you’ll want to upgrade the suspension.

If the sandy road to the cabin has a hard substrate and sand isn't more than a inch or two deep the NC's 17" front tire does OK for me. In soft deep sand not so good and I avoid such roads. I've broken all the collar bones I want to up until this point. If the road to the cabin is somewhat maintained and passable with a 2WD car or light truck on street tires an experienced rider would probably do OK.
Thanks. I just had surgery last week(Broken collar bone in 2 places)Plate inserted to align bones. Brutal pain 1st 5 days. Thank god for pain meds.

Agree with what is said above. Keep Your NC for the road which was what it was designed mostly for. A nice CRF300 Rally will do everything else including what You outline above.

Around here there is no road salt, but they use sand for traction on the snow and then it remains for a month after the snow is gone. IDK if I want to ride on it in the winter. It especially collects at the intersections. There is a street sweeper, but they leave a lot.

welcome Blake and 750DCT and a hearty welcome from northern IDAHO. Although the NC is a very capable machine(imho), i have never had it in the sand like you described. I have however, like so many others here, had it about everywhere else!

If you'll allow me, here is a link to a short vid my son made a couple of years ago of some of the riding i do here in northern Idaho.

Back