• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Beemerphiles will be beemerphiles...

A full review of that beauty after you get some miles on it. Mpg, maintenance, leg room. You know the normal stuff.
I plan on keeping the NC untill it dies but have always lusted after a GS.

A full review of that beauty after you get some miles on it. Mpg, maintenance, leg room. You know the normal stuff.
I plan on keeping the NC untill it dies but have always lusted after a GS.

The computer is showing 46 mpg average on premium fuel, but the PO and I ride differently. I expect it to fall by about 2 mpg based on early going. Leg room is one reason I love these things. As a 6'-2" arthritic, my knees love it. However, with lowering pegs on the NC, it is quite good as well. I am pretty familiar with the maintenance as it is similar to my R1150. This bike is a camhead, so it has shims for valves instead of screw-adjustable as the R1150 (and the NC). More work to do, but less often. Still has the unsurpassed access to the valves that is signature BMW.

Lee

After more time with the new GS, it is becoming apparent that the NC may lose its place in the garage. I sold the R1150 to a friend. A great bike, but no regrets. I had the NC out for a while today and compared to the GS it felt cramped and (obviously) slow. I may wait a few months to make sure I don't make a regrettable decision. I sold a Yamaha TMax a couple of years ago and wished I had it back. The way I farkle them reversing a mistake isn't as easy as simply buying another one. Some lucky someone got the only TMax in the country with a heated leather Russell seat and HID lighting.

We'll see. Jury's out.

I definitely understand the importance of leg room. Thats why the NCX will stay a one up bike for me.

Are you going to Beemerphile farkle it or leave it stock?

Well, I succumbed... a bit.

Aeroflow windscreen. Since I don't plan to ride dirt with it, I swapped the spoke wheels and TKC's for a set of 2006 alloys with Pilot Roads. Also removed the rear fender addition (a.k.a. 'possum scraper) and installed a Puig hugger. Heated two tone grey leather Russell seat. Motolights. Rigid Dually driving lights. Touratech GPS mount and Garmin 665. Wilbers ESA shocks. SW Motech tank bag. EarthX 36C battery. Excel Cycle Werkes throttle control and exhaust extensions. AF-XIED fuel injection controller. Fastway Evolution pegs. Centech AP-2 power distribution panel. Fender Extender. Fiamm horns. Extra brake, tail, and side marker lights. Not really a full-on beemerphile farkle, but I think I have it like I want it now.

DSC04993.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a great bike - and not to insult anybody - a step up. The NC700X is a great platform and does so many things well - for the places and kinds of riding I do - but it needs to be ~1,000cc or something!?! And to it's credit for my next bike I'm trying to figure out how close I can get to the NC700X but with bigger engine. I'm not looking for off-road character like the AfricaTwin - that's what my CRF250L is for - but a lighter weight adventure style road bike, tubeless alloy rims, . . . to run the old highways out here with. (P.S. I never really understood - the BMWr bikes are aerodynamic - and spendy - but they put those horrible boxy metal "ammo-cans" on them as saddle bags ?!?)

Last edited:
Sounds like a great bike - and not to insult anybody - a step up. The NC700X is a great platform and does so many things well - for the places and kinds of riding I do - but it needs to be ~1,000cc or something!?! And to it's credit for my next bike I'm trying to figure out how close I can get to the NC700X but with bigger engine. I'm not looking for off-road character like the AfricaTwin - that's what my CRF250L is for - but a lighter weight adventure style road bike, tubeless alloy rims, . . . to run the old highways out here with. (P.S. I never really understood - the BMWr bikes are aerodynamic - and spendy - but they put those horrible boxy metal "ammo-cans" on them as saddle bags ?!?)

I will keep the NC for its many virtues and my old airhead RS for its classic personality. But I like the speed and luxury of the GS and the lack of chain maintenance. I've heard all of the BMW horror stories but my 40 years with the brand has been near perfect satisfaction. I accept that every few years I may have to disassemble and tinker with it. I enjoy the bonding time. As far as weight, it is less than a DCT A/T and doesn't feel any heavier than the NC when pushing it about. The horrible ammo cans are aftermarket cases by Jesse. I like them quite a lot. This bike took a 2nd gear slide out on the right side with the prior owner and the (unrepaired) case has very minor damage. The BMW stock cases for the GS are called Vario and they are not quite so stark looking (or rugged). The GS Adventure comes with "pretty" ammo cans. Older (1100 and 1150) oilhead GS bikes came with aerodynamic "system cases" that you would probably like. Maybe it is an acquired taste.

Sounds like a great bike - and not to insult anybody - a step up. The NC700X is a great platform and does so many things well - for the places and kinds of riding I do - but it needs to be ~1,000cc or something!?! And to it's credit for my next bike I'm trying to figure out how close I can get to the NC700X but with bigger engine. I'm not looking for off-road character like the AfricaTwin - that's what my CRF250L is for - but a lighter weight adventure style road bike, tubeless alloy rims, . . . to run the old highways out here with.

Jelo:

Just last night I was reading about Honda bringing the Crosstour (VFR1200X) to the US now.
My impressions are this is the NC but with a 1200cc engine.
You may want to check it out.
2016 Honda VFR1200X Adventure Tourer FIRST LOOK Review, Specs, Photos | Cycle World
But I realize you may be wanting more around 1000cc engine (which would put you right back at the AT.)

Some thoughts.

God bless!!

Michael

Beemer:

Nice looking machine!
I notice you could not resist adding one farkle or two.

There is a used car dealership which has had a 2012 of what may be the same machine for sale here for a year now.
Used 2012 BMW R1200GS RALLEY SPORT for Sale in Williamsport PA 17701 J & M Auto Sales
For what you see on the website is $14K a good price?
I believe it may be the owners way to and from work each day.
The perks of being the company owner I guess!

I have been looking for a year now at the R1200R.
Thought it might make a nice highway rider for the wife and me.
I am not a big fan of fairings and so I have not looked too hard at the R1200RT.
Have considered the R1200RS if it does not have too much "lean forward" for the driver.
Would consider an R1150R or even and R1100R if the price is right.

Enjoy the GS and be safe!

God bless!!

Michael

For what you see on the website is $14K a good price?

There is no difference between the 2012 and my 2013. I think the 2013's were made with leftover parts after the liquid cooled bikes came out. I think the $14,000 price is about $1,000-$1,500 high.

Each person has to evaluate the ergonomics on their own. I find the new R and RS bikes to have too much knee bend for my 6'-2" arthritic frame, though I still ride my 92 RS for 7-800 mile days. I am taking it to Maine in September. I bought a 2004 R1150R and the knee bend bothered me so much that I put a GS suspension on it to raise it 3-1/2" and allow the use of the GS footpeg system which lowered the pegs an equivalent amount. Lots of work, but it made a great motorcycle. The newer R1200R bikes have welded on footpeg attachment points so the conversion from R to GS suspension is no longer bolt-on.

PICT0136-M.jpg

Last edited:
If/when BMW comes out with a GS that doesn't require a hand clutch, I'll put my order in. I rode a 2011 GS up Highway 1 from just north of Santa Barbara up to Santa Cruz last November and couldn't feel my left hand after working that clutch for miles and miles of twisty roads. It just went totally numb and it hurt a bit as well. That's why I have the NC DCT and will be looking at the Crosstourer DCT when it's newness has worn off in the US and the price is reasonable on a used one. I've seen that model/paint scheme GS out and about on various rides I have been on here in California and it looks great. The GS is wonderfully composed and fits my 6'4" frame easily. I was fine with the stock seat after a 2,000 mile rides. Much better than the stock NC seat. Happy trails on your new machine. I don't think you can go wrong with any GS.

5d0e22e3a18a5c567416a63be046919e.jpg

I am still thinking of this 2012 "old model" or a newer LC one.
I like the Triple Black.

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk

If/when BMW comes out with a GS that doesn't require a hand clutch, I'll put my order in.

The ShiftAssist Pro almost gets you there. You only have to clutch it as the stops. Some say the downshifts in the lower gears are a bit jerky. Yes, they would be nice with a DCT. When my clutch hand gives in to arthritis (its headed that way) I may have to do something different as well. I'll just give it to my son. As a commercial plumber and an ex Airborne trooper, he can bench press the dang thing.

Last edited:
I am still thinking of this 2012 "old model" or a newer LC one.
I like the Triple Black.

I am not won over to the LC motor yet. My choice was between the Triple Black and the Rallye. I finally decided I like the Rallye better. I thought you drove the 2012 camhead and decided that you didn't like it? Although, some of the complaints you listed about it are definitely not present on my example. Maybe the particular bike had "issues".

I am not won over to the LC motor yet. My choice was between the Triple Black and the Rallye. I finally decided I like the Rallye better. I thought you drove the 2012 camhead and decided that you didn't like it? Although, some of the complaints you listed about it are definitely not present on my example. Maybe the particular bike had "issues".
TBH, I have had zero chance to try the LC with my busy week schedule.

I can "live with" the old model but it will always set me thinking "what if".

Come end July, I may just have a chance to pop over to the BMW shop to test the LC.
I like the cruise control and active suspension and the assist shift (clutchless). I didn't even know this exists until last week.

The new R9T scrambler looks sexy....

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk

I think I may have caught the disease. thinking strongly of getting a K1600. 2 BMW autos in the garage and although I enjoy my NC700x my wife has little tolerance for riding any distance on it, the vibrations into my hands are more than I like after an hour, and I really want a true cruise control and better air flow management.

Not sure what happened to me. I think it was the trips to the Welt.....

*Update* . . . after a lot of research, investigation, visiting and talking with people at the dealership in Sturgis - ends up I bought a 2016 F800GT yesterday (28, April 2017). It wasn't ready to take yet, I'll have to wait until next week, but then it'll have the saddle bags I wanted too. Thanks for the information and conversation.
2016-bmw-f-800-gt-buyers-guide-2.jpg

Back