• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Begrudgingly selling my NC for a CB; just not friendly enough to small rider

dianawatk

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I greatly regret that I am going to have to trade in my 2012 NC700X for a 2016 CB500X in the next couple weeks. I'm going to test the CB tomorrow, but what I've heard about its smaller height and dimensions makes me feel it would be better suited to me as a shorter rider. I'm only 5' tall and 100 lbs, so while the NC was able to really haul with me aboard, I always felt half-dead after highway trips of 2 hours or more. I've done everything including getting a custom seat, re-adjusting the bar angle, lowering the bike 2 inches, getting custom levers, etc. I've done a great job of adapting and have really enjoyed the 10,000 miles I've put on her this year. But the bike is just slightly too big for me, no matter how well I've adapted.

I'm hoping the CB is just light enough and just small enough that I will enjoy riding it, though I will dearly miss the trunk and the torque of the NC700X. I was also thinking of a Duke 690 to shed significantly more weight, but then it would be uncomfortable for long freeway rides. Which is too bad; it sounds like a really fun bike. Alas, Mother Honda provides great reliability I cannot pass up.

Cheers to you guys for helping me out so much with silly questions and dogging over the past year! You've really helped me feel welcome in the community and I will miss you all. Maybe someday after enough bodybuilding at the gym, I will return to the NC line. The new 2016 does look pretty sharp :)

There are some other pretty good choices for shorter people out there too, probably even better than the CB500X in that regard though I don't think many sip fuel as economically. Maybe even the CBR500R is lower, don't recall. I know there were some Suzukis that were...

The Triumph Tiger 800 has the same height as the CB500x. But I think you might be happy with a CTX700. it's based on the NC with a lower seat height (28.3) and foot forward design (it loses the Frunk).

The new Rebel 500 has a low seat height, but the style is not for everyone.

The CB500X is a great bike! Even, at 5'8" and 32" inseam, I find the ergonomics of the CB to be better than the NC. The NC, with the laid down engine and the frunk, is a long reach to the bars. Good luck!

I really like the look of the CB500X, and I'm secretly hoping that I will win one in a competition from the weekend. The fact that I haven't received a call yet suggests I probably haven't though.

Today I stopped at a bike shop and a lady on a CTX700 stopped next to me. The bike looked amazing, and the seat height looked significantly lower than mine. She loves the bike, but she was envious of the frunk when I put my helmet in. If you're not looking for any off-road stuff, the CTX looked like a real winner for highway riding.

Anyway, enjoy your ride, whatever you're riding.

Thanks for the advice and the suggestions all! I appreciate it.

I think the CTX700 is still too heavy for me, as is the Triumph Tiger. I have gotten a lot better at handling the big-to-me bike, but shedding weight is also a major consideration in this move. I also like riding sporty/twisties frequently, so I'm not sure the CTX riding position would be good for me.

Definitely ogled them, though!

i sat on the rebel 500 , the sitting position is better then the CTX as your feet are placed directly below you instead of forward.is the same 500cc engine on the cb.

by the way what seat did you get? i might be interested if you are willing to sell or trade for an OEM seat

I understand your desire for a bike with a lower seat height and also lighter. Being "mentally comfortable" with your bike goes a long way to boost confidence in your riding! :eek:

plenty of "top 10 bikes for women" type articles via search engine -- but amazed how many of them list multiple harleys

plenty of "top 10 bikes for women" type articles via search engine -- but amazed how many of them list multiple harleys

A number of the Softail models seem to be very appealing to women, at least from a style standpoint, although I would think the weight makes them a poor choice (300kg butt naked). Plus, the seat is some 8cm lower than on the NC which would appeal to shorter riders. My wife has seen a number of Harleys that catch her eye, yet she seems less than enamoured of my NC. No taste...at least where bikes are concerned. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The CB500X is a very good Motorcycle. You will find out how good when You ride one. I have yet to see a bad report of one. It is also on my radar for some time in the future when what I currently have, gets to heavy and tall for me.

It is. I got to ride with an experienced rider from Tennessee that really loved his and we had a great time comparing rides. But still, it was not a real low sitting height, seemed like it was only maybe 3/4 of an inch lower....

The CB500X is 50 lbs lighter than the NC700x, which can make a big difference when moving it on your tip toes. If it feels better riding it, go for it.

Whenever I check, there's hardly any used CB500Xs for sale. That says something about the bike and owner satisfaction.

We helped our son Max buy a used 2014 CB500X last summer. I rode that bike the 30 miles home from the dealer, it was a blast to ride, I had no trouble keeping up with and passing rush hour traffic, it's a fantastic little bike. The CB500F might be a better fit for you. With a 28 inch inseam Max is on tip-toes sitting on an ATV seat pad he added to the bike. Good luck to you, hope you find what you are looking for.

yeah, everybody seems to project what THEY'D get with their height in mind... I've been around enough people that feel a bit stressed dealing with more seat height and weight than they'd really like. If we were talking dirt-bike oriented dualsports they'd have slim pickin's, but most other categories have way more choices for lower seating. better to check a few things out, sit on 'em and see what they are saying to one's body and sensibilities.

[...yeah, everybody seems to project what THEY'D get with their height in mind...]

With the graying of America's riders, seat height and vehicle weight are important considerations...although too many manufacturers seems to be making taller and taller motorcycles! It currently seems like 32-33" is the low norm and doesn't include the towering Adv bikes!

Back