• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Begrudgingly selling my NC for a CB; just not friendly enough to small rider

With 30" inseam, I feel much more comfortable on stock CBX compared to stock NCX. Every time I go to dealer I sit on their showroom model and every single time I get impressed with how light and (subjectively) low the CBX is. It just fits me better. Of course, the NCX has its strong points which led me to buy one. Now that I’ve lowered my NCX by ~ 1.2in, I feel more “at home” riding it.

Appreciate all your feedback folks. I had a good heart to heart with my significant other about it, and he reminded me how well I've been doing and how close I have been to really mastering this bike in spite of its size. Giving up on it feels like giving up on 80% of the bikes on the market, y'know? The main thing I would have to fix to work for me, is getting more than 2" risers on the bars (which is what I have right now) to get the kink out of my back when I am riding. I need to pull the bars back closer to me by maybe an inch more, inch and a half at most, but I think my control cables are at their safe limit. Does anyone know anything about extended cable kits?

Sorry to necro resurrect the old thread. It's really hard for me to part with a bike I like so much. Especially since the CB just isn't all that much lighter, after testing, to make enough difference for me. Might as well keep working with / improving on what I have!

I'm assumming you have a manual trans bike, but f it's DCT then disregard the following on the clutch cable. We have confirmed that the clutch cable from the Honda CTX700 will give you a slightly longer compatible clutch cable. Buying a custom made longer brake hose is easy to do. I'm at 2 inch rise and it seems the stock throttle cables might still have an inch of slack left. If not maybe the CTX can help us there too. That leaves the electrical cables to deal with. Extending them would be tedious but entirely do-able.

I have a 2" riser on my bike, To get it on I had to slightly re-route the electrical cables and in doing so got plenty extra slack. The clutch and brake cables seem to be about maxed out though, but I can't see them being terribly hard to replace with longer ones if needed.

I'm pretty average sized and wouldn't mind a bit more of a riser myself. You would think that this would be a common thing that a lot of people would do to get any bike to fit them properly, and Honda would have allowed for more adjustment.

Zeta handlebars in various sweeps, widths and rises

pv01.jpg

Cool, thanks!! You guys are awesome. I'll dig into it this weekend to figure out measurements for the handlebars and cables, what I need, etc. Be a nice excuse to upgrade to steel-braided brake line while I'm at it, too. And my BF can solder so if we need to extend the electrical cables, we're golden.

Thanks all!!

The CB500X is a very good Motorcycle. You will find out how good when You ride one. I have yet to see a bad report of one. It is also on my radar for some time in the future when what I currently have, gets to heavy and tall for me.

I agree with Griff. The CB500X is a super bike. I had one for 3 days when my NC750X was in for warranty work.

To be honest I would miss the DCT and the frunk, but it is actually a nicer motorcycle than the NC I thought.

It was over a year ago and I am 5 10, I don't remember much about the seating height.

I bought a set of use Buell Blast bars on E-Bay for $40 many months ago and have been happy with the conversion. I wanted bars that were both narrower (end-to-end) and were taller. Chopping off 1" from the ends of the standard bars would have satisfied my width requirement but not leave enough of a straight section to mount the parking brake plus they'd still be low bars that required risers.

The Blast bars also have a tiny bit more pullback at the grips but that wasn't a bother - pullback effects the angle of your wrists when riding and ideally your wrists would be in a straight line with your forearms. It's been a while but I recall they were roughly 2" narrower and about 1-1/2" taller. All the hoses and cables worked without any mods and there is enough straight length on the left for my parking brake (DCT).

Honda handlebar switches are held steady on the bars by a molded male pin on the bottom half of the switch housing and it fits into a hole in the handlebar, so I had to drill a hole on each side but that was easy. I seem to recall some very minor problem with the insert that holds the bar end weight but forgot what it was.

Slightly narrow bars that are higher allow me to sit in a more upright position. :)

Last edited:
I read this thread with interest, just the same as the thread talking about the "super uncomfortable" stock seat.
I have this opinion.
That there is no perfect bike and there are no perfect riders.
When you ride a bike, there is a certain level of "discomfort" or adjustments to that level so that one is "comfortable" with the bike.
Although there are many different types of riders out there, with different needs, it needs to be said again, adjust yourself to the bike as much as possible. If that is still not possible, then look for an alternative ride.
If, like you said, the NC is already representing 80% of the bikes ergonomics out there, then it is really YOU who must adjust yourself or change your expectations.

If we want to make the bike as comfortable as sitting in a big cushy leather sofa in the living room, then stay in the living room.
:D

Not trying to invoke any hard discussions, but just sharing my view on "being a biker".

Have a nice time customising and have fun riding. If it is painful...then stop.

Try the 650 vulcan by Kawasaki , the bike is adjustable to the rider to include seat , bars ,and foot pegs. The motor is also very peppy as it is from a sport bike.

Alright, after much waffling about and exploration of costs, deciding the bars and cables would be too expensive, then looking at a ton of alternative bikes, I've decided that the CBR500R would be a better fit for me. The ergonomic design is much more approachable since it's a lot like a naked bike riding style. I actually felt extremely comfortable sitting on the CBR500R, and it felt very similar to the 500F or 300F. If I didn't have to do freeway the 300F would be an amazing choice.

I will be listing my aftermarket parts on Ebay soon to help fund the bike transfer!

Alright, after much waffling about and exploration of costs, deciding the bars and cables would be too expensive, then looking at a ton of alternative bikes, I've decided that the CBR500R would be a better fit for me. The ergonomic design is much more approachable since it's a lot like a naked bike riding style. I actually felt extremely comfortable sitting on the CBR500R, and it felt very similar to the 500F or 300F. If I didn't have to do freeway the 300F would be an amazing choice.

I will be listing my aftermarket parts on Ebay soon to help fund the bike transfer!

Good choice! The 500s handle well, have good ergos, and are fun to ride.

I'm now on my 2nd CB500X which I'm very happy with. Having had much larger bikes but having to get something lower and lighter due to a serious foot injury in December 2013 I thought it would be far less fun. I can assure you that is not the case. Having had to retire the fact that I get 80+ MPG (UK Gallons) also helps. On the first one I had the loweing kit but on the 2016 model I can manage perfectly well despite my 28" inside leg. My wife has changed her CBF1000 and 600 Hornet for the "F" version and also finds it good fun

Welcome back, Rocker66! It's been a long while.

I got an email notifying me of a reply to a very old thread and saw that there was a thread regarding the Honda CB500X which following my accident is my choice of ride. I used to really enjoy this forum but sadly had to leave due to the amount of personal abuse I was getting from 2 members both on and off forum.
Glad to see that it is still going strong and wish you all safe riding

Back