• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Best Gas Mileage.

The 1st few tank fulls were averaging in the mid 50 mpg range. As I put more miles on, the mpg increased. I now have over 3000 miles on it and the last time I checked MPG, I got 74 mpg. That was mixed riding on back roads and a couple of main roads, at speeds averaging 50 mph. Also, I don't use 6th gear much. My riding of main roads is minimal. So 99% of the time it's in 4th or 5th keeping the RPM around 3500 to 4000 . My NS700X engine is in a happy zone at those RPMs. Naturally it will cruise at lower RPMs , but my ears and other senses tell me the little 670 likes to be in the rev range mentioned. I have no problem with that even though it will pull like a little mule at lower revs. Some day, I'll try running it using 6th gear and see what type of MPG I get just for fun. Ironically, I didn't actually buy the 700x for its' fuel milage. I just like the overall design of the bike. And it lends itself to farkles.

When I did all back roads in a single day ride just last week. I got 84 mpg. I fill up at the same place and to the same level every time.

Also does anyone here hate gas pumps where it's all or nothing? There's a few gas stations here like that where it's impossible to control the flow. Some you can squeeze and a slow trickle comes out making it easy to consistently and safely fill up. Some it comes gushing out full speed the moment you squeeze past a certain point.

I have the six speed manual. I get fuel mileage consistently between 75-80 mpg. Normal commuting and Sunday fun rides. Not many highway miles. I shift at around 3200 rpm and only shift into 6th gear at 50 mph or above.

I DID IT!!! Finally. I broke 70 MPG on the DCT version. 71.8 to be exact: Fuelly link

This was with warm temperatures (80-90F) and road speeds 45-60MPH. In D (drive) mode. I didn't baby it, but I was not aggressive. Some of the roads where stop and go, most of them was flowing traffic.

For the record I have the Calsci medium shield, and 3500 miles on the motorcycle.

Maybe to avoid ethanol.

Sent from my LG-L40G using Tapatalk 2

Here in California you're getting 10% Ethanol regardless what octane fuel you put in. Running a higher octane than your motor is designed for does absolutely nothing for performance. It won't hurt it, either, unlike running too-low of an octane than your motor was designed for (as you can get pre-detonation). Nonetheless, the placebo affect makes people happy.

I have noticed, however, after looking at my fuel-up data that when I fuel up with name-brand fuel (Shell or Chevron) compared to no-name brand, like "Gas Mart" or "Costco" brand gasoline, I always see a 2-5mpg increase in fuel economy. My commute is the same, and I ride the same way, the only varying factor is the brand of gasoline. I was surprised to see the difference.

I'm willing to bet that in a car, or a vehicle with 15+ gallons of gasoline, the negligible difference in gasoline performance isn't as obvious. On our NC's though, we're talking about something where even .2 of a gallon difference in usage changes our MPG by 2, 3 or even 4mpg. In that case, quality of gasoline definitely makes a difference. Whether or not it's cost effective is an entirely different subject.

That's funny because when I go to Las Vegas and visit my best friend Costco gas consistently gives me better gas mileage on the drive back compared to regular name brand gas. And that drive is pretty much constant and I always set my cruise control to 60 mph for the best mpg's achieved by not constantly having to gun it to pass people you'd be surprised just how many people you end up passing if you set your cruise control to 65 mph. With that said Arco is consistently the worst performer for me regardless of where I fill up.

That's funny because when I go to Las Vegas and visit my best friend Costco gas consistently gives me better gas mileage on the drive back compared to regular name brand gas. And that drive is pretty much constant and I always set my cruise control to 60 mph for the best mpg's achieved by not constantly having to gun it to pass people you'd be surprised just how many people you end up passing if you set your cruise control to 65 mph. With that said Arco is consistently the worst performer for me regardless of where I fill up.

I used Costco gas as an example without having direct experience, I assumed it was in the same league as my local "GAS MART" and "Rotten Robbie" type gas, because of the price. So take that with a grain of salt, based on your results apparently Costco has good gas.

Nonetheless, I was surprised to see a reduction in fuel economy with no-name brand gas. I kind of figured it would have less "cleaning" additives, but it would produce power just as well as the name brand gasoline. I guess I was wrong.

The only way I even noticed it was I would get, say, 70mpg one day, then 63 the next, then 67 the next, then 60 the next. Well, since I have to go 220 miles (commuting) every 2 days, I fill up at the opposite end. On my commutes where I would fill up at work, I would always use the no-name brand gas because it was cheaper. When I went into fuelly to check my data and figure out why it was moving around so much in similar conditions, with 65mph freeway riding, I noticed that the lower-fuel cost (cheap gasoline was like 20c cheaper per gallon) was ALWAYS associated with the lower MPG results.

Why are you using a higher octane than you need?

why not? it's only a few cents difference on such small tank. ok,maybe a dollar at max. but in exchange you are getting maximum performance and mpg. why it's a must to use premium on german cars? from my experience-it's better for your car\bike. i've mentioned here that i use to deliver parts on little 95 nissan sentra. using corp. gas card i always filled it with 93. after 450000 miles car was like new,but eventually totaled in rear end accident. mobil syntetic oil and premium fuel. that was my recipe.

I still haven't been able to break 80mpg, though I did get ~78 on one tank. I'm pretty sure I could break 80 if I would take a ride on a nice, pleasant, open road at about 50 - 60 mph.

P.S. Costco gasoline returns me mpg at least equal to the best of any brand I use (normally only TopTier, unless I'm in a place where there isn't that). Costco advertizes 5x the detergent additive as compared to what the gov't requires. Even Conoco (a TopTier brand) only advertizes 3x the gov't requirement.

i got those 80 mpg on regular suburbs roads riding at 35-45 mph with occasional stops\traffic lights. i'm pretty sure that coasting at steady 55-65 mph one can get even better mileage. interested to see,if synthetic oil will improve the mileage even further.

On my Hwy 101 trip last weekend I averaged 71.5 MPG over 900 miles with my best segment being 78.9!

73.9 mpg, Hilly terrain, mostly below 45mph, Barkbuster Storm Handguards, MRC Vario windscreen.

64.7 worst, higher speed, hilly and level terrain, same mods.

I have the manual btw.

On this trip between Tok AK and Fairbanks I got right at 60mpg.The next day between Fairbanks and Coldfoot I got 68mpg.The next day from Cooldfoot up the Dalton and back to Coldfoot in " FUEL SAVING MODE " I got 75.8mpg !!.It all depends on my right wrist,@ or below 3,000rpm's I get 75+, 3,000-3,500 I get around the mid 60's,over 3,500 I get 60 and below....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back