• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

big bore/stroker kit?

I already run 91 in my bike, so no worries there. As fun as it is to talk what-if scenarios with forced induction and all, I think bumping the compression a bit and a more aggressive cam grind along with tuning would make most of the it's-got-no-power crowd more accepting.

Agreed, I would be up for trying both of those mods. This chassis with its low center of gravity and another ten horsepower, sounds like a win win to me!

Honda already tried turbo bikes and the negative effects were worse than the positive ones on a 500

I'll go to my grave loudly proclaiming my CX500Turbo was absolutely awesome, and hands down the best bike I've ever owned. Maybe in the grand scheme of things, compared to all other types and models of bikes they could be objectively dismissed as inferior in a variety of measurable calculations, but for me, I found it was far greater than the sum of it's parts.

Having owned and ridden a stock CX500 as well, I giggle at the idea of "negatives" the Turbo had in comparison to it...

I would be all over a nicely done turbo kit for the NCX. After seeing the differences first hand on other engines, I like 'em! More power when you need it without the mpg hit.
(If you can keep off the throttle.) Besides who doesn't like the sound of one spooling up?

Answer? I'm still wondering what the question is ???

An exercise in futility itself.

In Heaven there will be a certain number of male angels who are seldom seen wearing their wings because they will devote a large portion of eternity to gathering beneath shade trees modding them to make them better.....even if they know it is impossible or that the results won't rationally justify the effort.

An exercise in futility itself.

In Heaven there will be a certain number of male angels who are seldom seen wearing their wings because they will devote a large portion of eternity to gathering beneath shade trees modding them to make them better.....even if they know it is impossible or that the results won't rationally justify the effort.

Oh c'mon, who doesn't want a jetpack!?

If anything the bigger pistons would be more economical, working less to get to a desired speed.

That's only true if the bike is subsequently regeared to match the new powerband so that you have an even slower revving engine at a given speed. If you maintain the same engine RPM for a given speed with a big bore kit you still decrease fuel efficiency because of increased pumping losses due to larger pistons.

"A cylinder with a high bore-to-stroke ratio is more efficient, because there is a higher ratio of piston head surface area to cylinder (including head) surface area. Therefore, a higher percentage of the combustion energy pushes directly onto the piston."

Sergeant, I thought about throwing a turbo on my Jeep. I think I am crazy. I have a 415 sbc stroker motor I have laying around... Do I dare throw it in my jeep? :confused:

Last edited:
Sergeant, I thought about throwing a turbo on my Jeep. I think I am crazy. I have a 415 sbc stroker motor I have laying around... Do I dare throw it in my jeep? :confused:

Without going into tons of detail or giving my opinion I will say this about why I chose a supercharger over a turbo.

I'm a noob on induction issues so keep that in mind. Turbos end up with lots of hot pipes underneath the vehicle. While that's fine on a street car, it is a potential issue when you may be submerging the bottom of the vehicle in water and mud. And regardless of heat, it could create issues with skid plating that you might want to undertake given that you may be traversing rocky/stump filled areas.

If you can get 80% of the benefits of a turbo for less cost and greater reliability in a trail setting, I think I prefer a supercharger.

For example, one of my favorite features of my RIPP Supercharger kit is the ability to completely uninstall it with simple hand tools on the trail or you replace your stock belt on the engine without routing it around the supercharger pulley. So if it malfunctions in some way, you can still go back to your ordinary 3.8 presuming the malfunction didn't actually damage the engine. I don't think you can do that with a turbo?

I don't want to get off subject to much but those two reasons are why I stayed away from a turbo. They get hot and don't like to get submerged and if they break down you a screwed.

JMHO

Without going into tons of detail or giving my opinion I will say this about why I chose a supercharger over a turbo.

I'm a noob on induction issues so keep that in mind. Turbos end up with lots of hot pipes underneath the vehicle. While that's fine on a street car, it is a potential issue when you may be submerging the bottom of the vehicle in water and mud. And regardless of heat, it could create issues with skid plating that you might want to undertake given that you may be traversing rocky/stump filled areas.

If you can get 80% of the benefits of a turbo for less cost and greater reliability in a trail setting, I think I prefer a supercharger.

For example, one of my favorite features of my RIPP Supercharger kit is the ability to completely uninstall it with simple hand tools on the trail or you replace your stock belt on the engine without routing it around the supercharger pulley. So if it malfunctions in some way, you can still go back to your ordinary 3.8 presuming the malfunction didn't actually damage the engine. I don't think you can do that with a turbo?

I don't want to get off subject to much but those two reasons are why I stayed away from a turbo. They get hot and don't like to get submerged and if they break down you a screwed.

JMHO

I hear you. I've never messed around with a supercharger or a turbo for that matter. I've been more of an "all motor" guy. I have an idea for my jeep, one that is rather out there and well.. crazy. But I will shoot you pics and links in a PM. Sorry to jack the thread.

But as for the original thread goes, it is possible to do a .25 over piston kit in the NC700X and bore the stock cylinders. Part # is 13102-MGS-D30 PISTON (O.S. 0.25). As 670cc stated:

0.25mm oversize will get you 4.5cc displacement gain! That would be a big gain on a 49cc scooter, but not so much on the NC700.

Greg

As far as a turbo, it's viable I think on the NC. Problem is, finding room for it with that catalytic converter in the location it's in.

I would get a high flow air filter and exhaust, and send out the ecm to have the air-fuel adjustments made and have the rev limiter raised 1000 rpm. If that's not enough of an improvement, probably need to purchase a more powerful bike.

I would get a high flow air filter and exhaust, and send out the ecm to have the air-fuel adjustments made and have the rev limiter raised 1000 rpm. If that's not enough of an improvement, probably need to purchase a more powerful bike.

Beating the dead horse...................^^^^^^^^^^...........................it's been done (except for the rev limit (piston speed on the long stroke has its limits) ...........you spend a grand and get little or nothing in return.........it does get louder so sounds like you have more power:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have been thinking that a turbo kit could be utilized effectively on this motorcycle. Not a typical turbocharger install, but one where there are several valves in the intake. Basically, the idea being that the air goes in the intake as normal straight to the throttle body and out the exhaust through the turbo, keeping it spooled up. When you hit wide open throttle (or whatever setpoint you choose), the valves in the intake would activate routing the intake air through the turbocharger and into the throttle body. This would give you boost only at the times you want the extra power, otherwise you would run around with the stock engine and economy. The lag should be pretty minimal and, after you are accustomed to it, you would be able to anticipate the lag and plan ahead to have boost ready when you want it. Running only a few pounds boost, you could run stock pistons without much concern of detonation and I think the engine would respond well to a bit more air. Implemented from the factory (NC700XT), this could be pretty slick and utilize dished pistons for more safety/reliability. The expected benefit for the extra complexity is that you would essentially have stock performance and MPG all of the time until you want that extra 10HP (passing or going up a mountain, for instance).

Last edited:
Back