• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Blindspot Mirror Mod Prototype

It seems like you misunderstand how focal distance works. The distance along the path the light travels, whether directly from the object to your eye or via mirrors/reflections, is that focal distance. In other words, the distance your eyes are focused for is precisely the same whether you're looking directly at an object that's 20 yards away, or looking at an object that's really only 1 yard behind you, but at which you are looking via a series of mirrors such that the light path is 20 yards. That's how come so many optometrists now use a couple of mirrors in a small exam room rather than having long hallway-type exam rooms.

So you are saying the eyes dont refocus depending on distance? Maybe you dont have very good understanding of human physiology.. the freeway is hardly an optomotrists room, and this fun-house mirror is hardly a calibrated machine....lol.... try my little experiment, but use a small mirror instead of a computer screen... Then get back to me.....

Look, this is a gimmick, but i see now how it has the weaker minds fooled... Go ahead, put two on your bike....lol
Maybe it will double your IQ AND your field of vision.... But then you'd all have to pull your heads out of your backsides to see anything in the first place..... Have fun with it....

Probably because I am.

The family car is too old and cheap to have them. But you should see the ones on my truck!

Why are you so ardently against enhanced situational awareness?

Ya i know....lol
And if you read anything i wrote, you will see that my whole argument was for safety and against this because I didnt feel it was a safer alternative... But if you are that into it... Go for it...

Just to interject a bit of reality here, if you are only two car lengths behind a vehicle at freeway speeds, you are not riding/driving safely or legally for that matter. Mirrors don't matter, you need to be fixed on what is ahead of you in that situation.

If a car "locks" up the brakes in front of you, that gives you extra stopping room. Sliding cars do not stop as fast as controlled braking. You probably meant a car in front initiating a panic stop. Either way, hitting your own brakes is usually not the best move. I always plan on moving left or right first and am constantly aware of avenues of escape - situational awareness if you will - and always picturing the most stupid thing vehicles around me might do from moment to moment. I'm too young to die.

Healthy differences of opinion are to be cherished and strived towards; but let's keep this polite and civil, ok folks? No need to veer off into the personal snarky stuff.

IMHO :p

Just to interject a bit of reality here, if you are only two car lengths behind a vehicle at freeway speeds, you are not riding/driving safely or legally for that matter. Mirrors don't matter, you need to be fixed on what is ahead of you in that situation.

If a car "locks" up the brakes in front of you, that gives you extra stopping room. Sliding cars do not stop as fast as controlled braking. You probably meant a car in front initiating a panic stop. Either way, hitting your own brakes is usually not the best move. I always plan on moving left or right first and am constantly aware of avenues of escape - situational awareness if you will - and always picturing the most stupid thing vehicles around me might do from moment to moment. I'm too young to die.

I suppose this post is addressing what I said about a car locking up it's brakes in front of you at freeway speeds. I didn't mention a 2 car-length following distance, but I agree it is neither safe nor legal. I was merely pointing out that even if a head look glance only takes 1/4 - 1/2 of a second, you will have traveled some significant distance during that time. This is true regardless of your following distance. I try to always have an "avenue of escape", but there are occasions when you suddenly find yourself boxed in; maybe during rush hour in a big port city with lots of trucks, narrow lanes, and concrete construction barriers. Hard braking and luck might be the only option available. In any case I'd rather not have to do head checks to stay on top of my viable escape avenues. Wonder if a wide-angle center mounted mirror might help even if I couldn't read the plate on the vehicle beside me? :)

I couldn't use a centre mount convex mirror for the simple reason I would become seasick, ralph in my helmet, and then careen off the road into the ditch, lol

image.jpg

I probably wouldn't use one, but don't think it's a bad idea either. Preference like Jay Fridays said. Had a police officer show up in an instant to my left the other day, as he passed me on the shoulder. Not sure where he came from, but either way I should have seen him in the two mirrors I already have. Luckily he had somewhere to be and ignored how fast I was going.:)

Back