• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bluetooth intercom sets: Which ones and why?

I use a Blinc M1 set up on my Icon Variant helmet. I use it mostly for music and rarely for phone calls. For Music, it seems pretty good. Descent volume at 50+ mph on a loud 2t. Bluetooth connection to my Iphone seems pretty solid. Phone calls vary a bit. I guess it depends on whop you are talking to. Some people I can hear perfectly and they can here me just fine with no wind noise. Other people I cant hear at all and they complain about the background noise.

It has intercom functions built into it as well. But I have not had much luck with that. Only one of my friends has the same head set and I'm convinced that he chose poorly on placement of the mic boom and the speakers. I can hear him, but he cant hear me at all. It is said to only have a 1/4 mile range, but while riding in a small group (5 or 6) a 1/4 mile isnt bad.

The price of the Blinc M1 is great! I got mine n Ebay new for $90 and have seen them at Cycle Gear for like $125 or so. The down side is that it only has a 4 hour battery life for constant music or intercom. But the stand by is 40 hours. So, for the price, you can't beat the unit.

I bought a Sena SMH 10-11 and it is pretty good. I can hear my music/news at 70 mph. I called my Dad while I was parked then hit the road, He could hear me at 70 mph but said he could hear the wind. My helmets are the HJC IS MAX BT, they are a little noisy but fit me great. I am impressed enough that I just purchased another SMH 10-11 for my sons helmet.

I also have the Sena SMH10. I don't have any comments on the phone call quality other than it works sitting still -- haven't tried to call anyone riding.

I bought it mostly just for music. After years of screwing around with various earbud setups (and none of them being very good), I wanted wireless connectivity. With the Sena, even at 70+ MPH I can hear my music great with ear plugs in. In fact, I usually have it turned down a click or two. Pairs easily with my Android phone.

Battery life seems very good. I've gone out for 6-7 hours on rides and still have 'Medium' battery life left (no actual % numbers are given).

I think the SMH10 runs about $150, but the slightly detuned SMH5 is ~$95.

I like it. Seems the Sena and the Scala are top two people like.

trey

I know... It would be a great thing. I expect it is a long way off though. I use my mainly for music, phone, and directions though. It has changed riding for me. I've actually been able to do a little work while riding. Now tell me that is not awesome!

Kev
its not awesome,,I believe its kind of sad,,,,Man!!! do,nt you get any peace!!!!!!

I also have the Sena SMH10. I don't have any comments on the phone call quality other than it works sitting still -- haven't tried to call anyone riding.

I bought it mostly just for music. After years of screwing around with various earbud setups (and none of them being very good), I wanted wireless connectivity. With the Sena, even at 70+ MPH I can hear my music great with ear plugs in. In fact, I usually have it turned down a click or two. Pairs easily with my Android phone.

Battery life seems very good. I've gone out for 6-7 hours on rides and still have 'Medium' battery life left (no actual % numbers are given).

I think the SMH10 runs about $150, but the slightly detuned SMH5 is ~$95.

I like it. Seems the Sena and the Scala are top two people like.

trey
I am seriously looking at the Sena ( there,s a particularly good review on Hell for Leather) I really am only interested so far in just the music and no wires,,but I expect I will be drawn into all the other stuff,,,but to be honest I,m have abit of a Mobile phone phobia,,can,t stand the things,,,Age I guess!!!!!

I got the Sena SMH5 - first as an intercom to be able to talk to my wife on the pillion, secondly for music and phone.

It works well for all - on the phone at town speeds even with an open face helmet it's so clear the person on the other end of the line doesn't realise I'm on the bike. Music is good enough and I can control play back using the dial on the SMH5. The intercom is a bit clunky - usually connects well but sometimes needs a couple of attempts. Once connected though it also works fine.

Just switched to a Nolan N91 flip front helmet and find the fit of the boom microphone a bit difficult to get right - had to take off the wind shield on the bottom of the front panel as it pushed the microphone out of place every time I closed the front.

I recently went to show and thought the new Uclear inter-comm is amazing. we did field test in the show although it could be all different story when riding.

I'm going with the U-Clear,the boomless mic sold it for me.We have HJC mod helmets and a boom mic is a PITA !!!.Also the sound is supposed to be pretty amazing and at $149 each ( I need 2 ) there a pretty good buy ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
After wanting to go the Sena route, I read that the G9 speakers were a little better.. Ended up getting an awesome deal on a G9 power set (350otd) instead.

I have to say, I am impressed. My phone rings I have to take it or I don't make any money. 80mph on the so cal freeway with the noisiest helmet money can buy (HJC FS-15 Carbon), no problem!! People I talk to tell me it sounds clearer and quieter than the Bluetooth in my truck even at freeway speeds. Volume actually needs to be turned down and remains super clear.

Only thing I don't like, pain in the arse to remember how to pair it with a buddy.

I like my Sena SMH-10 for it's simplicity, but my Mom said my voice was muffled I was sitting still at that time. The last time my Dad called he said I sounded like I had my head in a barrel. I was riding about 65 mph.
They could both hear me well but they could tell it wasn't Memorex.
My helmet is a HJC is max bt by the way.

Last edited:
We have a Scala team set ( about 4 years old )it was ok for bike to bike but nothing else.It totally died last year and now it's time to replace before Alaska.
Having a boom mic with a mod helmet kinda sucks,I have to repostion the mic everytime I open up the helmet,plus the mic always rests against my lips which bugs the hell out of me.
I was not going to get another com set until I heard about the U-Clear,so we'll give it a try.

I am using the Suomy D20 modular helmet with the communication system. Was tricky to install the communication kit, but is working fine now.

Hi all
I am in the hunt for a set of Bluetooth intercom set.
I was recommended the Cardo system (G2 or G4).

I want to do
biker-to-pillion,
biker to BT phone
biker to BT music
biker to biker
etc

Anyone care to comment what is out there?

~Joe
:D

A happy Sena SMH-10 user here. Also liked the Scala's, but got a great deal on the Sena, and their additional microphone kits only run at about $35 and allow you to use it on different helmets. I have the small (quarter sized) stick-on microphone kit in my Qwest's face bar, and the regular boom microphone set up in an open face HJC IS-33, and despite the greater wind noise inherent with an open face, I'm told it's actually clearer sounding than the Qwest setup, which can sound a little muffled - Having said that, I suspect I actually do sound a little muffled in the Qwest due to the cheekpads pressing in.

As this is the first one I've owned I can't say that the SMH10 is better than the Scala's, et al, but I can say that I have no regrets at all going with the Sena. The firmware software works acceptably with my Mac, the speakers are loud enough and reproduce telephone calls and music just fine (I wear ear plugs), and it's super easy to use - one button push and Siri is right there! Incidentally, it did appear to me that the speakers with the Sena SMH-5 are a little smaller than the SMH-10, and that was a factor in my buying choice.

I'm sure I'd have had no regrets with other makes either (they were all reviewed glowingly), but The G9 was a fair bit more money at the time for both the unit and the extra speakers sets, which ultimately tipped the balance to the SMH10 for me.

I can't believe they work but Webbike world gave them pretty good reveiws and they make them for military helmets for battle field use so ??.

I just bought the new Sena SMH10R Low profile one. The Admin had recently posted a link to the Webbike world review. I've been looking at getting the previous model for sometime just never pulled the trigger yet. Glad I waited. The SMH10R is slimmer and doesn't stick out as far as the others and has an external battery that can be replaced when/if it fails, as all batteries give out over time. I never had one before, so I'm not missing the jog dial from the older versions. So far I like it, call quality was good, call the little woman on the way to work with it. It was pretty windy today and she could still hear me just fine. While I wasn't on the phone with her I was streaming music from my phone. Sound quality was better than the plug-phones I was using prior to getting this, but it's not perfect. The volume can get very loud, but not without some distortion of the sound. Over-all I'm very happy with the purchase so far!

Back