• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bluetooth intercom sets: Which ones and why?

I have the Sena SM5-FM. My only complaint is nobody I ride with has one so I can't test out the intercom. The music is fine. The phone works great. I've even sent and received text messages from my iPhone. And installing it into my Arai RX-Q only took 20 minutes. Oh, and the FM radio isn't too bad.

I bought a pair of Uclear HBC100's last week and they same to work good.These are the BOOMLESS mic ones so there great for a modular helmet.We are going on a ride tomorrow to try them out,then we leave for a 7,000 mile Alaska trip on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the Bluetooth devices have came so far in the last two years. Two years ago none of them were that good, now they are all great. I do wish they all had boomless microphones. I have eaten a lot of sponge over the years.8.jpg

smileyHeadset.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Bought a pair ( $300 ) for our Alaska trip that we are still on .1st day they worked ok ( we bought them just for bike to bike ) by the end of day 1 she had to be within 20-30 feet to talk. the morning of day 2 she damn near had to be touching my rear wheel to talk,by the end of day 2 they quit working and mine would not shut down.Sometime that night it shut off and never turned on again.We REALLY wanted to be able to talk on the Dalton so I could warn my wife when the road got really bad.I will be returning them to Cycle Gear next week when we get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is nothing like the real world to test any thing or one. Looks like everything else has gone just perfect on nortwestrider trip. Keep it rolling!3.jpg

Smileyok.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Do any of these bluetooth units allow you to use them while charging?

I guess I'm old school but I just can't rely on batteries to last. If I'm going to ride a 14 or 17 hour day I don't want to have to do it without podcasts, music, phone gps in my ear, etc.

I haven't had much issue with wires so I haven't seen the need to go wireless yet, but maybe I am missing something?

What are the advantages for wireless? smileyquestion.jpg

The Sena SMH-10R that I recently purchased can be used while charging. It also has an external battery that can be changed out when it goes bad or you can buy spares for about $20 a pop and then you've got a back up battery if one dies.

What exactly are the advantages to wireless over wired. I plug in my helmet wire when I get on the bike and I'm set for as many hours or miles as I need to go. I've got my GPS, MP3, Cell phone, and if I ever add a CB or FRS radio I can plug that in as well (all at the same time).
What I'm not getting is why is wireless better other than that one wire running to my helmet?
Of course I do have to have the riderlink unit which does uses batteries that I change out once a year before they die on their own.

I'm not trying to be smart or anything, I just don't see what is better about wireless over wired. I must be missing something because I see quite a few people riding with these bluetooth units and many of them do tens of thousands of miles a year. What am I missing here that I don't see the need for it?

I hate to miss out on a good thing... what am I not getting here? These aren't cheap so they have to be worth it for people to be buying them like they are

smileyconfused.jpg

+1 on the Sena SMH-10R. Long battery life, can be used while charging and you can get a spare battery. I've used it for 12 hours and still had battery life.
The plus on wireless is no wires and not that I have tried it but bike to bike communication would seem to be difficult with wired :rolleyes:

+1 on the Sena SMH-10R. Long battery life, can be used while charging and you can get a spare battery. I've used it for 12 hours and still had battery life.
The plus on wireless is no wires and not that I have tried it but bike to bike communication would seem to be difficult with wired :rolleyes:

I guess if your using bike to bike communication with the bluetooth that would make it easy. I'd have to add a FRS radio or CB radio and connect it to the riderlink, and then connect it to a power source if I didn't want to worry about those batteries dying. Two more wires.

I suppose if I used FRS or CB regularly it might make me think about going wireless.

Right now my riderlink stays connected to my helmet, and I just put the riderlink inside my helmet and the helmet in the frunk. When I pull out my helmet to ride, I put the riderlink on the RAM mount, Put my cell in it's Ram cradle and connect an audio cable to the cell from the Riderlink and I'm done. (I do connect my cell to a USB charging cord for longer rides as well).

I still think I must be missing something though or maybe I just don't trust wireless enough...

You know that feeling when you know everyone else is getting something and you can't quite get it... that's the feeling I have every time I read one of these wireless posts. I am afraid I'm missing out on something really good. But for the life of me I just can't see it.

Can’t say that you missing anything. I’m bad about forgetting to unhook, catching the wires on stuff, etc so I find the wireless to be more convenient for me.

Back