• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Business must be good!

Fredtoo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Since last Thursday I have emailed 6 different Honda dealers in the general Raleigh, NC area requesting pricing and availability and have not heard from a single one. I guess I'll try Virginia....

or Honda isn't making many (especially the DCT) or the dealers don't want them. I just went through this buying my first bike ... was looking at both the DCT and the BMW F800GT. Pricing aside, dealers for both these bikes basically said their mgmt wasn't very interested in carrying either in stock because they perceive little market for them both. They consider them too small and that many/most buyers are coming in looking for 1,000+ cc bikes. The BMW dealer was especially clear on that point.

FYI -- I ultimately found a DCT, the only one in stock, and happened to get there before it was gone.

or Honda isn't making many (especially the DCT) or the dealers don't want them.

DCT is a fairly new technology, first introduced back in 2010. There are many people that do not know of its existence in the world today. There are also a lot of "Hardcore/Purest" out there that oppose it as well. The light bulb and telephone were not accepted widely in their humble beginnings.

I think that Honda needs to "Push" the envelope of this technology and offer more and more models of with it. Honda show be touring the country doing Demo Rides with a fleet of DCT powered machines to get them into the public's eye. That way they will be known and accepted as some point in the motorcycling community. It will take time to get the market to accept their value.

Just looked at what Zero Motorcycles has done and all the Demo Rides that they do nationwide year long. I test rode one twice and ended up buying one (Spaky) for many reasons other than it was a "Cool" bike.

Honda will be introducing the Africa Twin with a DCT option for those seeking it. That's a step in the right direction to get more PR for the DCT. They need to offer more and on almost ever model.

Since last Thursday I have emailed 6 different Honda dealers in the general Raleigh, NC area requesting pricing and availability and have not heard from a single one.

Have you called anyone on the phone? Some of these people that run these dealerships are "No School".

Try calling Hager Cycle World in Rock Hill, NC (803) 324-8800. I heard of them through Competition Accessories videos featuring Weekly Rides with Reuben. Reuben swore by them during his bike reviews.

Good Luck... ;)

I prefer emails to start as I can email 24/7 and think about my question(s) before hitting 'send'. ANY good salesman (woman) worth their weight in salt should pursue ANY lead. You don't have a Honda, tell them how good that in-stock Kawasaki is. No black, tell them how red makes them look hotter! Why do you need a 'DCT', I have a great deal on a non-DCT sitting here on the showroom floor. I get monthly emails from 2 HD dealers wanting my money..... Honda needs to look closer at the HD 'machine'.

I can't shake the feeling that Motorcycle Dealers are their own worst enemies. They are puzzling to say the least...

I prefer emails to start as I can email 24/7 and think about my question(s) before hitting 'send'. ANY good salesman (woman) worth their weight in salt should pursue ANY lead. You don't have a Honda, tell them how good that in-stock Kawasaki is. No black, tell them how red makes them look hotter! Why do you need a 'DCT', I have a great deal on a non-DCT sitting here on the showroom floor. I get monthly emails from 2 HD dealers wanting my money..... Honda needs to look closer at the HD 'machine'.

Well then, if you are a Costco Member then that will work to your advantage as their system is done purely on e-mails. Here's the link to the Costco Powersports Buy Program. They have participating dealers that will get back to you about the bike you are inquiring about and you get a Costco Gift Card for completing the purchase.

Last edited:
I think ALL Japanese brands could could learn form HD and BMW. Both brands have a fiercely loyal group of owners, with clubs and owners groups that have thousands of active members (BMW MOA, BMW RA, HOG). Most (not all) of their dealers support this image and since of comradery as it will only help to build the brand and their sales. Whenever I have been in a HD or BMW dealer I have to duck the keys being thrown at me for test rides. Most (not all) Japanese dealers I go to today are mega dealers caring all the Japanese brands in one huge building, and have the look,feel and service of a Walmart, and test rides are unheard of.

Whenever I have been in a HD or BMW dealer I have to duck the keys being thrown at me for test rides.

I have never been any good at ducking the keys. I rode a BMW S1000XR a few weeks ago. Happily I didn't like it. Vibrated like crazy. Then he put me on the R1200RS and I didn't like the ergos. I refused to ride the R1200GS because I knew it would be a sale and I really don't want a new BMW. Same reason I don't hunt strange pretty girls to snuggle up with. I rode a KTM 1290 but the dealer "led" me on the ride. When I got back I couldn't tell him the difference between it and my NC700.

I guess they get a lot of impulse sales. I bought an 1990 ST1100 that way when I went in for some oil filters. The dealer was a friend of mine, he yells "Lee, you got to ride this thing!" When I came back smiling he said "You're going to buy it, aren't you?" I said "You S.O.B. you know I am!"

It's all fun. Don't make work of it.

Whenever I have been in a HD or BMW dealer I have to duck the keys being thrown at me for test rides.

Yep, same here. I've actually had mini arguments with sales guys trying to get me to take their GSAs out. My husband looks a lot younger than he is and a lot of dealers assume he's some punk squid and basically laugh at him when he wants to test ride. Not the BMW shop. They just copy the license and hand over the keys.

I find myself turning quickly into what I used to call "an old codger". I hate SALESmen. Especially the slick ones who use those tactics described above - "I don't have what you want but you should buy this" . If I was approached by a "SALESman" that used those tactics, I would immediately walk out of the place. I really must be turning into a grump!.!

I prefer a sales staff who is consultative in their style in that they ask the right questions of me and that they honestly answer my questions in order to sell me the best product for me - Not the product that makes them the best margin and not the one that will allow them to win the daily sales contest.

I own a small retail business and am so busy that emails sometimes sit in my in-basket for a day or two before I get to read them. I much prefer to deal with people face-to-face. The folks who walk in my door have made a commitment to come and see me and I do my level best to take care of them. If my emails have to sit because of that - that's life.

I also have had more than one experience with people who send me emails asking for all the details and pricing for the latest, coolest, high-end items in our industry. And after spending considerable time trading emails, I discover that I am trading emails with a 17 year-old who has neither the intention nor the resources to purchase such an item. He was just bored, sitting at his keyboard having "conversations" with people like me.

I would recommend that you give the local dealers a call or go visit them (print a copy of your email to use as a script to get answers to your questions if that makes you feel comfortable) and not be so tough on them until you have a chance to get to know them. You might just find hard-working, honest folks that are really good at their jobs but who aren't good at email. That is not a sin.
Just my 2 cents. ;)
>T

I too run a small business and don't remember what a 8 hour day is so often use email as a first contact.

I could go on and on about potential customers, slick salesmen, tire kickers, etc but bottom line is: if you aren't going to respond to emails don't waste my time by suggesting you will on your web site....

The dealer I bought my NC from called me a year later asking if I was still interested in the NC I emailed them about.
Be patient, eventually they'll get back to you.

Call the sales manager at Team Powersports Garner on Tuesday. I sent a PM with name and number. He said to call and will help you directly.

Back