• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

camping on the NC this weekend

Had a fantastic weekend! The weather was near perfect and the roads, or lack thereof, were awesome!
We spent most of Saturday afternoon riding on a 2500 acrea ranch on the Colorado River. That was definitely the highlight of the trip! We nearly froze our asses off that night, but survived...didn't sleep well on the ground...may hafta rethink this whole camping idea!!!
Here's a couple of videos.

Part 1
1.18.2014 Riding the ranch ( Part One ) - YouTube

Part 2
1.18.2014 Riding the ranch ( Part Two ) - YouTube

tail bag looks good, think i will find out if available in the UK.

This bag is very well constructed and large!
It held all my camping gear on this ride ( tent and pad, sleeping bag , therma-rest pad, camp pillows, tire inflator and tire plug kit ).
I'm not sure how well the built-in rainfly works...never had to use it!
Found it online for less than $80!

smileyhandstwo.jpg
Had a fantastic weekend! The weather was near perfect and the roads, or lack thereof, were awesome!
We spent most of Saturday afternoon riding on a 2500 acrea ranch on the Colorado River. That was definitely the highlight of the trip! We nearly froze our asses off that night, but survived...didn't sleep well on the ground...may hafta rethink this whole camping idea!!!

8.jpg

Enjoyed your video. Looks like a great ride!

Last edited:
OCR - Thanks!
We had so much fun on the ranch. Doesn't even compare to the rocky roads we've ridden near Leakey or the mundane gravel roads around H-town!

2brnut2b - thanks...glad u enjoyed!

Last edited:
A Thermarest pad will go a long way to help get some sleep on the ground.

Thanks for the videos.

Had one ( post #23 )...it helped I'm sure. Mine is about 25 years old...they probably have improved the design over the years!
I think a thicker pad and full length would be good!

Glad you enjoyed the vids!

but survived...didn't sleep well on the ground...may hafta rethink this whole camping idea!!!

I had to give up on thermarests years ago due to my old creaky back. I have been very happy with a cheap Coleman air mattress, believe it or not. Super thick and air cushy. I think I get better sleep on that than I do my bed at home...

Stop in at an REI and you can test out the different air mattresses. They have a bunch aired up and ready to try out. They even have a raised platform so you don't have to lay on the ground to test them out.

After trying out exped and the Big Agnes Q core, I decided on the Q core. The exped is great, but has chambers that run the length of the mattress. The qcore has chambers that resemble an innerspring mattress so you get a more "mattress" feel to it. The Q core also packs up very small. It ain't cheap, but I finally got a brand new one off Ebay for around $82 with shipping.

Make sure you look at these mattresses packed up. Some are MUCH bigger than others packed, and as we all know.... space is a premium on a bike!

Here is a review with pics. One thing I would point out, is that I got the grey insulated version of the Q core, in all the reviews I read, people seemed to be much more satisfied with the grey insulated version than the orange uninsulated version pictured in this review. Also, the grey version is a bit wider.

BA Q-Core SL versus Exped UL7

Last edited:
I've slept on a bunch of different pads, thermarests, REI branded pads, Air mattresses, etc.

For comfort while camping I have only one piece of advice. Get off of the ground!

20130824_063011.jpg

I spent nearly 30 years sleeping on the ground while camping, I always woke up sore (even as a kid, though it wore off faster back then).

First night in a hammock I woke up (early, turns out you need less sleep when you spend less time tossing and turning trying to get comfortable) I got out of the hammock, and my spine didn't hurt or ache. I felt better getting out of the hammock in the morning than I do getting out of bed at home.

Lots of people have come up with lots of reasons NOT to use a hammock, some of them have merit, some of them don't, ultimately, I do it because it's far more comfortable.
Even when I'm camping with the wife and dog, and can't sleep in the hammock at night I bring it just to be able to relax in it during the day.

Takes some getting used to how to stay warm in a hammock vs. a tent, and takes some practice to hang it consistently every time, but once you've got it down it's so much better than the ground (in my opinion).

We slept in hammocks in Panama. Not for relaxation reasons though. Lots of creepy crawlies you don't want to wake up with. I will admit they are comfortable. I have never used one in a cold envirnment but I can see how keeping warm might be an issue since you don't have the ground to insulate your underside. There are way to mitigate that. The hammocks we used had built in overhead protection against the rain and a sewn in bug net. Pretty awesome.

2365.jpg

Stop in at an REI and you can test out the different air mattresses. They have a bunch aired up and ready to try out. They even have a raised platform so you don't have to lay on the ground to test them out.

After trying out exped and the Big Agnes Q core, I decided on the Q core. The exped is great, but has chambers that run the length of the mattress. The qcore has chambers that resemble an innerspring mattress so you get a more "mattress" feel to it. The Q core also packs up very small. It ain't cheap, but I finally got a brand new one off Ebay for around $82 with shipping.

Make sure you look at these mattresses packed up. Some are MUCH bigger than others packed, and as we all know.... space is a premium on a bike!

Here is a review with pics. One thing I would point out, is that I got the grey insulated version of the Q core, in all the reviews I read, people seemed to be much more satisfied with the grey insulated version than the orange uninsulated version pictured in this review. Also, the grey version is a bit wider.

BA Q-Core SL versus Exped UL7

Those look nice! Thanks for the info

We slept in hammocks in Panama. Not for relaxation reasons though. Lots of creepy crawlies you don't want to wake up with. I will admit they are comfortable. I have never used one in a cold envirnment but I can see how keeping warm might be an issue since you don't have the ground to insulate your underside. There are way to mitigate that. The hammocks we used had built in overhead protection against the rain and a sewn in bug net. Pretty awesome.

View attachment 11052

in my insulated hammock (not the one photo'd above, a different one that has a homemade sleeping bag wrapped around it) I'm comfortable down to around freezing.

2013-06-18_16-51-03_646.jpg
my wife in her hammock/sleeping bag

Sadly when we made the sleeping bags I didn't have a hammock with a bug net, and with how the bag wraps around I can't really use the sleeping bag on the new hammock with a bug net...

Permethrin seems to work to keep the bugs away so it's manageable (so long as you remember to treat it)

I'm figuring any temperature I'd want to motorcycle with my current gear I can hammock camp in with my current gear.

+1

I love my camp hammock! I use an old Army blanket as my bottom insulator, with the Big Agnes pad and bag, and I'm good to mid 30's. Wake up totally relaxed and comfortable.

Also, hammock is much more fun with a snuggle buddy than a tent. Once you get it swingin' it don't stop!

Thanks for sharing these videos. The music alone took me back to a time in my life that I really miss now a days. That era and 2 wheels were some of the best times in my life. But that said, riding now with the same buddies and having so much fun. Just doing it on different bikes and at lower speeds on a bit better road surfaces. LOL!
Here's a couple of videos.

Part 1
1.18.2014 Riding the ranch ( Part One ) - YouTube

Part 2
1.18.2014 Riding the ranch ( Part Two ) - YouTube

Back