• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Can The DCT model of the NC Do Long Distance?

Probably a dumb question but can the DCT model do long distance rides pretty well? (My version of long distance being up to 500 miles in one day)

My idea of a long day is 1,500 miles ;) and yes, the bike can do it.

My idea of a long day is 1,500 miles ;) and yes, the bike can do it.

Wow, I've done an 826 and 1045 day on the X but 1500 miles in one day ... that would be a LONG DAY on the Wing .... It took me 21 hours to do the 1045 on the X in July coming from Grant CO via no interstates and I thought I was doing good ..... Night on TX backroads in July can be interesting with the critters but I was lucky .....

As on any motorcycle, the distance you can cover in one day depends mostly on your physical condition, your riding experience & skill, and how well you fit the motorcycle. Mechanically, the DCT or manual trans model will go as far as you want, just keep refilling the gas tank every 200-miles. :)

Last edited:
Probably a dumb question but can the DCT model do long distance rides pretty well? (My version of long distance being up to 500 miles in one day)
What are your concerns?
I came to the NC700xd from a Goldwing 1800 that I rode 144,000 miles. Included in those miles were several 1,500 mile days, an Iron Butt Rally and a bunch of other long distance rides including a ride from Mexico to the Arctic Circle.

My thoughts are that the NC700 is a passible long distance machine. I was especially surprised to find the RPMs at a reasonable level on the interstate (unless running at very high speeds, 80+). I was worried that the bars would buzz, the foot pegs would buzz, the whole machine would be running on the ragged edge.

The reality is it is nothing like that at all. The bike is <almost> as benign and calm at 70 mph (GPS) as my 6 cylinder 1.8 liter Goldwing was...Seriously.

Having said that, the one area that the bike suffers is when twisting the throttle at those higher speeds...There really is nothing left. Running 80 mph on the GL and twisting the throttle put me at 100mph in seconds for a quick pass. On the NC you twist at 70 or 80 and nothing happens. Nada. Zip. The fuel range is not really all that great. If riding around town you will easily get 200+ miles/tank, but once up to interstate speeds it drops. Fast. I've never got much over 50 mpg and with a 3+ gallon tank you are stopping much more than you should be to refuel. Reminds me a bit of my '76 Sportster with the peanut tank ;-)

Is that a deal breaker? Depends on how you ride. I simply don't ride that fast anymore and take more time to plan my passes and trips. I'm also adding an aux fuel tank. All in all, no biggie. If I was building a <dedicated> long distance mount I really wouldn't consider a NC. But, I need a motorcycle for occasional long distance rides, and mostly for commuting 60 miles/day to work and running errands and it had to be very economical to operate (my GL1800 avg mpg was similar to many cars). That is a very broad mission statement that the NC DCT (for me) worked very well at. BTW, once you get used to the economy and ease of running a DCT it will be very hard to change to a different motorcycle!

The solution is of course to have two bikes: A dedicated Long Distance runner and a spiffy NC700xd for everything else ;-)

Hope this helps

I like this bike a lot and it really serves my purposes as a commuter. I think Honda nailed it in that repsect. I've never had a GW and only ridden sport bikes so I'm used to being uncomfortable.

ld_rider gave a great repsonse. I don't think it could be said much better. Simple and honest. Great reply ld_rider.

The longest I have ever ridden my 700X DCT was 200 miles from Mokena, IL to Galena, IL. Full tank, I rolled into Galena with the bar flashing red, filled up my normal 3.0 gallons.

I do have a large windscreen on my X. The seat is truly terrible. I still have to replace it.

But motor wise, no problem. Going faster than 80 mph is pointless, the gearing means no power left (it will still slowly go to 105mph) and the fuel mileage tanks. I found cruising at 75 a nice speed vs. engine power and smoothness. I don't have a temperature gauge besides stock, but ambient was 80f for the ride, and 60 for the way back. Overheating was not an issue, in fact, I was hoping the radiator would provide heat when it was getting cooler out, but nope, no idea where the heated air went, but did not feel it when it was cool.

Handle bar vibration was medium-low, going above 80 made the vibrations too much for me. Wind was comfortable with the large windshield I have. I hated the stock one, I replaced it the next day I bought the motorcycle.

Highway suspension setup is ok. It is not luxury smooth, but its not sport bike hard either. I would say adequate for my preference. Most highway imperfections were smoothed out. I have no complaints.

I will say, the stock tires are a hard compound. I am going to try lower PSI in the tires. The stock 36f, 42r seems too high for solo riding with nothing but the rider on the motorcycle. (not enough weight to warrant such high pressure)

Can't comment on any noise beyond wind and a faint engine exhaust. I wear NRR 33 ear plugs whenever I swing a leg over a motorcycle, and wear a full face helmet (Shoei GT-Air)

What I would change: New seat, and anti-vibe handlebar risers. (already changed windshield)

A friend of mine finished the 11-day Iron Butt Rally on it this past summer and it was on his recommendation I bought mine. I am setting mine up for long distance riding as well. Will be riding it in the 7-day Butt Lite Rally in July and routinely do 500-700 mile days back to back to back. Just did a quick 3,200 mile trip between Christmas and New Year's and it was quite nice, and that was with the stock seat (just replaced with a custom one). Put in a larger windscreen, heated grips and wired for heated gear (we live in Seattle) and will be adding a fuel cell, chain oiler and handlebar risers (didn't have time before this trip since I bought the bike only a few weeks ago).

Haven't been in a strong headwind but was able to keep up with my husband on his BMW GSA although he may not be quite as lively on it when I'm with him. I rode the 11-day Iron Butt Rally this past summer on the BMW C650GT scooter, and another rider did it on a stock Ninja 250, so as they say, it's not always about the bike. I think it's about what works for you, what you are trying to accomplish, and what you like. Long distance riding isn't really about speed, it's about endurance and efficiency. Can you sit in the saddle for hours on end on the NC with only short breaks?

I just know I'm having a blast on it and with the modifications I imagine it will do what I need it to do for me.

Add on question...how do you get in good physical shape for several long days. I'm planning a cross country trip this summer. I've done some long days, but don't know how well I could handle three weeks worth.

Add on question...how do you get in good physical shape for several long days. I'm planning a cross country trip this summer. I've done some long days, but don't know how well I could handle three weeks worth.

Fatigue is a real problem on 500 to 1000 mile days. A member of this forum who was a very good rider, is now paralyzed due to falling asleep in Canada while on a trip back from Alaska.

Anytime you get even a little bit drowsey, you have to stop for awhile. Never ever try to keep riding no matter what, you have to take a break then and there at the next exit.

Eating too often will also cause you to get sleepy on long days. Ride hungry!

One of the things I do is to stop at truck stops that most times have TV rooms. In the middle of the day, I will set on the couch in front of the TV and go to sleep of a short time.

Riding uncomfortably! This helps to help you keep your focus. Turn off your electrics on cold days, turn your radio up loud and listen to songs you can do not like, or do anything that makes you uncomfortable.

Like it or not, you have to have down days for rest! Unless there is a real good reason to drive these long distance days, just do not do it.

I think BigBen 30's original question reflects what some people may think who are not that familiar with the operation of a DCT system.
They may be confusing or comparing the DCT with a CVT system. The 2 could not be more different.
What it boils down to is that the DCT is basically a real 6 speed transmission with real metal gears, just like any other non DCT bike. The difference being that the DCT will do the shifting for you using not 1, but 2 wet plate clutches. These clutches are pretty much like the type found found on most "normal" motorcycles.
Other than the computer doing the actual shifting, whenever you are in ANY gear, at any speed, the transfer of power to the wheel is the same as any other non DCT bike.
I love my DCT and would never even consider going back to normal shifting.
Hope this helps BigBen30

I have a done a 300 mile around day-trip with many stops along the way for sightseeing.

IsabellaLoop.jpg

I only fueled up twice on that trip. My DCT performed flawlessly on that trip...

I'm looking forward to testing its long-distance capabilities later this year. I need some luggage first, though, and maybe a better seat as well. The stock seat gets mighty uncomfortable after a few hours.

My DCT and I did 16,000 miles across Canada and around the US this past summer. No problems of any kind--it's a Honda after all.

I agree with kpinvt: read Don's articles about fatigue. When training for long distance riding I do quite a few things. Mentally I notice a lot: what tires me, what wears me out, what keeps me focused and what distracts me. What helps me stay on task, what bores me. I learn what signals tell me I am tired vs. hungry, bored vs. need to get rest, etc, because what I do will differ depending on the cause. Sometimes chewing gum is enough, sometimes listening to music, and other times I need to stop and get a hotel. Eating is a big issue because some foods make me sleepy as does eating large meals, but not eating makes me a bit hypoglycemic which makes me a riskier rider. Knowing my body is key. Physically I work out, focusing on endurance activities like running, and core strengthening which helps my back over long distances.

Back