• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain life

I was only able to get 35,00 miles out of the original chain. The sockets needed to be changed around 32,000 miles due to a noise I figured out after 35,000 miles. Only had 8 teeth on the front sprocket. Every other tooth was missing. I do run a chain oilier that greatly helped the chain life and reduce having to always clean and lube it but it does make a mess due to running motor oil in it.

35,000 miles? on one chain? one set of sprockets?
that's astounding.
I get 12,000 on D.I.D. chains.

I just had 8K miles service done, and the chain did not need slack adjustment yet. The sprockets seem fine with very little wear. I used to do 30K miles before chain kit replacement on other bikes I owned, so I am not surprised, we all ride differently.

35,000 miles? on one chain? one set of sprockets?
that's astounding.
I get 12,000 on D.I.D. chains.
chain oiler makes a huge difference. I'm at 22,000 miles with D.I.D. VX2 and I'm eager to replace my chain and sprockets. I've got a new front sprocket that's one tooth larger so I can go back to a normal size rear sprocket. Still no sign it's even close to done so I'm still waiting.

Contrary to some reports.........20-30k is very possible on the stock chain and sprockets with just normal maintenance.
proper alignment is the main thing in my opinion. I had my first VX2 completely done a little after 5,000 miles somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 miles I did my first adjustment and had my tire off center, in less then a 1,000 miles after that I had to adjust it again I had so much slop, at that point it was pretty much done I was able to get it to last awhile longer adjusting it properly the second time but the damage was done.

Contrary to some reports.........20-30k is very possible on the stock chain and sprockets with just normal maintenance.

I have 34K km which is 21k miles. I have been lubing every three weeks ish. I have the parts in my garage but the chain seems to be functional still. I am very close to moving outside the good range based in the indicator on the swing arm.

I have 17.000 kms (NC 750 X/DCT - 2016).
I lube every 500 kms and i clean the chain every 1.000 kms.
Chain is fine and tightened only one time just for checking and training reasons.
Motorcycle is used only for travelling. Most of travelling not on dirt roads. If travelling on dirt roads cleaning is more often.

I have 18+k miles on my NC/DCT and have only adjusted the chain twice. The first time was more than a year ago and just out of curiosity, I adjusted it to the tight side of the spec to see how it affected upshift feel. The second time was only about a month ago when I noticed downshifts (in "D") were a little too harsh. I clean the chain about every 350-500 miles with WD-40 and a chain brush then wipe off any residue with paper towels. I do have tight dollar chain lube but rarely use it. :)

Several thousand miles on a new chain and sprockets. Stock units changed out at ~20,000. I'm running a Scot.t Oiler, and I clean the new one occasionally with WD-40. Adjusted once at 2000 miles, good since then.

This summer I rode a little over 12,000 miles and never adjusted the chain. Or had to get on the ground to clean or lube it.

Pro-oiler with GPS interface keeps it clean and adjusted.

I have a pair of new sprockets and chain waiting, but I don't think I will need them for another 30 thousand miles or so....

I don't have any auto-lubing device, I spray my chain every 500-1000 km and after 12000 km (8000 mi) I see the same results as you do. But let's not keep our hopes up too high, chains can die very quickly in their last miles and sprockets usually go with them as the chain starts to stretch more and unevenly.

Not our NC chain, we just got the bike, but I've never had an O-ring chain go less than 45,000 miles (72,000km) and the one currently on my ZX1100E (with twice the power of an NC) has over 53,000 (85K).
Cleaning? Sounds scary!
PJ-1 Blue Label every other tankful or everytime it gets wet is the key to my chains lasting almost forever.
And the ZX is still on its original sprockets, 101,000 miles (162Kkm). Not much hooking at all.
Lube!

I just want to add another tip for chain lube. I have been a fan of the Tutoro oiler especially on any of my bikes that didn't have a centrestand. Either way I have always been a prolific oiler of chains with reasonably good results on chain life. Recently however one of the long time members over on the Strom forum waxed enthusiastic about the properties of Wurth HHS2000. It had been recommended to him by a Tech. He claimed that use of this every other fill, actually increased the mileage of his chain by at least a third. He is someone that I would definitely listen to on that forum.

I am aware that the riding habits of everyone are different. Some folks can achieve mileage from chains that I can only dream of. However I am willing to give any new idea a try. I got myself some Wurth and in the couple of months that I have been using it I am seeing a difference. A quieter chain is telling a story of lube that is staying in place for longer. I was about to replace the chain on my X-Adv at 25,000kms but now it is definitely running smoother over the partly worn front sprocket and the little bit of stretch that was evident has also more or less stopped for the moment.

This is a link to a Youtube clip of the product. I spray it on the inside of the lower run of the chain and it is possible to direct it to the edge of the rollers. It doesn't spread out like some products and quickly sets as I continue to spin the wheel. I for one am converted.

YouTube

So one of the benefits, I think, of putting on a chain that is massively oversized for your bike is that it won't stretch as much.

In the 10,000 miles I've had the chain pictured earlier (the 1000 HP rated ThreeD chain) in the thread, it hasn't moved.

I had to adjust it once and that was because of a tire change, but every time I take the ruler to it to measure slack it's 35mm, exactly where I set it -- always.

I'm thinking I'll need new sprockets before I need a new chain.

I normally replace chains on the NCX because of seized links. Only that garbage JT chain stretched enough to matter (it stretched so much it wouldn’t stay on). I’m surprised at those who wear chains out in any other way on these bikes. Apparently climate matters, too.

Concur. DiD VX2 chain and JT sprockets buy me about 12,000 miles each time. I do the work myself, and I'm NO mechanic.
What are you guys noticing to where you say "welp, that's the end of this chain's life..." are they breaking? Loose links? I've had several different chain driven bikes and never replaced a chain. I trade around a lot, but some have been used with no telling how many miles already on the chain and then I put another 10-15k miles on it before selling. Few different trail bikes, 1 mx bike, 4 sportbikes, and now my current NC, never replaced a chain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What are you guys noticing to where you say "welp, that's the end of this chain's life..." are they breaking? Loose links? I've had several different chain driven bikes and never replaced a chain. I trade around a lot, but some have been used with no telling how many miles already on the chain and then I put another 10-15k miles on it before selling. Few different trail bikes, 1 mx bike, 4 sportbikes, and now my current NC, never replaced a chain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I've had both happen on my NC, the links would get stuff spots (multiple places and stiff enough that you could hear and kind of feel it when riding) the other is when it stretches beyond what you can adjust on the swing arm, it got so lose that it actually fell off (my commute to work is 60 miles, 58 of that being freeway and it fell off on a two lane road a block from my place of work) luckily if it's lose enough to come off it'll go back on [emoji16]

I rode home driving like grandpa and parked it until I replaced the chain

This is the first motorcycle I've owned and the first I've worked on, so I've made some rookie mistakes, live and learn

Last edited:
Back