Chain Noise???

Skinnymoss

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a used NC with 3K miles and by the time I hit 8K miles. I replaced my chain, sprockets with DID VX3 chain. About 3,000 miles in, I feel like it's making that droning noise. I gotten the chain tightened as it was too loose, maybe 45-50 mm slack. Now its around 35 mm. Again, some parts of the chain way tigher/looser than other parts. (I know this issue was mentioned for other users) I have not seen that in other bikes.

Only cleaned it once after 3000 miles, as I just installed my center stand. I have a loud exhaust (Danmoto) , yet the chain can be heard, in acceleration, neutral, and downshifting.... hoping it's not a safety concern. I suspected the links making noise.

Griff

Reaction score
Visit site
I would have preferred 45mm slack to 35. I never clean a chain but I do apply lube frequently. I suspect Your chain is too tight whatever about being lubed properly.

Reactions: MZ5

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What griff said!

Leave chain slack set on the loose side of specifications. Tight chains make noise and wear faster. In your example I would leave it at 45mm slack.

Also make sure the front and rear sprockets are properly aligned.

Last edited:
Reactions: MZ5

frog13

Reaction score
Visit site
If some links are more tight than others......clean it well, re-lube......then adjust. With tight links it generally impossible to obtain a correct chain slack. Curious........have you checked your valves?. This has nothing to do with your drive chain......I'm just curious.

Janus

Reaction score
Visit site
I really hope you didn't mean that you skipped lube and regular checks of your chain tension for 3000 miles