• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain Tension Question

FCAsheville

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the center stand on my '14 NC700 so when setting the chain tension there's really three different positions and three different measurements. On the center stand, on the side stand, and standing up with weight on the wheels. Where should I be setting the chain tension?

Last edited:
I find the tightest spot on the center stand to set a baseline on the loose side of spec, then I set the bike down and put my weight on it to make sure it doesn't get super tight. Generally loose side of spec on the center stand has worked for me.

I think the correct response from the manual is just set it on the side stand but you'll definitely want to find the tight spot first.

You’re getting different measurements in those varied suspension positions because with this motorcycle’s design, the drive sprocket is not concentric with the swingarm pivot. The bike on sidestand is the only configuration where the Honda spec applies. That is because the NC does not come standard equipped with a centerstand, so the spec has to be written for sidestand.

Some members of the forum determined that, if measuring the chain slack with the bike on the centerstand, adding 5 mm to the Honda spec achieves about the same result. Thus, if desired slack was 35mm on the sidestand, you could set it to 40mm with the bike on the centerstand and it will be close.

Rider standing on the bike is compressing the suspension to some unknown degree so the measurement would be rather meaningless.

Per post #2, I suggest finding the tightest spot and set your slack measurement there. A loose chain is better than a too tight chain.

Side note of possible interest: On my Zero electric motorcycle, the belt drive sprocket and the swing arm pivot are on the same axis. No matter what position the rear suspension might be in, the belt tension is always the same. I wish more motorcycles were designed that way.

Yes, use the center stand and use a range of 35 to 45 mm chain deflection. Check it then turn the rear wheel in order to check slack at 3 or 4 locations.

Back