• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Changing the chain

Not in my experience they don't.

No worries though! The important thing is you are maintaining the bike - regardless of the method.

It just looks to me like the sprockets folks pull off with a 2% stretched chain have a lot more than 2% of the pitch (.0125"/0.3mm) worn away. Maybe 16t and 114 links is a close enough ratio that the difference is negligible. With a long enough chain, the sprockets will wear faster. Is that 500 links of chain for a 16t, 1000 links? I'm not sure.

So, right now, with 5000 miles, ~0.25% elongation of the chain, I've got slightly less than 1mm of rotational play torquing the chain back and forth on the front sprocket. Not enough to pull the chain up from the valleys any measurable amount, and obviously it didn't start at zero with the new chain. I'm going to keep an eye on it, and if it increases faster than the chain elongates, I'll know it's wearing faster than the chain. if I get another .5mm, that will be 3% of the pitch. If I get there well before 1% stretch on the chain, Then I'll think about flipping/swapping the sprocket.

My little home made tool that works very well for you folks that use the clip on an o-ring chain.
Screw size is 2 10x24x1.25. with 2 nuts and 2 outer links. Compress the outer links just enough until the grooves for the clip are visible. Remove and the outer links "should" remain to install the clip.
untitled.jpgtitled.jpgagain.jpganother.jpg1more.jpg

Last edited:
Back