• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Confusion.....an idea.

These numbers seem just random. They are! How do kids ever learn it?
Believe me I envy the rest of the world with their easy metric system.

You're on to something here. But, and here's the interesting part, there is always a reason to it! Learn, and you will grow, that's my motto.
A standard is always helpful where needs for conversions always are confusing in some degree. Regardless of what's "right" or "wrong" I always find it educational and interesting in how the world set up the rules and conventions where we find a lot of "differences" which absolutely does not automatically means "bad" or "worse", but just different. That is important to understand. Then there's always some amusements connected to the facts when someone put in another log in the fireplace... :)

As goofy as all that looks it makes sense to us. You didn't explain why you would want to know how much fuel per a set distance

I understand that. And it doesn't matter what view you have when you are looking at it. The topic is to use the same view which will make it easier to us all.

Time ....

I agree with your time thought .....

Also I think the whole world should always be on the same time. None of this time zone stuff. If I want to go to work at 11:00 and you want to go at 17:00 because that's when your sunrise is, so be it. We can live with that. But when it's 00:00 here or there, it's 00:00 everywhere in the world.

Thanks for listening to my rant. . .

IMHO time is related to human activities: lunch time, sleep time, breakfast time... And there are small differences, but all the people associate lunch, breakfast, or sleep with specific hours. Having people sleeping at 22h here and 14h there would be a big headache :)

When someone asks me for my mpg or l/100, I look at them and say, "you're missing the point of motorcycling as a hobby. I don't look at the fuel costs for my massive fix..." :p

And if they insist to know, I just tell them " she's a camel, drinks very little.... Goes very far".

Thats fine if you only use your bike for leisure and to be quite honest I don't worry about the cosumption on my leisure bike. However when you are using the bike to commute to work each day the consumption tends to me more important

I usually just look at the location of the poster and translate myself asuming they have posted in local measurements. UK has Imperial Star Destroyer gallons, Sweden has some strange Kill O’ Meter measurement, U.S. has plain old nothing fancy gallons.

The gallon must be the only thing that America has that isn't bigger than everybody elses :)
Don't forget the UK had the gallon first

America is moving to the metric system inch by inch.

My 2007 Chevrolet Silverado and Suburban are almost completely metric. I think maybe the rear differential is SAE.

As an engineer, I am fluent in both. But the rest need to just go away. I have a JCB excavator (made in England) with "British Metric" hydraulic fittings on it. (sound of teeth grinding). And don't get me started on Whitworth fasteners. I would greatly favor a world-wide metric system of measurements.

ONE metric system of measurements please!

I dislike the metric system. I see it as a French protest of British standards. :)
The supposed ease of the system for science and engineering was completely invalidated by the calculator & computer, and the things the units are based on are no more reality-based than Imperial or US Standard measurements are.

1 unit of length for both astronomy and electron microscopy! How brilliant! Oh, wait...
1 unit of temperature that's sensible to regular folk! Oh, but wait, we changed the definition we'd used since the 1700s when, in 1948, we wanted a new definition. We wanted it to better match what scientists used (Kelvin), so we redefined it and based it on certain characteristics of something really scientific that doesn't exist anywhere except in a lab (Vienna Standard Mean Ocean Water), and as we continue to 'study' our definition we continue to refine (change) it. And by the way, our desire to harmonize it with Kelvin was pretty brilliantly successful, too: 0 K = -273.15 C
1 unit of measure for angle! Oh, but wait, different groups in different parts of the world use different day-to-day-use definitions of a milliradian, for example.

Since all the world except Britain and America have shown themselves to be more flexible than we are, by virtue of having switched to the metric system at various points, I think it only makes sense for them all to switch back so that we can all be on the same system. Plus, switching away from the metric system will impact a smaller market in most areas anyway. ;)

Okay, I'm done with my tongue-in-cheek rant now. :)

I can put either USmpg or mpgUS in my fuel economy figures, if that's helpful.

Last edited:
I dislike the metric system. I see it as a French protest of British standards. :)
The supposed ease of the system for science and engineering was completely invalidated by the calculator & computer, and the things the units are based on are no more reality-based than Imperial or US Standard measurements are.

1 unit of length for both astronomy and electron microscopy! How brilliant! Oh, wait...
1 unit of temperature that's sensible to regular folk! Oh, but wait, we changed the definition we'd used since the 1700s when, in 1948, we wanted a new definition. We wanted it to better match what scientists used (Kelvin), so we redefined it and based it on certain characteristics of something really scientific that doesn't exist anywhere except in a lab (Vienna Standard Mean Ocean Water), and as we continue to 'study' our definition we continue to refine (change) it. And by the way, our desire to harmonize it with Kelvin was pretty brilliantly successful, too: 0 K = -273.15 C
1 unit of measure for angle! Oh, but wait, different groups in different parts of the world use different day-to-day-use definitions of a milliradian, for example.

Since all the world except Britain and America have shown themselves to be more flexible than we are, by virtue of having switched to the metric system at various points, I think it only makes sense for them all to switch back so that we can all be on the same system. Plus, switching away from the metric system will impact a smaller market in most areas anyway. ;)

Okay, I'm done with my tongue-in-cheek rant now. :)

I can put either USmpg or mpgUS in my fuel economy figures, if that's helpful.

After all your paragraph I was expecting you would put Liters / 100 Km ;)

I'm all over the place when it comes to this stuff...

I can't abide the l/100 km method. ugh! Who the Frigg (The Almighty Johnsons heehee) wants to do imaginary number dividing and such. Not me, yeeeuck.

I prefer MPG in US gal, but kilometres per litre is ok too.

Measuring- this is a toughy. I refuse to say a seat height is "863.6mm" That's just wrong. It's 34", damnit! lol.

...but fractions are Satan, so trying to add up 24, 13/32nds + 37, 11/16ths sucks big time. Something like 63.50cm + 96.50cm for example, is infinitely better!

PSI good. Kilopascals bad. Kilopascals? Seriously? lol. I'm mistrustful of those "Bar" thingies, as well.

Temperature- It sounds way better to say: "it's nearly 100* degrees out here!" Than: "It's nearly 37.77* out here!"

Metric fastener sizes are the only way to go. But: "Pass me the 1/2" socket drive" is proper. "Pass me the 1.27cm socket drive" is too weird.

:eek:

If I remember rightly British Imperial measurements come down from very old forms of measurement ,even before Rome and all that lot,,,I think an inch is around the same length as a digit finger and a foot from top of finger to elbow and a gallon is the amount of beer an English man can drink before he starts singing and so on...Its just a more natural way of measuring,,(when you,v been bought up with it) Napoleon is the root cause of the rest of the worlds problems,he conquered all Sweden ,Germany and Spain and forced them to use his system,,they are still complaining about it 200hundread years later....Some day they will see sense and come back to the fold,,,Mark my words....

the only reason we gone metric is that our government can screw us on tax.
once upon a time petrol went up by a say 4 pence a gallon , now its 4 pence a litre so that make an increase of 18 pence a gallon .
big different greedy bastids as if they don't get enough from us poor souls
sobbing-1310.gif

Last edited:
Back