• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Considering a NC700X DCT Want Advice

NCJim

Reaction score
Visit site
I am thinking of buying a NC700X DCT to ride to Alaska and back. I am leaning toward the DCT for two reasons:
1) ABS
2) DCT will allow my wife to drive the bike - she has limited experience

I am looking for reports from anyone who has ridden a DCT of pavement. Good? Bad?

I am looking for overall reports for using a DCT for a 7000 miles trip - one up with gear loaded.

Advice on panniers?

Windshields?

I am thinking of buying a NC700X DCT to ride to Alaska and back. I am leaning toward the DCT for two reasons:
1) ABS
2) DCT will allow my wife to drive the bike - she has limited experience

I am looking for reports from anyone who has ridden a DCT of pavement. Good? Bad?

I am looking for overall reports for using a DCT for a 7000 miles trip - one up with gear loaded.

Advice on panniers?

Windshields?

HondaBikePro rides a DCT off road and gives it high marks away from the pavement.

No matter what she will ride, if your wife has limited experience get her in a MSF class. In fact if you have never been go with her.

Give Trekkers are the most popular side bags and have survived a number of crashes reported here.

I have made some 2000 mile trips with my DCT. No problems and hardly knows the baggage is there. I do have a Sargent seat though.

I have a DCT and it works fine in the dirt as long as you keep it in the manual shift mode. If you don't it will shift into a higher gear as you are going around corners and the rear end will kick out. In the dirt (if it's rough) I just stand up and paddle shift it. dave

I'm presuming "off pavement" means riding on the (many) gravel sections you will find in Alaska? Or are you thinking more of single or dual track dirt riding? Personally, I think any motorcycle with ABS can be very sketchy off pavement under certain circumstances. That is why many (all??) dual sports have a way to turn the ABS on/off.

You really don't want to go into a downhill, decreasing radius turn too hot while on gravel/dirt/sand if your bike has ABS...especially with a bike with as little engine braking as the DCT..

But again, if your idea of off pavement is the short, gravel construction zones that you will encounter in Alaska I see no problem with the DCT..

As far as panniers go, I would get lockable metal ones. I have the Givi Trekker Outbacks (37 liter each) and very happy with them. Mounts are very robust and the panniers themselves pop on and off in literally 5 seconds. Luckily, I haven't crash tested them...

IMG_5670-M.jpg

IMG_5658-M.jpg

Back