• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Cyclegear Handguards on sale....

wow... the better unit looks a lot easier to install. The handlebar attachment is further away from the handlebar ends.

When you turn the bars full right/left, does it hit the windshield. I'm struggling with that problem right now.

wow... the better unit looks a lot easier to install. The handlebar attachment is further away from the handlebar ends.

When you turn the bars full right/left, does it hit the windshield. I'm struggling with that problem right now.

No, they are clear of the windscreen. Pic and post from iPad so sorry the pic is sideways.
The pic makes it look as though they are touching at the bottom but they are not. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Fyrfyta, thanks for sharing and confirming they don't hit the windshield. I too have the Honda touring shield and was concerned. I'm pulling the trigger on these today.

I have the $19 version but it looks like the $45 set has a lot larger area of wind protection to include the obvious fall protect that the cheaper pair do not. I may have to switch to these.

I solved the problem of the $19 handguards hitting the windshield on full left/right turns. I took the template I used for the original windshield and made a second, cardboard, mock up measured to fit the new guards. It looks very much like the original, and the bending via heat gun went well.
I'll add pictures to this tomorrow when the sunlight is better.

One more thing.... this is the first cool night we've had in weeks, so I took the new $19, smallish, handguards out for a night time tour of I-15 at 70 mph. I had the mesh gloves on and barely noticed. It's hard to explain the difference hand guards make without feeling it.

As promised, here are the pictures of the new windscreen with the smaller $19 handguards.

NB: The windshield is made from an 18x24" piece of Lexan from Home Depot ($20). I cut it with a dremel and bend it with a heat gun.

Here's the right hand grip pushed all the way in...doesn't hit. Did a cardboard mock-up full scale first to make sure it didn't.
IMG_1140.jpg
Here's the front view (sprayed with windex so folks can see it better).
IMG_1141.jpg
Here's the left hand grip pushed all the way in.... again, doesn't contact the lexan.
IMG_1142.jpg
Here's the view from the driver's seat.
IMG_1143.jpg

I almost put a piece of aluminum flat bar pop-rivetted across the widest and lowest point, but the windshield flexes so little at 70mph, I don't want to spoil the transparent look of it. Now that the hand guards and windshield work together, I probably won't be changing the windshield again... until the next mod!

With a set of 30mm risers ( $19-$29 ) the handguards fit with the factory tall shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FyrFyta mentions (post #83 above) that these fit the factory tall shield (which is also what I have) and does not state the need for risers. What am I missing?

FyrFyta mentions (post #83 above) that these fit the factory tall shield (which is also what I have) and does not state the need for risers. What am I missing?

Sometimes people have different interpretations of "hit" and/or "fit". What one may decide does not work because it contacts something, I may decide I don't care if it lightly clacks into a part here or there, using my best considered judgement.

My (different brand entirely) guards make contact, both left and right full lock, with the underside lower corners of the instrument pod. Not much, but enough to lightly wiggle the intruments and rub the paint off the guards. I don't really care about this, but as I have some Rox risers kicking around from my last bike, and am going to be putting them on to raise the bars, the hitting problem will also take care of itself with the bars coming back a bit.

Also, slight positional variances in where the mounts are on the bars, if the bars are rotated forward or backwards a wee bit from the other guys', if the guards are mounted on the outside of the bar end weights or inboard of them, all the little things can add up.

Thanks guys. Also, IIRC, doesn't Norwestrider have the bar end weights shaved some? Could that be the reason for contact?

I added a metal frame work to the lexan windshield.... all because I put the hand guards on...
Pictures tomorrow when the light is better.

Yes I cut them down by 1/2 but if I had taken them off it would have been closer and hit more.

So that brings me to the point I was making which is since Nortwestrider cut the bar end down by 50%, is why the bars would hit the touring windshield w/o risers and FyrFyta's doesn't.

But mine also hit the side of the instrument panel on the right,w/o the bar ends in at all they would have hit the clear panel of the cluster.I have the fully adjustable $49 ( on sale ) wrap around style ones,they might stick out alittle farther.

But mine also hit the side of the instrument panel on the right,w/o the bar ends in at all they would have hit the clear panel of the cluster.I have the fully adjustable $49 ( on sale ) wrap around style ones,they might stick out alittle farther.

Thanks for the response. In that case I'll probably need to get one of the Rox risers. I've ordered the $45 (half price sale) Trackside guards already.

Back