• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Danger Zone

There is a peace in being content with what you own. Or what you already have, being what you want. I’m finding that older machines engines etc are better built and tend to last longer than newer. The metal, machining, even assembly seems less rushed when fabricated. It also seems that more technology is not always a good thing especially when it comes to allowing the bike/car to do what it’s meant to do… be driven.

I just passed on a 2021 bike with 5k to keep a 2012 with 31k for this reason. Not much of an upgrade to constitute buying insurance license registration taxes again. And it was a great deal.
I tend to keep big things I like for about 20 years, sometimes longer, before moving on. Often it’s just not worth the trouble to change once I find something I like. Too many modifications are required for personalization. New versions often aren’t significantly better until much time has passed.

I feel good right now, in a way. There is no motorcycle for sale now that I want any more than what I already own. It seems like new, fresh-idea model development has stagnated. There are dream machines in my head, but nobody builds them. Still, I hope in the next five years something new comes along that interests me.

I bought an electric car last year and a second boat this year so those toys are holding my interest for now.
There's a 2017 Kawasaki Versys 650 with 12k miles nearby. Doesn't have any add-ons. I've been watching it go from $4.8k and now is at $3.5k. I was thinking at $3k I'd be silly not to pick it up...

There's a 2017 Kawasaki Versys 650 with 12k miles nearby. Doesn't have any add-ons. I've been watching it go from $4.8k and now is at $3.5k. I was thinking at $3k I'd be silly not to pick it up...
I’m sometimes temped to buy bikes I might like, but I consider whether they are too similar to what I have. For example, I really wanted a CB500X at one time but I convinced myself that it was too similar to the NC700X I already owned. A local car dealer had a Zero S for sale cheap, but I realized it was too similar to my own Zero DSR. I’ve tried to keep my fleet diverse, so each bike may have some unique attributes that suit certain needs/wants. So with that, I’d stop to wonder if a Versys 650 is too much like an NCX.

What I own ranges from 49cc to 1832cc to all electric, and even includes a three wheeler. Front wheel sizes range from 10 inch to 21 inch. Weight ranges from 180 pounds to 900 pounds. There’s something a little different for the whim of each day.

Last edited:
I’m sometimes temped to buy bikes I might like, but I consider whether they are too similar to what I have. For example, I really wanted a CB500X at one time but I convinced myself that it was too similar to the NC700X I already owned. A local car dealer had a Zero S for sale cheap, but I realized it was too similar to my own Zero DSR. I’ve tried to keep my fleet diverse, so each bike may have some unique attributes that suit certain needs/wants. So with that, I’d stop to wonder if a Versys 650 is too much like an NCX.

What I own ranges from 49cc to 1832cc to all electric, and even includes a three wheeler. Front wheel sizes range from 10 inch to 21 inch. Weight ranges from 180 pounds to 900 pounds. There’s something a little different for the whim of each day.
I generally agree with you. For my particular situation, I really only ride for commuting purposes. It difficult to raise enough social capital to leave the kids home with the wife all the time for joy rides:cool:

I was thinking this gives me a low cost way to see which bike I'd like to keep. If the Versys doesn't do it for me, I can probably resell and get most of not all my money back. Essentially like a low cost rental!

More gear may give you more options, but crucially you won't be spending more time riding. If it is just about the riding, best is to make most out of what you already own.

More gear may give you more options, but crucially you won't be spending more time riding. If it is just about the riding, best is to make most out of what you already own.
My local roads are uninteresting. Having different bikes incentivizes me to ride more. The roads are the same old roads but the bike is different, thus it adds variety and enhances the enjoyment.

Back