• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dangit. I mean DANGIT!

CorEnFa

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems that, if I'm going to drop my bike, it's always at 0 MPH. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather drop it at 0 than 60. BUT, I'd rather not drop it at all.

Well, I had my bike in my garage next to my wife's '12 Volvo XC60. I had just done some minor maintenance on it and needed to move it back into its spot. The bike was in neutral so I wasn't in need of the key to just walk it back and forth (while seated on it - standing it up, moving it back and cutting the bars to move it over, then rolling it forward cutting the bars the opposite way to get it more over and straight) to get it 3 feet to the right.

Well, I pulled a dumb-@ss move and left the kick stand down since I was literally just moving it a little bit. Apparently, on one of my forward movements, I brushed the kickstand just enough that it wasn't fully extended but it was still "down." As I went to lean the bike back over on the stand, it just kept going. The top case went into the rear door of my wife's SUV. It took off a pretty decent amount of paint and put a pretty decent dent in the door. On my top case (which I'm not worried about) there's a scuff.

She took it better than expected, but I'll be coming up with the money out of pocket to get the darned thing fixed.

stupid stupid stupid. >:-{

Happens to everyone eventually. On my last bike, I washed it in my driveway while it was on the center stand. Then for some brilliant reason, I thought I could reach over the bike to fiddle with something on the opposite side. Surer than hell, as soon as I leaned my weight on the side.... crash. Nicely scratched mirror housing and a loose fairing section were the results!! DUMB!!!

Shame, but trust me, you are not the only one :) (if it makes you feel any better....)

I can take photos of the bruses on mine and post them if it will make you feel better. I've dropped mine three times out on grassy trails doing 2MPH. I'm with you though. I'd be more upset about the car. Hopefully it only costs you a few hundred to get it fixed.

I dropped mine by forgetting to put the kickstand down at all so don't feel alone. This was right after getting my Givi side cases so the new case took the worst of it.

Dropped mine at gas pump. Went to right side to check air pressure. Needed to move bike a little to get to rear tire valve. Leaned it away from me towards the kickstand and the stand had moved. Couldn't stop the fall from opposite side. Scratched up bark buster on left side. Only other damage was my pride.

Sometime when we are sitting around a campfire I will tell you how I dropped my ST on both sides in about 30 seconds.

Everyone either has or will have a tip over tale to tell. Some are more costly than others. Glad your wife was ok with it......that's the most important issue.
Mike

Sorry to hear about the drop and extra damage. :(
Having almost done the same thing, I have a new rule: when I extend the sidestand, I MUST keep my foot up against the stand to ensure it stays forward until the bike is safely resting on it! I could get away with some lean on the NC700 without the stand down and still recover, but my 650lb pig (otherwise known as a Yamaha FJR1300) doesn't take much lean before it's committed to continue leaning until it hits the ground. ;)

Sometime when we are sitting around a campfire I will tell you how I dropped my ST on both sides in about 30 seconds.
-snip-
Mike

I thought I was the only one to do that! My 1983 GS1100ES did just such a flip flop, but luckily it was on a grass field so no damage other than some grass stains. I was camping with the girlfriend at a large gathering and went out in the morning and had to move the bike for some reason. Standing next to it I popped it off the centerstand and due to the uneven ground, it leaned away from me. With insufficient leverage to stop the lean, it unceremoniously plopped onto the ground. :( In my haste to get it back upright before anyone saw my embarrasing situation, I overcompensated and proceeded to throw it over onto the other side! :( :( :( DANGIT is an appropriate expletive, but I think I actually used some stronger words. ;)

Sold my roommate (an experience biker, and certified mechanic...) my Suzuki m50 when I got my NC. 4 days later he dropped it in the garage in about the same way: forgot something when he was leaving, stood up and got off the bike, thinking the stand was still down... it was not. Boom, snapped the clutch lever in half. :(

Curiously enough, out of all the creative ways I have crashed or dropped motorcycles, I have never done the simple sidestand up/down, tip over in the garage variety. (well not yet, anyways, lol)

No, mine have always been much more public and utterly mortifying...:rolleyes:

I've always had a habit of pulling the bike to the rear after it is on the kickstand BEFORE I get off the bike and have avoided that kind of drop so far. You can prop a bike on an improperly extended kickstand and it may stay until bumped, but you don't have that problem with a center stand, which is why I almost always park on the center stand.

If it's any consolation at least the damage wasn't to yourself. My wife dropped her NCX in the garage on herself, broke her ankle and was out of work for six weeks in a cast up to her knee. No damage to the bike but honestly I would have rather had to fix the bike than have her get hurt.

Having dropped my old ST1100 in a restaurant parking lot some 15 years ago due to a sidestand that was ASSUMED to be down but wasn't, I now have a mandatory process for sidestand use. Whenever leaning the bike to park, I look down at the stand. I kick it forward to be sure it's locked in. As the bike is leaning over, I'm still looking down at the stand. In my head I say, "the stand is down, the stand is down, the stand . . ." If I reposition the bike a little forward or back for whatever reason, I repeat the process, especially kicking the stand forward since rolling a little often folds the stand up.

Haven't dropped one since that day 15 years back.

I've dumped mine three times. Always when I'm out in the middle of nowhere and nobody around. I've not messed up with the sidestand either. Knock on wood. Wet grass / mud and me don't mix.

Last edited:
I've dumped mine three times. Always when I'm out in the middle of nowhere and nobody around. I've not messed up with the sidestand either. Knock on wood. Wet grass / mud and me don't mix.

2.jpg

Well, this is going to be a deep subject. Yesterday while at the furthest point south in North America, Nana Chou let her temper get the best of her. She parked like she normally does, in a No Parking spot.

Well, this their security guard come a running, and commenced to talking in a loud tone of voice about how "bad" Nana Chou was for parking in this here "No Parking Zone".

Well, a little history on this matter, as it was the third time Nana Chou had parked in this here really nice No Parking zone, and all three times this here official guard of this No Parking spot had come a running and screaming that she (Nana Chou) could not park in this heavily guarded No Parking parking spot.

Well, for some reason this here official "No Parking" officer's tone of voice offended Nana Chou. So, while he was not looking Nana Chou just fell plum over on to the back of this here security guards legs. Bingo, both he and Nana Chou went to the ground kicking and a fussing.

Well, this official parking spot police officer fellow started yelling at me to get Nana Chou off of him.

Well, this is when I politely explained to this here official looking parking spot police officer security guard the importance of speaking kindly to a lady. And once he had officially told Nana Chou he was sorry for speaking to her in such a tone of voice, I slowly lifted Nana Chou's large motorcycle frame off of this confused parking guard soul.

Well, next we got this fine picture here with no one yelling at us at all!

IMG_0894.jpg

SmileyOh.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
No NC drops (yet!); however, all my drops on my earlier liter sized bikes were with me on them. The curse of short legs...

Well, this is going to be a deep subject. Yesterday while at the furthest point south in North America, Nana Chou let her temper get the best of her. She parked like she normally does, in a No Parking spot.

Well, this their security guard come a running, and commenced to talking in a loud tone of voice about how "bad" Nana Chou was for parking in this here "No Parking Zone".

Well, a little history on this matter, as it was the third time Nana Chou had parked in this here really nice No Parking zone, and all three times this here official guard of this No Parking spot had come a running and screaming that she (Nana Chou) could not park in this heavily guarded No Parking parking spot.

Well, for some reason this here official "No Parking" officer's tone of voice offended Nana Chou. So, while he was not looking Nana Chou just fell plum over on to the back of this here security guards legs. Bingo, both he and Nana Chou went to the ground kicking and a fussing.

Well, this official parking spot police officer fellow started yelling at me to get Nana Chou off of him.

Well, this is when I politely explained to this here official looking parking spot police officer security guard the importance of speaking kindly to a lady. And once he had officially told Nana Chou he was sorry for speaking to her in such a tone of voice, I slowly lifted Nana Chou's large motorcycle frame off of this confused parking guard soul.

Well, next we got this fine picture here with no one yelling at us at all!

Sorry, but for some reason the picture will not upload right now. I will try again latter.

View attachment 13067

That's so cool seeing that photo, OCR. I was just there two weeks ago for the first time ever, but unfortunately not on the bike.

I can totally see this happen it almost happened to me a while back. The kick stand pops up with no effort something I'm not used to my other motorcycles I have only had one other new bike besides the NC and that was my first all my other bikes I really have to kick it to get it up my other bike is really bad I could stab the road all day long and it won't move. I was doing the same thing and the stand must have ever so slightly hit the pavement and folded on me but I recovered thankfully. Man that sucks but your right at least it was virtually standing still.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020

Back