• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT Issue

I had a similar problem. I start asking for people's bosses and going up the chain. You are going to have to get annoyingly annoying.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is unfortunate but I totally agree. I try to be patient and work with people. I work in service and understand the person I'm speaking with didn't cause the problem. That patience evaporates quickly if people don't do what they say and I get the feeling I am getting jerked around. Sometimes you have to be the squeaky wheel to get the grease. Hope they cooperate with you.

rmzei wrote: "and if they cannot and you complain through Honda then I believe you will see results because they sure jumped on my issue when I complained almost as if they can lose their certification if there are unresolved cases - this is a wild assumption but as I said, I saw results immediately."

Just curious how much support you ended up getting from Honda Customer Care... I did file a case and they got in touch with me and dealer shortly after but so far, they merely helped pass on messages from one party (dealer) to the other (customer). Last chat I had on the phone with Honda Customer Care, it pretty much sounded as if they don't want to go too hard on the dealer because quote and quote, "all Honda Motorsports in the US are owned and operated". And then, when bringing the fact that experiencing a major shifting/transmission issue at 6,200 mi is unacceptable, my case manager answer is that their warranty policy is time based, not mileage based. I feel I am running circles here, getting daily updates from the dealer is difficult at best and I am still skeptical that replacing the PCM is going to solve the problem and make my bike safe to drive. Then, I guess I could file a case with the NSTHA, but how much relief is this going to provide and how quick?

This is the worst motorcycle experience I have had in 40 years of riding :(

I kept calling Honda and didn't care what they thought of me and my calls to them... until it got escalated to some lady in customer relations or something like that and she mediated for me with the dealer and then a week later the bike was ready - my issue was smaller, I had a minor oil leak from behind the water pump (the o ring swell or failed I guess) and was dripping oil a little behind the water pump - bike was and is under extended warranty. I had to bug them because the dealer was telling me the bike was going to take a while to get repaired, like a month or something ridiculous.

In your situation I would not be nice at all, it's your money and your bike man - get it done and be firm about all your calls to them. Not sure if you have better business bureau there (I think they are present in north america) but we have that here in Canada as another option... sometimes when companies hear that you will file a complain they will take you seriously.

Good find and yes, that is my dealer who is targeted in those complains. I guess I’ll add one more case, it does seem to draw their attention.

Thanks.

Yes, I do try to be kind to people who are in service. Or are at the troubleshooting counter. But there comes a time when they are also there to keep you quiet, keep you calm and hopefully you go away... In some Industries. I found out when my wife tries to be kind and go around in circles and circles I'd start going up the chain and things get fixed much quicker. There is a time when you have to fight for what is right. It is unfortunate, I try not to scream and yell at the lower people because they're just trying to do their job. But that does evaporate when I'm up two to three levels
This is unfortunate but I totally agree. I try to be patient and work with people. I work in service and understand the person I'm speaking with didn't cause the problem. That patience evaporates quickly if people don't do what they say and I get the feeling I am getting jerked around. Sometimes you have to be the squeaky wheel to get the grease. Hope they cooperate with you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

They already changed the battery and the issue persists...

Hey telecam, please take this story in consideration that I'm about to tell you here (long shot but you never know).

About a month or so after I got my brand new NC, I installed an alarm and I did not secure the connections to the battery properly (I thought I did but obviously I did not) and I will tell you why, because the bike's DCT started acting up something as follows:

I went to ride it, everything fine, about 10 minutes later as it got up to switching gears and went from 5th to 6th, it switched to 6th and then if I remember correctly I was slowing down and it seemed to be stuck in 6th a little too long (I didn't think anything of it since at the time I was new to the bike and clueless about the operation of it and not used to it).... riding on a little more, then I saw the bike shifting more laboured, like it was pending a shift too long and then would switch, just acting wacked.. at this point I started getting worried... I immediately suspected something I did with the alarm connections to the battery - now you are probably seeing where I'm going with this ...

I keep riding bit more, then all of a sudden the bike started dropping gears and then would not shift anymore and I was like what he heck now... eventually the bike I believe shut off, I don't recall clearly now as it's been 2 years but I had to pull over and the bike was stuck in gear... I just knew something was wrong, it was acting so messed up I cannot even describe it, but I reread this entire thread and your post again and it reminded me of how mine behaved so I wanted to let you know...

Long story short, the bike was acting so messed up from the poor battery connections that what DUEDLIN said about the battery being top condition is CRITICAL to the DCT's, he is absolutely right on that one ... I know this from that personal experience and so I now battery tender my bike all the time, every day I connect it... I ended up tightening the connections and SUPER GLUING them since super glue is a conductor and have not had any DCT issues since - rock solid connections.

It's not oil, I doubt it's ECU, PCM etc... dude think about it, it's a new bike, what connections would be off?? do you see the quality build on your bike? it's a honda and they are pretty good at quality control, the connections are connectors that you have to pry off with pliers, those are tight!

If I were you I would still double check (yourself, not anyone else) the connections to the battery terminals and in the vicinity... make sure the bike gets the proper juice, especially if you were playing around with swapping the original battery out - not sure why you would do that. :confused:

Just my advice...

And so I beg to ask... Is there any chance that a weak or faulty battery would make the DCT misbehave while riding? Isn't enough power provided by the alternator?

THIS POST RIGHT HERE = ANSWER IS ABSOLUTELY ... it's what happened to me but through the weak connections!

Thanks for your suggestions. That was my first thought when the issue first occurred, I checked battery connections. terminals were clean and connections tight. Dealer has already replaced the battery and I assume they also checked and made good connections. And latest from them is that diagnostic computer was returning a failed PCM code...

I have had problems in DC systems before and battery connections are only half of it.
The main ground lead may have a poor connection.
The main positive lead may have a poor connection.

You could always try CHUCK BODERMAN, Vice President, Motorcycle Division, American Honda Motor Co., Inc. Many Honda employees have email as [email protected]. Might be worth a try.

My brother’s garmin Zumo bricked after an update, and after a run around with customer service he googled and found the email address of the ceo. He emailed him. He got a response in 20 minute. A day later and EVP called to get the details. He had an older unit so they couldn’t fix it - so they sold him a new 595LM for $100.

Never hurts to try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there, I followed the steps as per above but can't get the bike in the correct mode as per step 2. I do not get to the empty gear selector outline.
Please assist 2013 700x DCT

Update #10 (Day 58): Still in limbo... Took the issue to a senior Honda PowerSports customer care agent. He checked back with HPS support district manager and dealer service Dpt. Said all parts have arrived and bike should be repaired very soon. Dealer doesn’t respond to my emails or voicemails. I am not sure whom to trust and believe at that point. Super frustrating....

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, telecam, It's not good news so far, but keep us posted, as I'm sure you will.

Also, on the advice of GregC, I just emailed Chuck Boderman, VP, Honda US Motorcycle Division, we'll see if this shakes things up.

Last edited:
Also, on the advice of GregC, I just emailed Chuck Boderman, VP, Honda US Motorcycle Division, we'll see if this shakes things up.

you may not hear from the dealer directly anymore until issue is 100% resolved - I recall it was the same with me and this is because Honda is now mediating on your behalf.

Back