• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT Issue

I questioned the oil change early on because your symptoms appeared right after that. But on the other hand you’re surely not the first person to put the wrong oil in a motorcycle, and thus far we haven’t heard of such severe DCT issues caused by oil type alone.

There are many compatible motorcycle oils available, but since it’s relatively cheap and available, just use Honda GN4 10w-30 from a dealer or purchased online.

Last edited:
Sure would be nice to see some enterprising dealer finally get a handle on the issue. Got a big lonnng ride planned for next year ‘bout 5K miles - starting to get a little nervous though I’ve had zero complaints with my DCT and no reason to expect any. But getting hung up somewhere with virtually no hope of a repair would really be a nasty surprise.

It’s like going to the hospital to visit a friend............and then wondering why everyone is so sick............then going home and start worrrying about getting some rare disease.

Happened a while back with cam chain noise........Couple of problems and everyone gets worried..........year later it’s a distant memory and is all but forgotten.

Last edited:
So update #5 I think for me, lol

Bike went into safe mode again Tuesday evening, no issues Wednesday coming or going to work, and then today (Thursday) it faulted on the way home from work.

In summation. It has gone into safe mode while engine was hot and cold, while accelerating and decelerating, and in gears 2,3,4 & 6. Every time I have been able (rather easily) to get the bike out of safe mode, until today. Gears wouldn’t budge... even with rolling it back and forth while button mashing any and all controls....had it towed to Sun Enterprises in Denver..... Now awaiting the fate of my first interaction with their service department, their diagnostics, and recommendations.

Also I have discovered that not only did I use the incorrect oil (the manual specifically says not to use “energy conserving” oils.... the one I used doesn’t mention on the front but only on the API service symbol on the back and calls it “resource conserving” I’m hoping (fingers crossed) that the thinner “energy/resource conserving oil (which is being used by the transmission as well as the engine) is causing it to slip and fault into safe mode. So maybe, just maybe an oil change and a DDNDN calibration will do the trick? Here’s hoping

Sad but Cheers none the less,

Erik,

Would be awesome if the fix was as simple as new oil.

It’s like going to the hospital to visit a friend............and then wondering why everyone is so sick............then going home and start worrrying about getting some rare disease.

Happened a while back with cam chain noise........Couple of problems and everyone gets worried..........year later it’s a distant memory and is all but forgotten.

Good analogy. I won’t skip my trip or take a different bike - too much planning has gone into this. But it will be that nagging little worry that won’t quite go away.

For three years 2012 - 2015 the NC700X was Honda's best selling model in the EC and about 70% were DCT.

Well then, if your NC700x with a DTC pukes up send it off to the EC to get it fixed. For a motorcycle model that Honda has been selling in THIS country for six years, it's a perfectly reasonable expectation for an owner of one with a problem with the transmission to bring it to any Honda dealer and get the thing fixed in a reasonable amount of time without calling Honda USA, or a lawyer. If someone has to only buy a Gold Wing to get decent service, then Honda should only sell Gold Wings. Not interested in lame excuses from Honda apologists.

Well then, if your NC700x with a DTC pukes up send it off to the EC to get it fixed. For a motorcycle model that Honda has been selling in THIS country for six years, it's a perfectly reasonable expectation for an owner of one with a problem with the transmission to bring it to any Honda dealer and get the thing fixed in a reasonable amount of time without calling Honda USA, or a lawyer. If someone has to only buy a Gold Wing to get decent service, then Honda should only sell Gold Wings. Not interested in lame excuses from Honda apologists.

That pretty much sums it up for my way of thinking..

That pretty much sums it up for my way of thinking..

Or choose your dealers, plumber, barber, dentist, proctologist, psychologist, roofer, optometrist, urologist, cardiologist and other people offering important or critical services very carefully and with thought.

What disagreement there may be from my POV is that some take the view that Honda as a corporate entity doesn't 'stand behind it's products' and others see the individual business DBA Coleman Powersports as the responsible party here. If the bike was under warranty my beef would be with corporate Honda.

I’ve owned a good variety of brands but Honda is one that I have always “sworn by”. This isn’t an antique bike or one that has lived beyond any reasonable measure of useful life nor a case of planned obsolescence. This is still a relatively new motorcycle with cutting edge (for motorcycles) technology by a major manufacturer. It’s not a question of warranty or a claim that nothing should ever fail or break down. No one has suggested that it be fixed for free. It’s just a matter of having a competent dealer network that can facilitate a diagnosis and repair in a timely manner. I do believe that’s a corporate responsibility. Let’s just call it good old fashioned Customer Service. And it just seems logical to me, without splitting hairs over how the distribution market is structured, that as the problem gets elevated, some entity along the way should step in and help bring some resolution to this. As I’ve said before, it’s in everyone’s best interest. The only “blame” here in my mind is if all the players involved just stand back and artfully pass the buck or decide not to step up or “get further involved“. That would be disappointing. It ain’t gonna break the dealers, or Honda, or even the owner, but it would suggest to me just one more example of how low things have gotten in our society in terms of taking responsibility, taking pride in solving a problem, and taking care of a CUSTOMER. Yeah, I’m kind of big on that last point. It’s been my entire focus for most of my working life. I don’t have any beef with anyone’s opinion. No one need take anything personal. Seems to me we would all like to see the problem resolved. Even if we express things differently.

Update #14 (Day 81): Bike is still at the shop. No updates from service dpt. I missed Honda's response to my twitter feed from last week, looks like I have their attention. Let's see what my customer care agent has to say. Fingers crossed. #Hope

tweet.jpg

Update #15 (Day 82): Dealer called and said bike is fixed. They are confident the shifting motor was the source of the problem. They replaced it, rode the bike 30 miles in various conditions and will keep it one more day to test. Fingers crossed...

So to sum up:

1. Battery: replaced
2. Shifter pin: checked
3. ECU (PCM) unit: replaced
4. Oil and filters: changed
5. Clutch pack: replaced
6: Shifting motor: replaced

Last edited:
Update #15 (Day 82): Dealer called and said bike is fixed. They are confident the shifting motor was the source of the problem. They replaced it, rode the bike 30 miles in various conditions and will keep it one more day to test. Fingers crossed...

So to sum up:

1. Battery: replaced
2. Shifter pin: check
3. ECU (PCM) unit: replaced
4. Oil and filters: changed
5. Clutch pack: replaced
6: Shifting motor: replaced

Let's hope so.

Go figure ... so simple ... bike doesn’t shift reliably = replace bad shift motor. It only took a few months :(

...the shifting motor was the source of the problem....

Shift control motor is monitored by PCM.
Any deviation from programmed function should produce at least one of DTC code: 22-1, 23-1, 24-1, 27-1 or 31-1.
If this is not a case, Honda's self-diagnostic system is worthless.

Fingers crossed on the fix.

I am not sure however if BMW in general and this model in particular would be a better choice for the future. You've had a bad luck with your particular Honda, but as a brand it still has a much better reliability record than BMW.

Last edited:
Back