• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT Technology across a spectrum

mercurydog47

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride a Yamaha FJR 1300AE with the paddle shifting system. While I am interested in going over to the Honda nc700 DCT I wondered why Honda didn't just offer DCT as an option on their tried-and-true 1300 ST platform. The problem I am seeing is that to get the full range of goodies on the nc700 you have to spend about $3,000 or more. These include, built in side cases, larger windshield, heated handgrips, 12v socket, comfortable seats, center stand, etc. which all come more or less standard on the 1300 ST and there is still the question of fairing which is excellent on the 1300. Maybe that will come later.

I think your list will go only part way to making an NC700 into a pan 1300. Forget the screen, you will spend years trying to deflect all the air which you will never do unless you are about 5'4". Accept that the standard Honda screen does a good job of keeping the windblast of your torso while putting your head in relatively clear air. Yeah the other Honda accessories are ridiculously expensive - particularly the £300 heated grips, but there are good aftermarket alternatives. The Honda rack is a thing of beauty and worth paying for and the centre stand works well too. I thought the seat was bad but now love it.
What I'm waiting for is not a Pan 1300 with DCT, but a touring (fully faired) version of the NC700 - it will be a dream one-up touring machine
Mike

I think your list will go only part way to making an NC700 into a pan 1300. Forget the screen, you will spend years trying to deflect all the air which you will never do unless you are about 5'4". Accept that the standard Honda screen does a good job of keeping the windblast of your torso while putting your head in relatively clear air. Yeah the other Honda accessories are ridiculously expensive - particularly the £300 heated grips, but there are good aftermarket alternatives. The Honda rack is a thing of beauty and worth paying for and the centre stand works well too. I thought the seat was bad but now love it.
What I'm waiting for is not a Pan 1300 with DCT, but a touring (fully faired) version of the NC700 - it will be a dream one-up touring machine
Mike

I find it very interesting to see many members wanting to transform the 700X in to something it never was made for. It is a fun lightweight commuter/weekend warrior. I am way too tall for any decent windshield so I will just ride it like I bought it. The only major mod for me is a new seat. I own the the non-DCT version, just because.

Agree. The ST is too close to end of design life for Honda to do the adaptation. I'm with Mike on hoping for an NC based ST. I would make it a three cylinder 1000cc shaft bike. 3/4 of a Jazz motor instead of 1/2. 75hp, 600 lbs., 55mpg. DCT. But, my NC is satisfying enough for now and by time something like that comes out I'll probably be drooling green beans down the front of my shirt in a nursing home.

They could choose to do an Intgera style fairing with NCX placed footrests and controls. Hmmm.

I find it very interesting to see many members wanting to transform the 700X in to something it never was made for. It is a fun lightweight commuter/weekend warrior. I am way too tall for any decent windshield so I will just ride it like I bought it. The only major mod for me is a new seat. I own the the non-DCT version, just because.

Absolutely agree with your comment. If the NC were another ST, I would not have bought one. Not that it would be a bad thing, but I don't need one. Instead of looking at the NC as a $7000 bike that needs $3000 of extras, look at it as a $10,000 bike that you can purchase for only $7000 without all the stuff you didn't need/want.

Greg

Is the VFR1200 DCT terribly different from an ST 1300, apart from footpeg and handlebar placement?

Honda already did that (well, not with a DCT), and no one bought it.

Bike+at+SDL.jpg

trey

Looks like the NT700V's predecessor. Nobody in the USA bought the NT, either. It (the NT) had appeal to me, but was not enough of a 'generalist' bike, and mpg was lower than my CBR600, so I couldn't see it, for my use.

I have to agree with the fact that one simply has to accept that the NC700 DCT is different from the Sport Touring bikes and there is no point in trying to make them into something they are not. Still wondering if the NV700 could not have been DCT equipped and opened up the market. I think the NV700 (Deauville in Europe) is discontinued in the United States. I have never seen one.

I have to agree with the fact that one simply has to accept that the NC700 DCT is different from the Sport Touring bikes and there is no point in trying to make them into something they are not. Still wondering if the NV700 could not have been DCT equipped and opened up the market. I think the NV700 (Deauville in Europe) is discontinued in the United States. I have never seen one.
Excellent bikes for the role that they are designed for. prior to getting the NC as my commuter bike I had a succesion of 3 Deauvilles two 650s and a 700. If I'm honest I sometimes wonder if I should have found the exttra money for a fourth instead of changing to the NC

I'm not saying the touring version of the NC should be a Sports-touring bike - it could never be, given it's power delivery parameters. But I don't think it would be a X derived version either as that's too sit up and beg style.
I sold a ninja 250R (well my daughter's actually) to buy the NC, but I have to say that of all the bikes I have ever sat on that ninja 250R felt the most 'right' You weren't hunched down like a sportbike nor sat up straight like a GS of NC700X but the windblast at 70 took all the weight off your wrists and yet allowed the perfect amount of weight to be put over the front wheel for handling in the twisties.
I think a fairing on the NC700S with flat handlebars would just about do it.
Mike

Back