• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Demo'ed an DCT today

Towjam

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never seriously considered an auto-tranny bike but when my dealer offered to let me demo a 6-speed and DCT back to back, I wasn't going to turn him down. :D

I started out on the DCT and did a 50 mile ride on the freeway, some backroads around DFW airport and through some brutal stop and go traffic due to ongoing highway construction.

Long story short, going in I had no intention of seriously considering the DCT - I'm old school and like the "feel of control" that having a manually tranny gives me. Today's test ride has made me seriously rethink this. In fact, I didn't even bother riding the 6-speed.

I know I'm preaching to the choir (I mean, look what forum this is) but I think dealers will be doing themselves a disservice if they don't promote demo rides on the DCT. The bike practically sells itself.

just my $.02 (and worth almost every penny)

I had the DCT version of the VFR1200 and would never had DCT again. Whilst I loved it 90% of the time I missed the clutch lever for very low speed control. This culminated in me dropping it at almost a stand still when the engine stalled whilst manouvering out of a very tight parking spot.
But Hey! each to their own
PS I love your signature

Several of the blog or magazine reviews I have read say the DCT is well suited for the NC700X's power characteristics. If I had ridden one I might have chosen differently but since I put a deposit on a manual tranny bike weeks before they arrived my decision was made beforehand. I am thinking if this bike continues to grow on me I might look for a lightly used DCT model in a couple years. I was just a little wary of the new technology transmission when I was making up my mind. I tend to keep a bike a long time and put a lot of miles on them.

Well, what are you going to do now that you have ridden one?

I had the DCT version of the VFR1200 and would never had DCT again. Whilst I loved it 90% of the time I missed the clutch lever for very low speed control. This culminated in me dropping it at almost a stand still when the engine stalled whilst manouvering out of a very tight parking spot.

Since the NC's DCT is the 2nd gen, I'm hoping Honda has worked through this. However, I didn't do any low speed parking lot maneuvers since I wasn't that comfortable with the auto tranny and I didn't want to risk dumping it during the demo.

Several of the blog or magazine reviews I have read say the DCT is well suited for the NC700X's power characteristics. If I had ridden one I might have chosen differently but since I put a deposit on a manual tranny bike weeks before they arrived my decision was made beforehand. I am thinking if this bike continues to grow on me I might look for a lightly used DCT model in a couple years. I was just a little wary of the new technology transmission when I was making up my mind. I tend to keep a bike a long time and put a lot of miles on them.

Well, what are you going to do now that you have ridden one?

I haven't totally written off the 6-speed. I'm not convinced that the DCT/ABS option is worth the $2k price difference - especially since it doesn't provide any performance benefits. In any event, I'm still waiting to see what else is being announced for '13 from some of the other manufacturers before I pull the trigger. I'll probably be doing something by the 1st/2nd week of September.

From what I heard and read, the NCX with the DCT can be very easy to ride. However if one wants to ride "aggressively" on twisties and corners, a DCT is likely to upshift too sooon and it is not conducive to "taking the corner" in lower gear/higher revs. Manual gear choice is still the way to go (for me at least).

According to the Honda dealer who "advised" me, a "real" biker will always ride with gear levers and so on. DCT (this one on NCX) is not that advanced that it can compensate or cleverly choose the right gear for the rider in "sporty" situation, although there is a "sports mode" setting.

However, to ride a DCT, it can be very comfortable without the clutch and without 'thinking".
This may be the population of at least 40-50% of the rider group targeted by Honda for this little wonder.

When I say the following, it is not targeting any single person. Honda also have the older generation riders in mind, when designing the DCT for this bike. Without the clutch, some older riders can return to riding without the hassle of clutch control.

Of course all my rants are just my guessing, no facts and don't even try to hang me on any of this.
:D

Last edited:
I can assure you that mt VFR1200 DCT could be ridden quite aggressively in the twisties using either sports mode or using the paddles to change gear manually. I could cetainly make quicker changes using the paddles than I can using a foot lever and clutch lever.
Still according to your honda dealer I'm not a real rider as I had a DCT so what would I know?

From what I heard and read, the NCX with the DCT can be very easy to ride. However if one wants to ride "aggressively" on twisties and corners, a DCT is likely to upshift too sooon and it is not conducive to "taking the corner" in lower gear/higher revs. Manual gear choice is still the way to go (for me at least).

According to the Honda dealer who "advised" me, a "real" biker will always ride with gear levers and so on. DCT (this one on NCX) is not that advanced that it can compensate or cleverly choose the right gear for the rider in "sporty" situation, although there is a "sports mode" setting.

However, to ride a DCT, it can be very comfortable without the clutch and without 'thinking".
This may be the population of at least 40-50% of the rider group targeted by Honda for this little wonder.

When I say the following, it is not targeting any single person. Honda also have the older generation riders in mind, when designing the DCT for this bike. Without the clutch, some older riders can return to riding without the hassle of clutch control.

Of course all my rants are just my guessing, no facts and don't even try to hang me on any of this.

You can always run the DCT in MT (manual) mode and control your shift points. Too, when running in AT mode, you can still override the current gear setting and manually downshift or upshift - so I don't see the DCT as being a hinderance for agressive riding. My concern would be in slow parking lot maneuvering situtations - although I didn't test it during my demo ride (I'm not interested in making a "you broke it, you buy it" purchase).

By the way, IMHO your dealer is an idiot for making such a statement. This reminds me of the attitude that some Harley dealers have towards the XR1200 - the best handling Harley they've built in the history of ever. Yet if you go into an HD dealer and try to buy one, there's a very good chance that the dealer will do their damndest to steer you to another bike. Maybe that's why HD has discontinued it. But I digress....

You can always run the DCT in MT (manual) mode and control your shift points. Too, when running in AT mode, you can still override the current gear setting and manually downshift or upshift - so I don't see the DCT as being a hinderance for agressive riding. My concern would be in slow parking lot maneuvering situtations - although I didn't test it during my demo ride (I'm not interested in making a "you broke it, you buy it" purchase).

By the way, IMHO your dealer is an idiot for making such a statement. This reminds me of the attitude that some Harley dealers have towards the XR1200 - the best handling Harley they've built in the history of ever. Yet if you go into an HD dealer and try to buy one, there's a very good chance that the dealer will do their damndest to steer you to another bike. Maybe that's why HD has discontinued it. But I digress....

Good to read your view, TJ.
Yeah, probably the dealer wanted a fast deal because I would have to wait 2 months for the DCT to arrive. Anyway I am quite happy with the manual transmission. To be clear, my dealer did not "hard-push" me towards taking the manual one, and it was really me who did not want to wait. And the way he gave me the box, the rack, the touring shield for free, I cannot say bad things about him.

He also did not have a DCT NCX but he had the Integra DCT. Maybe it was my mistake to take that for a testride. The scooter thing wrecked the deal for me. I could say the DCT works quite well (I did not go aggressive....come on it was a scooter).

I do know of dealers like the Harley one you spoke about.
They must be mad. But then, they are also entitled to their idiotic ideas/opinions. To them, we are the idiots.
Live and let live, that's the way to peace.

Last edited:
I have 6000 miles in 8 mile increments on my Zuma scoot. I just purchased the DCT solely because to me it is a scooter that looks like a motorcycle and digging it.

It just shows haw peoples views differ. To me it is a motorcycle that looks too much like a scooter which is why I decided not to buy it.
If you know anything about motorcycling in the UK circa 1963 and check out my user name & advatar you will understand:)

I got my DCT last Monday, so 6 days on the bike. I adore it. I traded in my beloved Honda Reflex 250 scooter with no regrets. I have ridden a standard manual transmission 500cc Suzuki in the past. I flipped back and forth in my mind many times regarding whether or not to splurge on the DCT. I came close to getting the 6 speed at one point. Then I think I decided I'd really like to have the ABS for added safety. Then I reflected a lot about the differences of driving my manual Suzuki compared to the automatic scooter. I drive mostly all in the city for commuting and fun. I remembered engine braking at lights on the Suzuki. I remembered ripping away from traffic lights on the scooter. I decided that while shifting is fun, I didn't really need to do it.

Now that I have the DCT I know I made the right decision for me. To me it's just safer not to deal with the clutch and shifting. I can inch out on yellow lights or in bumper to bumper traffic without messing w/ 1st gear and neutral. I can zip off in an instant if need be. Twist and shout! The bike handles super easily at low speeds in parking lots, garages or wherever. Frankly, I don't see any down side to it as long as it continues to work as it should over time. Time will tell. I bought the 4 yr. warranty since that is an unknown. But I'm pretty confident in Honda and I never had the slightest problem with my Honda scooter for over 4 years.

The main thing I've been surprized about is how rapidly it shifts. It's up to 6th gear in no time. One Aprilia Mana (automatic 850cc) owner said he rode an NC700 DCT and that the Mana is smoother. That could be. You do feel and hear the gears clunk a bit in the lower gears. You don't feel that on the Reflex scooter, but that's an entirely different type of transmission and a lot less power. I don't know if it's a perfect transmission, but I'll take it. I love it!

I am down with all this. The DCT is a great innovation. I have about 2500 miles on my bike but I am really have only one objection remaining and that is about the seat which is a bit of a torture implement. I tried installing the rectangle of tempurpedic foam that CalSci sells but in the long run it didn't really solve the problem.

DCT is great stuff and I hope Honda or even other manufacturers apply it to other bikes. I would buy a 1300 ST with DCT technology in a heartbeat.

It just shows haw peoples views differ. To me it is a motorcycle that looks too much like a scooter which is why I decided not to buy it.
If you know anything about motorcycling in the UK circa 1963 and check out my user name & advatar you will understand:)

a lot of us folks have GROWN up since and have moved on.
times are different now Rocker you've got to let go mate.
there's good and bad points in both scooter's and bikes.
I can understand the Lambretta/vespa are not really suited today's traffic.
modern scooters are totally different kettle of fish.
and here's a man who had Lambretta scooters till I reach the age of 21 but I have no desire own one let alone buy one.
let bygone be bygone.
all I can say enjoy what you've got whether it's a scooter/bike.

I've had the DCT for 6 months now. It is ideal for city traffic, 100% attention to surroundings, in sports mode it is always ready for quick acceleration up to 65mph. I do a lot of canyon riding on weekends, sports mode seems to always be in the ideal gear for every situation. The only negative is slow speed maneuvering. 100% dependent on throttle response, so far the NC's throttle has never let me down. Had a few scary moments from the old habit of revving the engine! I have no problems with slow speed maneuvering now that I have fine tuned my throttle control, my only worry is will the bike be as responsive as it is now when it has 20k + miles on it. If I was buying a bike today, I would buy the DCT again.

I doubt there's any point being pedantic about it, but the manual transmission and the DCT are both "six-speeds".

Not to hijack the thread, but how are you feeling, Mike?

I am much better, thank you. I got out of the hospital last Friday following a one week stay, during which I lost about 9kg, about 2/3 of which was water in my lower legs from edema brought on by a separate injury and kidney failure a year ago. It was like suddenly having 3kg ankle weights removed after wearing them for a year. Next time I got on my bike and went to put my feet up on the pegs I actually ended up raising them a few inches above the pegs for a while.

On topic:

I think if I had been given a chance to try the DCT on a test ride I probably would have liked it. Don't know if I would have gone the extra $2,000 for DCT or not, though. It is nice to know the option is out there just in case I develop trouble with my left leg or some arthritic problem in my hands that would make a clutch burdensome. Beats the heck out of having to give up riding or perhaps switch to a scooter (which I would still rather do than go back to a car again).

Back