• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Does such a bike exist?

LanceK

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the size and weight of the my NC, but I can’t help but think that there is a better bike for me. I want a bike the same size and weight as the NC, but with better wind protection and less vibration. I like to ride back roads 60-65mph, but also want the ability to get on the highway and run 75-80mph for long stretches. I’ve heard of bikes that run like “sewing machines” that sure sounds appealing to me. Silent, smooth and quiet is what I’m thinking.

I’ll probably end up keeping the NC for a while, but I like to shop around for my next bike.

So, what other motorcycles should I consider?

Silent, smooth and quiet means all electric, but I don’t know of an electric model the size of the NC that has great wind protection.

Unfortunately the smooth gas powered bikes are usually 4 cylinders or more and typically larger and heavier than the NC. I do think the two cylinder CB500X is smoother than the NC, but you’d have to add your own wind protection.

Your dream bike would also be mine, but I don’t think it exists right now.

Another possibility is to get on the slippery slope of owning more than one motorcycle. In that case I would suggest keeping the NC and adding a Zero to the fleet.

The electric doesn’t meet the long highway criteria.

Never ridden the tracer, but I don’t see how any adventure bike gets good wind protection. Maybe my opinion is off because I only have experience with the NC and it’s non-stop at any speed buffeting.

I wish there was a light weight ST1300. That bike sure looks appealing, but it’s big and heavy. I have limited garage space and it may be a problem, plus moving it by hand to get to stuff stored behind it might be a problem.

The electric doesn’t meet the long highway criteria.

Never ridden the tracer, but I don’t see how any adventure bike gets good wind protection. Maybe my opinion is off because I only have experience with the NC and it’s non-stop at any speed buffeting.

I wish there was a light weight ST1300. That bike sure looks appealing, but it’s big and heavy. I have limited garage space and it may be a problem, plus moving it by hand to get to stuff stored behind it might be a problem.
In the used market the 2005 - 2013 BMW R1200RT ticks some of your boxes. Without saddlebags it is about 70 lbs heavier than the NC700X and like the NC it carries it's 571 lbs low and feels lighter than it is. Superb wind protection and ergos for long comfortable rides. I rode a ST1300 for 180,000 miles. The ST's V4 is very refined and very smooth but once you are moving the RT's opposed twin cylinder engine is acceptably smooth. I love my RT.

Maybe Honda’s NT700V?

I think they sold rather few in N. America. I’ve not ridden one. I _almost_ bought one when I bought Wiley instead. Certainly better wind protection than the NCX has. I don’t know about the relative smoothness of the two.

In the used market the 2005 - 2013 BMW R1200RT ticks some of your boxes. Without saddlebags it is about 70 lbs heavier than the NC700X and like the NC it carries it's 571 lbs low and feels lighter than it is. Superb wind protection and ergos for long comfortable rides. I rode a ST1300 for 180,000 miles. The ST's V4 is very refined and very smooth but once you are moving the RT's opposed twin cylinder engine is acceptably smooth. I love my RT.
How does the RT compare to the ST as far as cost to maintain and reliability? I do all of my own maintenance with the exception of major engine/gearbox overhauls, so I would assume both would be about equal.

BMW = Bring More Wallet

Does that answer your question? LOL!

Seriously, I don’t know that comparison. I have a BMW m/c, but not an R12xx

How does the RT compare to the ST as far as cost to maintain and reliability? I do all of my own maintenance with the exception of major engine/gearbox overhauls, so I would assume both would be about equal.
I have no doubt that Honda overall is a more reliable brand than BMW and one could probably neglect maintenance on a Honda and get away with it in a way you probably couldn't with BMW. Just comparing time and difficulty of routine maintenance my RT is far easier and quicker to do. Screw and lock nut valves (2005-2009), air cooled, no complicated linked brake hydraulic system, fairing removal quicker. I did the brake fluid replacement on the RT this morning before church. It took an hour. On the ST that was a 3 hour job and that was after I'd done it many times. On the other hand, the ST's oil and valve check service requirements are spaced further apart. For a DIY guy like myself I don't really see the RT as more expensive to maintain.

A far more complex comparison is how are the bikes to ride? The BMW has a hard to define something that for lack of words I'll call character but I usually hate to use that word. It seems more of a piece, a touring bike made by riders that ride and ride far, riders building bikes like it for a long time. It handles better, bumpy corners don't affect it, it's cooler in regards to engine heat and has better wind management. It's nearly 150 lbs lighter! OTOH, the ST has a smoother engine and far more refined engine and transmission combination.

While I agree the BMW boxer twin would be a good choice to look into, I did not think of it when I made my original post. In the’70s, ‘80s and ‘90s, I rode many long touring trips with a good friend who owned and rode BMW boxer twins (two different examples) after he sold his ‘76 Suzuki GS750. On the other hand, I, on a Suzuki GS850G and later a Honda ST1100, never experienced problems (well, a tachometer cable broke once on the Suzy). The Beemer was towed once because the breaker points housing got full of rain water, a wheel bearing failed once, the battery cable broke off due to vibration, the thing smoked like crazy in the morning if parked overnight on the sidestand, occasionally a carb float needle stuck and soaked his boot with gasoline, and on my test ride of the boxer, I found the vibration bothersome compared to my in-line 4 Suzy, and my later ST1100. Witnessing his experiences first hand, I don’t even consider BMWs anymore. However they have a good following, and I hope they’ve improved in quality over the decades.

He sold the Beemer eventually and now owns a Honda.

Reactions: MZ5
Thanks for making my point. Sounds like your friend didn’t maintain his 70s era BMW. It was at least 20 years older than any ST1100. I rode my ‘81 R100 to nearly 120,000 miles and never had experiences like your friend. In less than half that mileage you’ve had a NC wheel bearing failure as have others in this forum. I imagine you’re going to check them more often than before.

Last edited:
Now finding an RT that has had the maintenance done correctly may be a problem. I enjoy maintaining my vehicles, so frequent valve checks don’t concern me. Breaking down in the middle of nowhere does concern me. I’ve got time, this sure has been a good conversation so far… keep the ideas flowing! Thanks!

Some things you can’t predict. My otherwise reliable ST1300 stranded me in the middle of the Okefeeknoee when the alternator failed.

Thanks for making my point. Sounds like your friend didn’t maintain his 70s era BMW. It was at least 20 years older than any ST1100. I rode my ‘81 R100 to nearly 120,000 miles and never had experiences like your friend. In less than half that mileage you’ve had a NC wheel bearing failure as have others in this forum. I imagine you’re going to check them more often than before.
You’re perhaps jumping to a conclusion on the comparison because I didn’t adequately detail the timeline and all bikes involved. The 70s era BMW never existed alongside the ST1100. Early on, I rode a ‘77 Suzuki GS550, and he a ‘70s BMW R75/6 (if I remember right; I’m don’t totally remember the models). Those two were of similar vintage. The boxer he then put miles on alongside me was an early ‘80s model, bought new, perhaps around 1981. I think it was 1000cc. My Suzuki GS850G was a 1982, bought new. Again, they were of the same vintage but not comparable in observed reliability, at least from my observations of these particular examples. I remember incidents, but not so much what broke on which BMW model. My 1997 ST1100 didn’t enter the picture until I bought it in 1998. I test road a then modern BMW before deciding on the ST.

He wrenched his own bikes for the most part, and although I can’t absolutely attest to his skill levels, I think they were at least average.

People have varied opinions of motorcycle brands and models based on past experiences and/or observations. I was simply expressing mine.

Last edited:
I really like the size and weight of the my NC, but I can’t help but think that there is a better bike for me. I want a bike the same size and weight as the NC, but with better wind protection and less vibration. I like to ride back roads 60-65mph, but also want the ability to get on the highway and run 75-80mph for long stretches. I’ve heard of bikes that run like “sewing machines” that sure sounds appealing to me. Silent, smooth and quiet is what I’m thinking.

I’ll probably end up keeping the NC for a while, but I like to shop around for my next bike.

So, what other motorcycles should I consider?
Maybe the NT1100, but for what they cost new, may as well get a used Wing. Little bigger and heavier than you'd like though? The 1100 appeals to me for the bigger engine/wind protection, but it's not in my budget currently, and not sure if they're in the states yet? I've got a big ole screen and attachment to get the wind over my head, otherwise no matter what other screen I've tried the turbulence is almost unbearable at 5'9"

If I was going to spend the money for a new NT1100. I’d probably buy a RT, an ST and an NT700. Not sure where I would put them, but that would be a problem for another day!

If MPG is a factor, I don't think you'll find anything like what you're describing without going under 50mpg. Concours 14, FJR, Goldwing, all bigger and insanely smooth with plenty of power and IMO poor MPG.

I really hope the NT1100 will be offered in North America for 2023. This motorcycle is attractive to me for several reasons. BTW, I sold my 2007 ST1300 ABS really because of the weight (730 lb). Too many occurrences where I risked dropping it in low-speed manoeuvres. On the other hand, I really miss the comfort and wind protection offered by the ST.

As for the final drive by chain on the NT, no concern anymore for me since I installed a “semi-automatic” chain oiler on the NC.

So, I did a little comparative weight exercise based on the manual version (wet weight). To compare apples to apples, I added to the NC750X the weight of the center stand, side cases and side case supports; equipment that I have on the NC and which are factory fitted on the NT.

NC750X (mine a 2015) manufacturer specified weight: 483 lbs
Center stand: 6.3 lb
Side Case Racks: ~ 5 lb
Side cases: 16 lbs

Total NC750X: ~510 lb
Total NT1100: 525 lb

For me the choice would be easy. I keep my fingers crossed.

And yes, I would regret the frunk…

I really hope the NT1100 will be offered in North America for 2023. This motorcycle is attractive to me for several reasons. BTW, I sold my 2007 ST1300 ABS really because of the weight (730 lb). Too many occurrences where I risked dropping it in low-speed manoeuvres. On the other hand, I really miss the comfort and wind protection offered by the ST.

As for the final drive by chain on the NT, no concern anymore for me since I installed a “semi-automatic” chain oiler on the NC.

So, I did a little comparative weight exercise based on the manual version (wet weight). To compare apples to apples, I added to the NC750X the weight of the center stand, side cases and side case supports; equipment that I have on the NC and which are factory fitted on the NT.

NC750X (mine a 2015) manufacturer specified weight: 483 lbs
Center stand: 6.3 lb
Side Case Racks: ~ 5 lb
Side cases: 16 lbs

Total NC750X: ~510 lb
Total NT1100: 525 lb

For me the choice would be easy. I keep my fingers crossed.

And yes, I would regret the frunk…
The NT is based on the Africa Twin platform and it’s engine sets higher in the frame in addition to being nearly vertical. Although the overall weight is similar to the NC a 525 lb AT feels much heavier due to the higher center of gravity. I fear the NT1100 will have a similarly placed CG though the road use 17” focused wheels will reduce it somewhat. Something to think about.

Back