• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Extreme Farkling - Gone with the Wind

ok digging up this thread because I love the mods you did to your bike
i have bug's splatter on my knees when riding.
so i want to copy your mod
how is it working.
will it help with the wind ..
it's a big deal to me because I'm allergic to bee stings
seeing your guards helped me get the givi crash guards

ok digging up this thread because I love the mods you did to your bike
i have bug's splatter on my knees when riding.
so i want to copy your mod
how is it working.
will it help with the wind ..
it's a big deal to me because I'm allergic to bee stings
seeing your guards helped me get the givi crash guards

They work well. The wind hits the top of my legs but not the knees. If I tuck in, I can almost get the sides of my lower legs out of the airstream (but not quite). I made them 15 inches tall and the flat width was about 6-1/2 inches. There is no reason you could not make them taller or wider if you choose. I wouldn't use them to prevent bee stings on the legs, I'd use riding pants for that. In my experience, pavement stings are pretty evil too.

I don't get bug splatter anywhere on my legs (just the tops of my boots). The top and side hits on the legs are such glancing blows that they don't leave bug parts on me.

any chance of telling the story of the Telecaster hanging on the wall? It looks like it's autographed...

It is a sad story. It belonged to my son who was killed in an automobile accident when he was 23. Chris was a singer and songwriter and sound engineer. I still play his music as I think he was very talented. This was the guitar that he learned on. I bought it from a shop in Rochester, NY. He went from that, to a Strat, to a Les Paul and finally to a Paul Reed Smith.

It is a sad story. It belonged to my son who was killed in an automobile accident when he was 23. Chris was a singer and songwriter and sound engineer. I still play his music as I think he was very talented. This was the guitar that he learned on. I bought it from a shop in Rochester, NY. He went from that, to a Strat, to a Les Paul and finally to a Paul Reed Smith.

Oh, man.... I am so very sorry !!!!! :(

I am not a fan of fake carbon, actually not much of a fan of fake anything. I have considered painting them black from the backside, and may do that. Right now, I am having a head-scratcher with how to mount them to the bars. Any suggestions from the hive about that puzzler?

If you're going to paint them black from the back, how about having someone gifted with a brush do you some design work on them first? Sort of an "Elvis on black velvet" or "dogs playing poker" thing, you know....something classy like that.

when I read that my heart sank.
its awful to lose a son or daughter at a tender age.
I would be devastated if any thing happened to my son's or grand daughter.

If you're going to paint them black from the back, how about having someone gifted with a brush do you some design work on them first? Sort of an "Elvis on black velvet" or "dogs playing poker" thing, you know....something classy like that.

Classy is something I have never been accused of. And if accused, a conviction would be difficult.

I wish I had used light tinted sheet to match the new Madstad. Probably I am going to leave them alone, because:

1) I am lazy
2) I have more important things that I have not done
3) They work the same either way.

Last edited:
Hey, Lee!
As a musician and a guitar player myself, I would definitely appreciate whatever MP3s you can send me! I will PM you with my email.
Thx!

Lee, I know it is not your intention to steer this away from motorcycles but after reading what had happened to your beloved son, I just wanted to say I am very sad for you and your family. Take care. There are many things more important than bikes.

Well, if apartments in Gibraltar were as big as Lee's garage then only a couple of apartments would fit there LOL

Theoretically instead going sideways they could go vertical... you know... "Where's the will...".:cool:
Buy I know what you mean. ;)

Lee, I know it is not your intention to steer this away from motorcycles but after reading what had happened to your beloved son, I just wanted to say I am very sad for you and your family. Take care. There are many things more important than bikes.
Hi Lee I just want to echo what all the other guys have said

OK....back to farkle.... let me do something common like...ask Lee a stupid question I could find out on my own!!!
Here goes!....

Uh, Lee... I"m trying to find "gaiters" for the front forks. I know I need the 41mm variety, but I keep finding $50 prices in motorcycle shops!!! Yikes.
Now, I also find "monroe shock covers" for $8. They look like the same thing.
Im also considering a trip to the fabric store for some neoprene (stuff wet suits are made of) and cut that to fit and zip tie to the top and bottom.

What do you recommend?
Keep in mind, I'm not the sort to take the front wheel off, so whatever I do will have a slit in the back side. Good for ventilation to keep moisture from accumulating? Also, cost important... more than about $20, and it's not really doable.

Yes, I have searched this on the boards. That's how I know 41mm from a post you already made. Reccomendations? links?

and by the way.... does anyone know the origin/meaning of the word "farkle"....
makes me think of an old comedy routine on "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In"

Last edited:
OK....back to farkle.... let me do something common like...ask Lee a stupid question I could find out on my own!!!
Here goes!....

Uh, Lee... I"m trying to find "gaiters" for the front forks. I know I need the 41mm variety, but I keep finding $50 prices in motorcycle shops!!! Yikes.
Now, I also find "monroe shock covers" for $8. They look like the same thing.
Im also considering a trip to the fabric store for some neoprene (stuff wet suits are made of) and cut that to fit and zip tie to the top and bottom.

What do you recommend?
Keep in mind, I'm not the sort to take the front wheel off, so whatever I do will have a slit in the back side. Good for ventilation to keep moisture from accumulating? Also, cost important... more than about $20, and it's not really doable.

Yes, I have searched this on the boards. That's how I know 41mm from a post you already made. Reccomendations? links?

$50 is about right for a good set. I do not like the split variety. If I had to do something like that, I would look for the neoprene one with a velcro closure. They stand a chance of wiping the bugs off before they attack the oil seals. I bought a set as a last ditch effort before my last Alaska run and I probably have them somewhere. I was not impressed. Sorry, can't help with shortcuts on this. Don't know any good ones.

and by the way.... does anyone know the origin/meaning of the word "farkle"....
makes me think of an old comedy routine on "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In"

From the 2 Wheel Innovations web site:

Farkle: N: An Accessory intended to improve or embellish the original system; opulent luxury item; V: to add pleasure or comfort; to strut about after adding additional items to stock unit thus improving value or performance, usually saying "whoo-hoo" loudly to yourself or your neighbors.

Farkles: As defined by the ST1100 owners' club, a farkle is:

1. (Noun) any modification to one's motorcycle.
2. (Verb) the act of modifying one's motorcycle in some way.

Farkles may have functional or merely aesthetic value, or in fact no value whatsoever! To farkle is to expand one's connection to the motorcycle, to enhance its uniqueness, and provide a venue for personalization.
Farkles are accessories intended to improve some aspect of the vehicle in question.

For example:

- Visibility (accessory lighting, reflective materials, headlight modulators)
- Functionality (suspension improvements, cruise control, turn signal cancellation)
- Visual appeal (chrome, paint, stickers, badges)

Wish I had a workshop like Beemerphile-wish I had a workshop! If it had a fridge,shower, bed and tv I would be quite happy living in a workshop like that.

Back