• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fell on the bike, feeling like an idiot

ShipofFools

Reaction score
Visit site
After coming back from out of town, I decided to take my bike out for a ride, because why the hell not. My body has this weird issue that if I don't ride for a few days, my muscle memory starts to fade slightly. Anyway, I was pulling out of my girlfriend's apartment complex to make a right turn and like an idiot I took a spill. I don't know what it was, but I'm thinking I either let the clutch out too soon or I forgot I was in 2nd gear. I was barely moving at 2 mph so the bike only got a couple minor scratches. Tough bike. 1300 miles in and this happens. My confidence wasn't too shattered since I've been riding for 7 years.

Anyone else have a moment like this? Especially with a bike this new.

I pulled off a real winner. The first day I picked up my NC700X, I brought it home to show my wife. On my previous bike I could get it rolling by simply releasing the clutch without giving it any gas. Not so with the NC700X, it stalled and I dumped it in front of my wife. I put a nice dent in the muffler and bent the the front brake lever.

No problem happens to everyone. I saw a guy at Sturgis Rally pull out with lock still on disk brake. Yup made it 2 or 3 feet fell over knock the bike next to him down and next bike got damaged also. Now that is embarrassing.

Yeah I just wiped out 2 days after I got it making a right turn somehow. I'm a new rider so my confidence is a bit shaken. I'm a bit paranoid of doing damage to bike now so some engine guards/crash bars were ordered.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

Yeah I just wiped out 2 days after I got it making a right turn somehow. I'm a new rider so my confidence is a bit shaken. I'm a bit paranoid of doing damage to bike now so some engine guards/crash bars were ordered.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

Could be allot of things... a bit of sand in the road and you grabbed the front brake enough for it to lock, or could have been some oil or antifreeze residue. Usually the front brake is the culprit on 90 degree turns onto or off of roads. Its easy to lock that front wheel and you'll be going down faster than you can realize what's happening.

If you feel your confidence has taken a beating.. go to an MSF course or see if the police offer any courses for riders in your area. Here in North Carolina the police offer a course for free. They ride their own bikes behind you then tell you what they saw you were doing wrong. Not a bad thing!

Get GIVI crash bars!
Same happened to me after 500 km-s :)
Jerry motorman
It takes time to get used to it, practice&practice. Find an empty parking lot to know your bike's skills and yours!

Get GIVI crash bars!
Same happened to me after 500 km-s :)
Jerry motorman
It takes time to get used to it, practice&practice. Find an empty parking lot to know your bike's skills and yours!

Could be allot of things... a bit of sand in the road and you grabbed the front brake enough for it to lock, or could have been some oil or antifreeze residue. Usually the front brake is the culprit on 90 degree turns onto or off of roads. Its easy to lock that front wheel and you'll be going down faster than you can realize what's happening.

If you feel your confidence has taken a beating.. go to an MSF course or see if the police offer any courses for riders in your area. Here in North Carolina the police offer a course for free. They ride their own bikes behind you then tell you what they saw you were doing wrong. Not a bad thing!

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be practicing. I actually took the MSF basic course and didnt drop the bike once during the class. I did notice it was MUCH easier for me to turn left than it was to turn right but not to the extent of making me drop the bike. I think its more of a comfort thing cause I was perfectly fine the first day. For some reason I have a real hard time not taking a wide turn on the road to my house. Its just a residential side street but it almost feels like I'm going into the turn leaning but not turning if that makes any sense. Turning from a stop seems to not be an issue. Just frustrating that I'm having issues with something so simple is all. I've been told I need to relax when I'm riding that I'm too tense and its affecting my handling of the bike so we'll see if I can work that out lol. I hope I can cause I do love this NC700x :p

The feeling of leaning but not turning might be because of the nature of the NC700X. A motorcycle with a low center of gravity tends to lean more for a given radius turn than a motorcycle with a higher center of gravity. The NC700X definitely leans a lot more than the CBR's I've ridden on the same turns in and around my house.

It is kinda funny how sport bikes have evolved. It used to be that the manufacturers wanted to get center of gravity as low as possible but recently they've actually been raising them slightly because on the track the bikes with higher center of gravity didn't lean as much into the same turns which made them capable of holding more speed in sharp turns where you were limited more in lean angle than grip. It was a fine balancing act because high center of gravity's in high speed turns lead to less traction in the turns.

oh just wait till you go to the bank, walking away the bike makes a falling noise , hum maybe forget to put kickstand down,, happened to a good friend on mine...
also parking on an incline and not having it in gear
herd of peoples bike's rolling and failing over too.
it's all a learning experience.

I always kill the bike with the kickstand, that way its always down, and you know your bike is in gear, if it wasn't the bike wouldn't die...

I dropped mine in front of a gear store trying to get it off the center stand. (I had lowered her and my welder friend hadn't had the time to shorten the side stand so I had to put her on the c/s every time I stopped) 3 guys came over to rescue the damsel in distress, even though I asked them to let me try and pick her up first. I wanted to disappear. I had successfully done the same thing the day before at work with -nobody- around.
I also tend to be tense while riding. I am constantly reminding myself to let it go, and I can feel the difference around turns. It's gotten a little easier after spending 10 days and >4,000 miles just me and the bike.

Kevicon - here was my first few days on my ncx back in February - hadn't ridden in 25 years
1) full stop at a stoplight on the way home from the dealers, I was gawking around and just dropped the bike - no damage but felt real stupid.
2) next day, on the way back to the dealers to buy riding gear, I made a left from a stop at a light, gassed it to much and the bike slid across 3 lanes of traffic - banged up my knee(road rash still hasn't completely healed) minor damage to the bike
3) next day, riding with a friend - got worried about a planter on the outside of a left turn from a stop and ran into it - scraped up my front fender, frame and muffler - felt like an idiot.
4) same day, lost it on a corner in the country, worrying about a guard rail and ended up under the guard rail - banged up my shoulder(still sore in some movements) and did $1000-1500 cosmetic damage to the bike.
5) a week later, turning left across traffic into Cycle Gear, I had a moment of indecision and dropped the bike again in the middle of traffic (center turn lane - no danger) and felt entirely stupid.

You can't be having a worse time than I did. I learned something from every incident, have managed to stay upright since, and love my bike more every ride. Remember, where your eyes go, the bike goes. Ride safe and have fun. :)

Kevicon - here was my first few days on my ncx back in February - hadn't ridden in 25 years
1) full stop at a stoplight on the way home from the dealers, I was gawking around and just dropped the bike - no damage but felt real stupid.
2) next day, on the way back to the dealers to buy riding gear, I made a left from a stop at a light, gassed it to much and the bike slid across 3 lanes of traffic - banged up my knee(road rash still hasn't completely healed) minor damage to the bike
3) next day, riding with a friend - got worried about a planter on the outside of a left turn from a stop and ran into it - scraped up my front fender, frame and muffler - felt like an idiot.
4) same day, lost it on a corner in the country, worrying about a guard rail and ended up under the guard rail - banged up my shoulder(still sore in some movements) and did $1000-1500 cosmetic damage to the bike.
5) a week later, turning left across traffic into Cycle Gear, I had a moment of indecision and dropped the bike again in the middle of traffic (center turn lane - no danger) and felt entirely stupid.

You can't be having a worse time than I did. I learned something from every incident, have managed to stay upright since, and love my bike more every ride. Remember, where your eyes go, the bike goes. Ride safe and have fun. :)

Your just a crap rider ;-)

Tony

Back