• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First long ride on the NC, impressions & lessons learned

Wanderer

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First off, I bought this bike with the intention of going to Alaska on it. I've put a few farkles on it to facilitate that, so I took her for a bit of a shakedown run. 3000 miles in 5 days, 3 days' rest, then another 1000 miles home in two days. I'm not sure exactly the best way to organize my thoughts here. Also, I just got home, so this will probably just be a stream of semi-consciousness....

• What a machine?!? I found myself repeating that over and over. It's hideously underpowered on the interstate, but I don't care. I will run 85 all day long and I'd rather not be on the interstate anyway.
  • Fuel mileage can vary tremendously. I ranged 44mpg (running 85mph into a headwind) to 77 mpg (national forest dirt roads at 30 mph).
  • Russell daylong seats are worth every penny. They just are. I've never had anything remotely close. The only discomfort I had from the seat is from the edge of the seat on my thighs. Even that was only after spending the whole day in the saddle. If the pegs were a tad higher, or if I install some crash bars & highway pegs, that issue would go away.
  • Givi outback bags are heavy, but they work nicely.
  • BIRDS! Before this trip, I'd hit one bird on a motorcycle. I hit four in four days on this trip. One was a grouse. Honestly, it has me a little freaked out. Maybe killer dolphins eat birds instead of fish?
  • Deer and antelope are scary. Nevermind elk, wild horses, cows and buffalo. Denali spot lights aimed in the ditches gave me a little early warning.
  • A small compartment that I could access without turning off the bike would be nice.
  • Black helmets are hot. My next one will be white.
  • The Sena 20S is awesome. Up to about 60 mph, my wife can't even tell I'm on the bike when I call her. I can listen to music all day long on one charge.
  • Avon trailriders are great highway tires, ok for dirt roads, crap for sand. After 4,000 miles, there is a slight flat spot in the middle of the back tire. I can hardly tell the front has even been on the road.
  • Sand is treacherous. I nearly lost it on two different occasions in a couple of inches of loose sand. I was going 30 mph one of those times. Very sketchy.
  • I wish I had a cruise control. The Omni cruise is a clever device that is WAY better than nothing, but it needs frequent adjustment.
  • It's a long freakin' way to Fargo North Dakota. Also, there's not much to see for hundreds of miles on the way there. The farmland is beautiful, but after 12 hours of cornfields, you're ready to see something else.
  • There's a reason why Sturgis is such a big deal. Riding in the black hills is incredible. Do not miss Iron Mountain Rd if you go to Mt Rushmore. It's motorcycling Nirvana. Wind Caves NP is pretty fun as well.
  • If you're looking for an out-of-the-way place to go camping, Medicine Rock State Park in Montana should be on your list. Big sky, indeed.
  • If you're going riding in the national forest, get a forest service map and take a compass. Google maps doesn't work all that well without data.
  • Keep the chain lubed. I heard a weird popping sound at low speed on day 4, finally figured out it was the chain.
  • Take clear safety glasses. I wear sunglasses and keep the visor open to cool off my face. Sometimes it's hot at night and the sunglasses are too dark.
  • Get a hondabikepro rear rack with a fuel filler hole in it. It was a minor inconvenience having to move my cooler at every gas stop, but still an inconvenience.

I'm sure I'll think of more to add later...

20170731_120629alt.jpg
20170801_095459.jpg20170731_082034.jpg

Last edited:
I was at the same place today

25382e082e457d9595e3773017e61184.jpg

What kind of bag is on your back seat?

I believe that's an ozark trail soft cooler that is sort of like a yeti wanna be at a fraction of the price. I almost bought one for the beach. $40 at Walmart if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a 6500 mile trip last summer and the NC performed flawlessly. I do need a better saddle.

Thanks for the thoughts and photos. As a data point for Russell seat fitment, can I ask what is your inseam? Your comment hit home about higher pegs or highway pegs to go along with the RDL. I think for average to short legs, the NC pegs are too far rearward to accommodate the tall sides of the RDL. So I'm trying to determine the miniumum leg length that works.

Thanks for taking the time to report. After having my NC for 8 months I'm still not convinced it will take me on a long trip. I want it to, but I wasn't fully aware of what I was getting when I bought it. I'm slowly figuring it out though, and so far I love it for my commute, and weekend rides. It's funny, other riders mostly don't know what to make of it. I think that's one of the things I like about it.

Thanks for taking the time to report. After having my NC for 8 months I'm still not convinced it will take me on a long trip. I want it to, but I wasn't fully aware of what I was getting when I bought it. I'm slowly figuring it out though, and so far I love it for my commute, and weekend rides. It's funny, other riders mostly don't know what to make of it. I think that's one of the things I like about it.
I had the same feeling. After tons of research I'm convinced it will. Numerous ride reports on NC's up to Alaska, back down to the east coast. Mountain rides with more well k own adventure bikes, and following a guy going west coat to easy coast and back with absolutely zero issues at all. I'm convinced the right tires and a skid plate, this bike can take you most places you would expect it to go, and more. Happy riding.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Have a second key made and leave it in the frunk key lock. I put mine on a string with the key in the ignition so I don't forget it. Works well.
There is a more elaborate trick referred to up above that is better if you want.

Have a second key made and leave it in the frunk key lock. I put mine on a string with the key in the ignition so I don't forget it. Works well.
There is a more elaborate trick referred to up above that is better if you want.
I zip tied one of the short keys that only open the frunk inside the body work that would normally be the gas tank in most bikes and put a full size key that works the ignition in the storage at the bottom of the frunk where the owners manual go's. I was 150 miles from home (where my only spare was at the time) and dropped my key into the body work and it bounced into a crevice and took me over 30 min to locate and get out, only time I've been stuck for any length of time on my NC lol

I believe that's an ozark trail soft cooler that is sort of like a yeti wanna be at a fraction of the price. I almost bought one for the beach. $40 at Walmart if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the one. Works pretty well, would probably work better if I covered it to keep the sun off of it.

Thanks for the thoughts and photos. As a data point for Russell seat fitment, can I ask what is your inseam? Your comment hit home about higher pegs or highway pegs to go along with the RDL. I think for average to short legs, the NC pegs are too far rearward to accommodate the tall sides of the RDL. So I'm trying to determine the miniumum leg length that works.

I'm not sure exactly how you're supposed to measure it, but 29-30" or so.

I'm probably a true 32" inseam, 5'11". With the seat-slope mod and a Sit & Fly seat cover over a Shad or stock seat I find the stock foot-peg set-up pretty comfortable for a combination of riding positions including standing up (eBay risers made all the difference for all this). But I also use my crash guards as highway pegs. Being able to change positions really makes the difference for me... A thicker, wider, plusher seat would be nice but I fear it would screw me for backing out of some of the non-paved places I end up riding into ; }

Last edited by a moderator:

It road trips just fine, but it's not fast. It's the slowest bike I've ever owned, but it does the job. That's one of the reasons I picked it. I wanted a simple bike that carries what I need and gets good fuel mileage.

I zip tied one of the short keys that only open the frunk inside the body work that would normally be the gas tank in most bikes and put a full size key that works the ignition in the storage at the bottom of the frunk where the owners manual go's. I was 150 miles from home (where my only spare was at the time) and dropped my key into the body work and it bounced into a crevice and took me over 30 min to locate and get out, only time I've been stuck for any length of time on my NC lol

I had nightmares of dropping my key in the frunk and shutting it in there. Good tip...

Back