• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

first longish ride

estarr

Reaction score
Visit site
Today was my first time getting out for a few hours (almost 3 hours) and my neck is definitely sore from being tossed around from the wind. Does a touring windshield help enough to keep this from happening? It was fun though, I look forward to going longer.

I am 6' and the touring windshield is not quite enough. It's better than the stock small shield, but I could use a bit more. It really depends on the individual.

I am 5"11" and the national cycle touring tall windshield solves the problem for me. Has the brace just like the Honda tall, so I can use it to tether my video Wi-Fi equipment.

Windshield 001.jpg

Vstream is not cheap, made from polycarbonate. $265

[video=youtube;sCYtjp_RQ9s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCYtjp_RQ9s[/video]

8 bolts to change out to go back to stock. So, it would take me about 15 minutes to 30 minutes. However, I would never go back to stock.

I'm 6'1 and as gary said, the Honda touring screen isn't tall enough. I think it would be fine for 5'8-10. Madstad is a popular one. I'm debating the madstad or Vstream. The bar on the Honda like on the vstream is handy for mounting things.

I have the touring vstream as well and like it MUCH more than stock. I had problems with too much wind hitting my chest and head but that is gone now. Wish it was about 2 inches taller though since I am 6' and the wind hits the top of my helmet.

The windshield is important but if you are a newer rider part of riding able to ride longer and longer is just building stamina by putting in the miles. Everyone is different - I prefer a shorter windscreen and like my helmet in the rush of clear air unblocked by the windshield.

The windshield is important but if you are a newer rider part of riding able to ride longer and longer is just building stamina by putting in the miles. Everyone is different - I prefer a shorter windscreen and like my helmet in the rush of clear air unblocked by the windshield.

This.

Also I find fighting the wind leaves me in much worse shape then just going with it and letting my head bobble abit... most of the time.

That being said I'm still figuring out my wind shield solution, my long highway ride at 70 with 10 mph head wind (gusting to 20) left my face numb for the helmet pushing against it. I hope that 90 mph wind forces on my helmet would be the exception not the rule.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Today was my first time getting out for a few hours (almost 3 hours) and my neck is definitely sore from being tossed around from the wind. Does a touring windshield help enough to keep this from happening? It was fun though, I look forward to going longer.

Everyone is going to advise what they have or like when it comes to screens, so I'll say why I chose the one I have now.
I have a Madstad now because my CalSci cracked and the Madstad wasn't available when I was ready for more protection.
With the Madstad, I have a quiet ride with the wind above my helmet in cold weather, or with a turn of a couple of screws I can adjust it for more air on the hot days.
If I had a non adjustable screen, I would be putting on the factory screen when the temps go above 90.
I like being able to go from hot (low screen height) to cold (up all the way) with a turn of two screws.
Good luck finding the one that you like.

Yes i am a new rider. I just started in August so i know i need to build up to it. I don't mind the wind on my daily ride to work since its only 10 miles but i want to take it out more on longer rides so i was thinking a bigger windshield would make it more enjoyable.....and a seat cushion. That vstream looks nice though, i may go with that one.

This.

Also I find fighting the wind leaves me in much worse shape then just going with it and letting my head bobble abit... most of the time.

That being said I'm still figuring out my wind shield solution, my long highway ride at 70 with 10 mph head wind (gusting to 20) left my face numb for the helmet pushing against it. I hope that 90 mph wind forces on my helmet would be the exception not the rule.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
The ticket for me is not to have the bobble happening. That is turbulence at helmet level that you are feeling. As everyone is a different build and tolerance this is an art as much as a science. I worked with my shield for a while to get the height and rake correct so the turbulence breaks off the windshield and hits me just below the chin bar. Late in the day when I am tired and slumping a little I can hear and feel the wind hitting the chin bar. I start getting bumped around and it is getting noisy. I sit up just a little and it goes away as the airflow smooths out around my helmet. Even the helmet choice makes a difference as some are more oval and/or have deeper chin bars or face shields. The Shoei Neotech, my favorite helmet, has a deep chin and needed a little more rake than my secondary helmet, a J-Wing which is a 3/4 helmet that does not have a deep chin bar. I can slump in the J-Wing and not get that 1/2'" to 1 inch of turbulence that hits the NeoTech.

Late in the day when I am tired and slumping a little I can hear and feel the wind hitting the chin bar. I start getting bumped around and it is getting noisy. I sit up just a little and it goes away as the airflow smooths out around my helmet.

Believe it or not, noise really contributres to fatigue on long trips. I've installed chin curtains on all of my helmets and they really help to cut down on wind noise.

Bell Star Chin Curtain/Breath Guard - Motorcycle Superstore

I have the Bruundt extenders with my Cee Baileys tall screen and its a superb setup as I'm 6'1" with longish torso. BTW, I also have Dale's backing plates for a ultra strong installation.
I think the big difference between your Cee Baileys and my OEM touring screen is that yours is pretty longer...I think I have to buy another screen...:mad:

Attachments

• Uvex-gt500-variotronic-O.jpg
    Uvex-gt500-variotronic-O.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 96

Other riders make fun of them, but I make my own windshields from a sheet of lexan (24x18), the "nut plates" Hondabikepro sells, and sometimes aluminum flatbar. total cost? $50. I have a working template to send if you'd like a copy... it's cardboard, and you use it to trace and cut the lexan. The current version takes hand the guards ($20 cheap ones from cycle gear) into account.
The most recent windshield has hinged sections that bend out of the way when the handlebars are pegged left or right.
The slip stream is just beyond my shoulders on the sides and at my forehead on top (I'm 5'11").

Last edited:
Back