• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Flashing Gear Indicator

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings folks - been away a while battling the grim reaper - as such my bike hasn't been out for a couple of years. It's a 2015 model with less than 3k on the clock serviced just before I fell ill.
Question: Is there a cure for the flashing gear indicator?
I've trawled the internet and quite a few owners have had the problem but nowhere do I see a fix.
Because of the long lay-up my battery was duff, fitted a new Motobatt Premium and the bike fired up on the button - rides well and all gears change as expected but the numbers flash.
Any ideas anyone?

Glad to see you survived your illness. Welcome back.
Covid Flu??
Maybe a reset of the DCT is in order.
After that lay up, you will need another service, all fluids.

Greetings folks - been away a while battling the grim reaper - as such my bike hasn't been out for a couple of years. It's a 2015 model with less than 3k on the clock serviced just before I fell ill.
Question: Is there a cure for the flashing gear indicator?
I've trawled the internet and quite a few owners have had the problem but nowhere do I see a fix.
Because of the long lay-up my battery was duff, fitted a new Motobatt Premium and the bike fired up on the button - rides well and all gears change as expected but the numbers flash.
Any ideas anyone?
Have you checked your owner’s manual for any information on your situation? Is the display blinking the gear number, or blinking a dash symbol? Per the Honda service manual, a blinking dash (-) shift indicator means there is a DCT fault and troubleshooting is recommended.

Before we go into great detail assisting with your situation, is this something you’d fix yourself, or would you just be taking it to a dealer and paying for the repair?
2399D3AA-1B25-4C32-B99E-4376BA733829.jpeg

I was kinda hoping that I could clear the error code myself - I'm convinced that there's nothing wrong with the gearbox - trying to start with a dud battery brought on the flashing I'm thinking.

The flashing is both, the '-' and the gear numbers. Bike goes in and out of neutral, from D to S and through all the gears without any problem, just the flashing display.

Edit update: It's gone away all on its own.

Last edited:
This is a common issue for me. Turning the bike off/on seems to clear it. I have felt no ill effects while riding when it occurs. It's really more of an annoyance than anything else. I have tried clutch resets and new batteries and neither has fixed it. I asked the mechanic at my local Honda dealership about it and he said the same thing happened on his VFR and he could never figure it out; Told me not to worry about it.

I'm not concerned about it on mine, but I would still love to know why and if I could get it to stop.

This is a common issue for me. Turning the bike off/on seems to clear it. I have felt no ill effects while riding when it occurs. It's really more of an annoyance than anything else. I have tried clutch resets and new batteries and neither has fixed it. I asked the mechanic at my local Honda dealership about it and he said the same thing happened on his VFR and he could never figure it out; Told me not to worry about it.

I'm not concerned about it on mine, but I would still love to know why and if I could get it to stop.
Your bike had a DCT trouble code, probably because of the battery being bad.
It takes a few cycles for the code to go away.
The Honda gods are smiling on you. ;)

Back