• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Frunk mounted water bottle

GunNut37086

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The heat index here has often been over 100 lately, so ya gotta keep hydrated while ya ride.

My wife says I'm a drama queen for whining about having to pull over, take off my gloves, remove my helmet, dig out a bottle of water, swallow as much as I could hold, gear back up, and get back on the road, but it really is a pain in the butt when you'd rather be riding. I tried a Camelbak first, since it's the most common solution. It worked okay, but was uncomfortable after a while and got hot after the ice melted. Plus, I hate cleaning them out, especially the hoses. I had an idea of mounting something on my bike. I tried mounting my Camelbak behind me like a tailbag, but the tube wasn't long enough. Getting a longer tube means more nasty water to swallow before you get a good drink...ergo more whining and thinking.

I drink up at stops anyway, so I really only needed enough water to last between stops. I decided a 1 liter Nalgene bottle would be about the right size for the road. I'm usually ready to stop by the time it's empty anyway. After some searching around on the interweb for a ready-made solution, I gave up and picked up what I needed off of eBay. I needed a hydration tube and lids for converting a Nalgene bottle to a hydration pack (has numerous lids to fit other bottles to). This thing works great and doesn't leak. I may eventually change out the bite valve for a 90 degree Camelback bite valve, just to make it easier to use under the chin bar of my full face helmet, but it works fine now...just isn't perfect and I tend to whine about anything less than perfection, LOL. I also got a water bottle holder with molle straps for mounting. I also considered this high-speed/low-drag alternative that's much cheaper, but I wanted the zipper pocket on the other one to hold energy bars or peanuts or whatever. I had the other stuff I needed lying around the garage.

Here's the Nalgene bottle with the hydration tube:
Hydration%20tubes.jpg

Here's the botle holder with nylon webbing and mini bungee cords attached for mounting (I used a length of bicycle inner tube to keep the bungee hooks from scratching my frunk):
20160727_065014.jpg

Here's how it's mounted at the top using a mini bungee cord (this keeps the cord from compromising the frunk seal):
20160727_065558.jpg

The clips I made from 1/16" kydex using a toaster oven, a drill, and a file:
20160727_065127.jpg

The clips hang on like this to the edge of the lid (also doesn't compromise the frunk seal):
20160727_065451.jpg

20160727_065550.jpg

Here's the whole contraption mounted:
20160727_070512.jpg

20160727_070452.jpg

Before I fabricated the kydex clips I used the drain hole in the bottom of the bag to hold a knotted length of paracord loop. That served okay, but the bungee around the bottom of the frunk lid interfered with the hinge pretty bad and almost broke that little piece of plastic between the frunk and the seat that I hope we can all agree to refer as the taint from now on...you know, to keep it simple and all.

Interesting. Looks just like a camelback, talks like a camelback, walks like a camelback. But.....it isn't a camelback ???

Tips:

Blow back into the hose after taking a drink....Next one won't be nasty ;-)

A modular helmet makes everything much easier.

If you are a real wussy, you can wrap the hose in pipe insulation but if you remember to blow back, it really doesn't do much.

You can mount the camelback anyplace, the only thing you need to be able to reach is the bite valve. I mounted the camelback behind me and ran the bite valve to a key ring retractor mounted within easy reach. I've had camelbacks and water jugs mounted on racks, inside of top cases, on floorboards, you name it and usually in insulated containers. Again, the only thing I had to reach was the the handy bite valve.

Thirsty? Flip open helmet, reach for bite valve, blow back until you hear bubbles (just in case) and take a nice long cool drink. Blow back until you hear bubbles again, let go of the bite valve and it returns automatically (via the key ring retractor) to the ready position. Flip down helmet and lock.

All done at a GPS indicated 65 mph. Easy! ;-)

Don't even get me started on eating Texaco Gas Station cheese burritos at 65 mph ;-

Last edited:
I did the same thing by removing the water bladder from a Camelback pack and slipping it into a small tank tag.

Interesting. Looks just like a camelback, talks like a camelback, walks like a camelback. But.....it isn't a camelback ???

Tips:

Blow back into the hose after taking a drink....Next one won't be nasty ;-)

A modular helmet makes everything much easier.

If you are a real wussy, you can wrap the hose in pipe insulation but if you remember to blow back, it really doesn't do much.

You can mount the camelback anyplace, the only thing you need to be able to reach is the bite valve. I mounted the camelback behind me and ran the bite valve to a key ring retractor mounted within easy reach. I've had camelbacks and water jugs mounted on racks, inside of top cases, on floorboards, you name it and usually in insulated containers. Again, the only thing I had to reach was the the handy bite valve.

Thirsty? Flip open helmet, reach for bite valve, blow back until you hear bubbles (just in case) and take a nice long cool drink. Blow back until you hear bubbles again, let go of the bite valve and it returns automatically (via the key ring retractor) to the ready position. Flip down helmet and lock.

All done at a GPS indicated 65 mph. Easy! ;-)

Don't even get me started on eating Texaco Gas Station cheese burritos at 65 mph ;-

First of all...are you freaking kidding me? All this time I've been spitting the first drink or choking it down and never even thought of blow the water out of the tube! I'm overwhelmed by "DUH" right now...thanks.

Second, I want a modular helmet now, just so I can eat cheese burritos while I ride. :D

I don't have anything so fancy. I use a RAM cup holder with a water bottle. With a modular helmet, I can flip it up and drink in a matter of a few seconds while on any straight stretch of road. If I know it's going to be a hot and/or long ride, I'll put a couple water bottles in the freezer beforehand so I have cold water all day.

Tip: If you're using a smaller water bottle (16.9 oz.), use the can koozie included with your RAM cup holder to keep it upright (and insulated.)

ram_cup_holder.jpg

I have a tank bag. I bought a Wallyworld 2 L water bladder I put in it (it has the hose and bite valve). When I stop for gas, I get another cold water and add it to it. Works great in the heat to have a drink before you need it!

I don't have anything so fancy. I use a RAM cup holder with a water bottle. With a modular helmet, I can flip it up and drink in a matter of a few seconds while on any straight stretch of road. If I know it's going to be a hot and/or long ride, I'll put a couple water bottles in the freezer beforehand so I have cold water all day.

Tip: If you're using a smaller water bottle (16.9 oz.), use the can koozie included with your RAM cup holder to keep it upright (and insulated.)

View attachment 30553

WARNING**** If you use a water bottle that extends very far above the top of this cup holder be very careful how much water you fill it with... I lost my water bottle riding at nearly 80mph in rush hour traffic in St Louis. The water bottle will be top heavy and as you lean the bike it will decide to slide right out of your cup holder. My fix for this is getting a camelbak bottle and buying a camebak tube then using a rubber band on the hooks of the cup holder to secure the water bottle to the holder.

I have a 1 gallon water cooler, hose & bite valve deal, I made for long distance IBA rides but for the NC I carry a small squeeze water bottle in the frunk. It's simple and works well for me. With a modular helmet I can eat and drink in the saddle.

I have a 16 oz. sippy bottle that came with a cover and a velcro strap. It is strapped over the clutch and throttle cables and the bottom of the bottle is down in the hole above the frunk. Rides there like a champ, doesn't cause any steering problems and I can unzip cover, pull it out and grab a drink. Cost, Zero dollars as it was given to me some time back and I just found it again.

WARNING**** If you use a water bottle that extends very far above the top of this cup holder be very careful how much water you fill it with...
I have an easy peasy fix for mine, I made a safety strap using Walmart elastic stretch pony tail ties. I just looped 5 or 6 together and use the hooks molded into the ram holder. Never a problem at any speed or rough road.

image.jpg

Ray

I have an easy peasy fix for mine, I made a safety strap using Walmart elastic stretch pony tail ties. I just looped 5 or 6 together and use the hooks molded into the ram holder. Never a problem at any speed or rough road.

View attachment 30560

Ray
How do you drink from it? Just when your stopped? I was using the water bottle for shorter rides and a camelback in the tank bag for longer trips.
I try to let the camelback dry out when not riding longer distances and just use the water bottle.

Sent from my Moto X Pure using Tapatalk

How do you drink from it?
It's very easy to sip from the straw while riding (with an open face or modular helmet), just bend over a bit. Also, releasing the 'safety strap' is simple and then just lift from the holder and drink using the left hand as normal, replacing back into that holder again when finished. Cruising down interstates, I have done it both ways. Easy peasy. (Remember, I am behind a large Madstad windscreen and not bothered by the blowing wind stream.)

Ray

Last edited:
Seriously guys, if I went thirsty, I stop the bike somewhere safe and take a bottle out of frunk and drink.
My life's too precious to try a circus balancing act while bike is on the move.
Please ride safely.

No offence intended. Good ideas but intrinsically unsafe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seriously guys, if I went thirsty, I stop the bike somewhere safe and take a bottle out of frunk and drink.
My life's too precious to try a circus balancing act while bike is on the move.
Please ride safely.

No offence intended. Good ideas but intrinsically unsafe.

Absolutely no offense taken here...we're all just having a friendly conversation in my opinion. Right everyone? That in mind...

I'm not sure how hot the summer weather is where you live, but here it's 92-93 degrees F in the summer. With humidity factored in, the heat index is often over 100 degrees F.

The human body losses 39 ounces of water per hour under those conditions. Stopping every 15 minutes to drink 8 ounces of water to stave off hydration isn't realistic. Waiting to take a drink until the next stop to stay hydrated is intrinsically unsafe, because by the time you're thirsty, it's too late.

I'm not sure which hydration idea above you consider to be a life threatening circus balancing act. I'm legitimately curious to know. I'm envisioning an NC riding a wheelie at 60 mph around a curve one-handed with the rider standing on the seat while drinking Gatorade. [emoji1]

Everyday I struggle to keep sane when so many drivers (and some bicycle riders) are glued to their smart phones.

Therefore , I promised myself never to do that. Drinking while riding is and must be an exception. Your explanation about extreme high temperatures are possible but most of us do not ride in those conditions.
If you have to drink every 15 minutes, then you can carry a camel back with the tube fixed inside your helmet (like Motogp), else we are just talking fiction.

Peace.

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back