• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Gas capacity anomaly

bruceb17

Reaction score
Visit site
Would love feedback on this.

I filled up my NC700X and rode around town a few days, all the while watching the gas-used display creep up. The NC, per spec, has a 3.7 gallon tank. However, at 3.1 gallon mark, I ran out of gas. I should have had 1/2 gallon left.. Fortunately, I was within pushing distance from a gas station. From full empty, it took 3.1 gallon to fill all the way up.

What gives?

I called Honda and their rep speculated that when you fill up the bike with it tilted on its side stand, you're not able to fully fill the tank.He suggested henceforth fill up with the bike in the upright position.

I haven't had a chance to test this. I'm wondering if others found this to be true. Do y'all fill up with the bike upright to get the maximum fill-up?

Did you reset the trip odometer when you filled up so the fuel used countdown started from 0.0 at the fill up?

I have put as much as 3.6 gallons in mine on side stand. It is not designed to be filled on center stand, the NC doesn't even come with a center stand. Picture in manual shows proper fill point and is obviously not level.

Ask the Honda rep how is the safest way to hold the bike in the upright position while filling the bike that does not come with a center stand. Ask specifically how you should continue to hold the bike upright with one hand while facing away from it as you finish the transaction on the pump before the questions time out and before you're able to get the fuel cap back on. I'd really like to hear their answer.

I've put as much as 3.55 gallons in mine, on the sidestand, but the tank wasn't empty when I arrived at the station.

Sorry, I have to ask the OP what "full" means to them. Is full just when the pump shuts off, or when the fuel level is up in the tank neck and one more dribble would run it over? People define "full" in different ways.

Last edited:
The manual wouldn't be able to show a picture of a fill on the center stand because it's not standard equipment.

FWIW I normally fill mine whilst on the center stand. I ran out once and all I could put in was slightly more than 3.6 US gallons, filled to the level of the unleaded restrictor or splash back plate.

The way our tank is shaped, I would think that the difference between filling on the side stand vs center stand would be very small.

...Sorry, I have to ask the OP what "full" means to them. Is full just when the pump shuts off, or when the fuel level is up in the tank neck and one more dribble would run it over? People define "full" in different ways.

That's my best guess too, is that it could have been filled a little more.

Would love feedback on this.

I filled up my NC700X and rode around town a few days, all the while watching the gas-used display creep up. The NC, per spec, has a 3.7 gallon tank. However, at 3.1 gallon mark, I ran out of gas. I should have had 1/2 gallon left.. Fortunately, I was within pushing distance from a gas station. From full empty, it took 3.1 gallon to fill all the way up.

What gives?...

Here's another thought. What is "out of gas"? A fully dry tank? Perhaps the bike just stuttered, because it was close to running out of gas? If it's really low, it could have sloshed enough that the pickup pulled in some air, making the bike stutter or die. I've had this happen on other bikes when I start to run out of gas. They stutter and die, but I'm sometimes able to restart and drive a little ways farther.

Last edited:
i have usually pump 2.6 gallon at a time. why run the risk of running out of gas? there is a gas station almost at every corner. ( at least in my commuting area)

I'll fill up until the filler neck. That means for us Californians that I fill until the pump stops then peel the foreskin on the nozzle and fill further until the filler inside the tank. I've gone a tad over and spilled some before. But I do know that my range is about 200 miles because of my average MPG so on my '14 model it will warn me when I have .7 gallons left in the tank, that means I've used up 3 gallons. I've never ran out of gas anywhere but there's no reason why you should unless on purpose. Like the previous poster said, there's a gas station around every corner in California.

Is your average MPG usage adding up to a full gas tank? If not there may be an anomaly.

Last edited:
Most I ever put in my take was 3.353 in January, next was 3.338 in December. I never ran out of gas and always fill up on a side stand and fill up to just when gas gets just a hair (1/8 - 1/16inch??) above the metal thingy in the tank.

i have usually pump 2.6 gallon at a time. why run the risk of running out of gas? there is a gas station almost at every corner. ( at least in my commuting area)

That's me. I fill up first chance (normally within a mile or two) when it flashes low and I can only put in about 2.6 gal. If I still have a gallon left every time, good.

I fill early (anything below 1/2) if I'm heading out in the middle of nowhere.

I have no interest in giving the bike the Kramer test.

ltlbzki.jpg

I know not what the fuel used display is of which you speak, but I would say that if it said 3.1 gallons & you put in 3.1 when you ran out, that

1. It's pretty danged accurate, and

2. You could fill your tank about a half-gallon more.

I start filling on the side stand and when it gets close to the top I push the bike upright with my body while holding the left handlebar grip and finish filling it. If the air bubbles work out the amount between side stand and upright is slight. I fill my tank to full capacity each fill-up as I ride a lot of back roads that don't have gas stations. I do the same with my cruiser. Closest I have come on the NC to running out is about 1/2 gal. or not to long after the light started blinking. My cruiser has no gas gauge so you learn how many mpg you get by the speed you ride and the wind conditions. When it starves it is at the reserve level so you just switch over giving you about 30 miles before it quits running. I wish the NC had such a feature. It seems that the gauge on my bike is pretty accurate. May take a can of gas with me one day and run it dry just to check it out.

I know not what the fuel used display is of which you speak, but I would say that if it said 3.1 gallons & you put in 3.1 when you ran out, that

1. It's pretty danged accurate, and

2. You could fill your tank about a half-gallon more.

Fuel used display: I don't know what the terminology is. There is a display that resets to zero upon fill up, then counts up in 0.1 gallon increments indicating fuel consumed. On my bike, the low fuel gauge starts flashing when 2.4 gallon is consumed. So I think something is off.

I'll fill up until the filler neck. That means for us Californians that I fill until the pump stops then peel the foreskin on the nozzle and fill further until the filler inside the tank. I've gone a tad over and spilled some before. But I do know that my range is about 200 miles because of my average MPG so on my '14 model it will warn me when I have .7 gallons left in the tank, that means I've used up 3 gallons. I've never ran out of gas anywhere but there's no reason why you should unless on purpose. Like the previous poster said, there's a gas station around every corner in California.

Is your average MPG usage adding up to a full gas tank? If not there may be an anomaly.

My average MPG is 60mpg. I ran out of gas at 180 mile on the odometer, having started from a full tank. So I'm just wondering where that 0.7 gallon is. Another gentleman on this thread said that after auto shut of, he tilts his NC upright and manages to get a bit more into the tank. I'll try that next time.

I have ran out of gas so many times. It is always between 3.7 to 4 gallons that I put in, not that gas stations would ever have to price bump. That is why most times I have extra gas with me. However, I have ran out of gas in the tank and in both the extra gas tanks. Put in about 6.8 gallons when I empty all the tanks.

Fuel used display: I don't know what the terminology is. There is a display that resets to zero upon fill up, then counts up in 0.1 gallon increments indicating fuel consumed. On my bike, the low fuel gauge starts flashing when 2.4 gallon is consumed. So I think something is off.

Sounds like the tank is not as full as full can be. It should run up to at least 2.7 gallons used before going on "reserve". Try changing your filling technique. Try a tank with it topped off to the rim of the filler neck, and I mean right to the top, then see how far it counts up for fuel used.

Back