• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Has anybody tried smaller tires?

Garnet

Reaction score
Visit site
For the power and weight of our bikes, Honda has put on (in my opinion) wider than needed tires. I'm sure that it has more to do with style than handling. For the past 35+ years I have owned BMW airheads, that weigh roughly the same as the 700, have similar power and COG and in stock form have equally crappy suspension. A big difference between the models is the 110 to 120 section on the rear of the Beemer compared to 160 on the NC. I find the Beemer way more flickable and nimble "feeling" than my NC yet I don't recall any serious traction issues on the skinny tires.

Now I'm not advocating putting bicycle tires on an NC but I am very tempted to drop down to a 110 on the front and a 150 on the rear. Any one try this? Will I run into rim width problems?

Fire at will. :D

I always thought that wider tires would offer longer wear and more traction, but I m not so sure of that anymore.

Garnet, I think you'll find a lot to do with it is the NCX's massively long wheelbase and generous rake. The 700 has a longer wheelbase and greater rake than an ST1300!

The profile of a tire can be a huge change up as well, not just the width.

PS

My front tire is a 120, but the height is a bit more than stock, and the rear is a 150 width. Being knobby tires, the TKC80's introduce yet another factor of: "now this is a different feel...." into the mix, lol. It definitely makes for a more quick and twitchy turn in. ;)

Last edited:
Granted, I only owned my R100 for 6 years and 40,000 miles but there is no way I could compare the handling of the NC to an airhead /7 BMW. I sold the R100 when I bought the NC700X. In every way I can compare the handling the NC is better all around.

The choice of front rubber in a 110 section is limited pretty much to bias ply tires. What do you have in mind?

Granted, I only owned my R100 for 6 years and 40,000 miles but there is no way I could compare the handling of the NC to an airhead /7 BMW. I sold the R100 when I bought the NC700X. In every way I can compare the handling the NC is better all around.

The choice of front rubber in a 110 section is limited pretty much to bias ply tires. What do you have in mind?

I'm thinking 110/70 front and 150/70 rear Road Pilot 3s. I'd prefer RP4s but they don't make a 110 front. The Pilots throw another quirk in as some say they are slower to turn in than the Z8s.

I'm confused. :confused:

Henry Ford found out a few years ago that a narrower tire goes though sand and mud better that a wider tire. No asphalt roads in those days.

On asphalt a wider tire puts more rubber to the road for better traction. This is seen at any drag strip, and it just looks better than narrow tires.

In the rain a wider tire planes easier than a narrower tire.

The problem for adventure riders who ride both, is settling on the correct combination for how you use your motorcycle. Only you know how you use your bike, and what will work best for what you do with your bike.

Depends on type of riding you do. Street dry big tires. Wet, get tires that have good traction in wet. Gravel up hill will chew up a street tire from spinning on gravel. Grass very little traction with wide, need skinny knobys. I ended up with two bikes. one for the road, nc700x, one for forest roads,xt225. Both have oppsite tires type and width

Back