• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Has Anyone Installed a Rostra Cruise Control?

drseth

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I installed a Rostra Electronic Cruise Control unit for my Honda ST1100, and I really enjoy having it. I am tempted to install one on my NC700X, but I guess for me it is easier to modify a 22 year old MC than one a year old. It is really nice to not worry about maintaining speed while cruising down the highway, as well as not having to worry about getting speeding tickets.

On my ST1100 I used a Honda Goldwing Handlebar Cruise Control Switch, which gives it a factory look. If I do a CC install on the NCX, I am not sure if I would go that route or use the Rostra switch. I have a question: On my ST1100, I had to purchase a magnet kit to use as a speed sensor, since it doesn't have an electronic speedometer. Does the NCX have a electronic speedometer that I could tap into?

Hi,

I installed a Rostra Electronic Cruise Control unit for my Honda ST1100, and I really enjoy having it. I am tempted to install one on my NC700X, but I guess for me it is easier to modify a 22 year old MC than one a year old. It is really nice to not worry about maintaining speed while cruising down the highway, as well as not having to worry about getting speeding tickets.

On my ST1100 I used a Honda Goldwing Handlebar Cruise Control Switch, which gives it a factory look. If I do a CC install on the NCX, I am not sure if I would go that route or use the Rostra switch. I have a question: On my ST1100, I had to purchase a magnet kit to use as a speed sensor, since it doesn't have an electronic speedometer. Does the NCX have a electronic speedometer that I could tap into?

I don't know if my answer will help or hinder, sorry, but the Healtech gear position indicators HealTech Electronics Ltd. - Makers of the SpeedoHealer, GIpro, X-TRE, FI Tuner Pro, Brake Light Pro, MM5, OBD Tool can be used (on the NCX) when plugged into the diagnostic port attachment (DLC or Data Link Connector) to gather speed sensor info, so possibly that same source could be utilised for the cruise controls requirements?

DLC.jpg

I could be all wet on my understanding of how these things work though, so don't quote me if it's a fubar idea lol :eek:

Please keep us informed on this project!
A true cruise control on the NC would be so nice!!!

I installed a Rostra on my NC700X DCT. It was a lot of thinking. There is very little room to work, however it can be done. I used a 4 into 1 splitter and taped into the vs signal at the transmission. I had to make a shield out of aluminum foil and duct tape to get it to work. I mounted the control in the left hand air duct. It took about 4 days to install it. But a lot of that was trying to figure out how to get things apart.

Any chance you'd be willing to write up a review post on the install process? I'd be curious to see the placement of the components which I'm sure just figuring out takes the most time. How does it perform? I've got an Audiovox (vacuum canister based) system on my Concours and it's pretty awesome. I'd love something like that on my NCX.

I've fitted a couple of these to previous motorcycles and the hardest thing is mounting the control box in a good location and getting the cable to pull the throttle correctly. Maybe Alabama Al could post some pictures?

Because someone may follow my instructions & have a accident, then blame me, I do not want to tell anyone how to do it. But here is a short description. I used a cable thing that had a loop in one end & installed under the pull cable were it attaches to the throttle body. The control unit is installed in the left air duct and the cable goes around the steering head and back toward the front of the bike. There is very little room there when the air cleaner box in installed and you have to make sure everything clears & does not rub against anything. A shield is necessary to protect some wires. I installed the switch on the left handlebar above the grip. As for performance, it holds the speed close enough that you don't have to worry about getting a ticket. When you set it, it goes up a bit in speed, then settles down. All in all, I am happy with it. Make sure the wire from the VS is at least 10" away from the coil, or use a shielded wire. Also the unit has to be shielded along with the wire from the VS. I taped it to the bike & went for a ride trying to get it to work the way I wanted it to, then mounted it in the air duct. You will have to remove the frunk to get to the rear brake wires. It is not a hard job to do, just take your time & make sure everything is connected correctly. The most important thing is to be sure the throttle moves freely.

As for performance, it holds the speed close enough that you don't have to worry about getting a ticket. When you set it, it goes up a bit in speed, then settles down.

Would setting the dip switches in a different configuration help with this? I don't recall this being a problem when I installed it on my Vstroms.

Also where did you buy it? What control switch come with it?

There are two listed. 250-3592 or 250-3593

2503592-large.jpg

Also not sure if you know but the switch has to be taken apart and waterproofed.

Last edited:
Installing a Cruise Control on a Motorcycle is a pretty dumb idea. I don't think anyone could fault you for using your mounting locations as inspiration for their installs. The troubleshooting is on them. That's pretty much verbatim from the CC suppliers. Yes it's a risk. I think we waste too much time on liability and fault instead of taking personal responsibility.

All that said, I love lookin' at pictures of dumb ideas. Part placement is probably the most time consuming part of this process. Any chance you'd be willing to share pics of the install? I would take complete responsibility for any kind of screw up I attempted based off of pictures I found on the internet. That seems only fair, right?

I found one on ebay that a fellow bought to put on a car, then he got rid of the car before installing it. It is a 250-1223, and came with a 250-3742 switch. My NC is a DCT model. I moved the parking brake to the right and made a bracket to mount the switch on. It looks professional. I also installed a relay to operate it.

The mounting of the cable will be obvious once everything is removed so you can see how much room you have. The kit comes with a plastic nut thing that is designed to go thru a square hole in a bracket. I put it on the cable end and used a very heavy wire tie to put it were it needs to go for the throttle to work. Then made a shield to protect the wiring.

After you remove the air cleaner box & the radiator so you can see what you are doing, it will be quite obvious where the cable will need to be. I fastened mine with a black plastic thing that is designed to go into a square hole in a bracket that came with the cruise in the end of the cable & a heavy duty wire tie. I had to make a shield to protect some wires. Once that is mounted and the switch, everything else is wiring. I soldered all the wires. Look closely to the diagram and take your time. You will be ok.

As Quoted by a previous poster:
"Installing a Cruise Control on a Motorcycle is a pretty dumb idea. I don't think anyone could fault you for using your mounting locations as inspiration for their installs. The troubleshooting is on them. That's pretty much verbatim from the CC suppliers. Yes it's a risk. I think we waste too much time on liability and fault instead of taking personal responsibility.

All that said, I love lookin' at pictures of dumb ideas. Part placement is probably the most time consuming part of this process. Any chance you'd be willing to share pics of the install? I would take complete responsibility for any kind of screw up I attempted based off of pictures I found on the internet. That seems only fair, right?"

I guess you think cruise control is a pretty dumb idea on a car, also. As for myself, I use cruise control on every car I own. I haven't had a speeding ticket in years, mainly because of its use. I bet if Honda offered electronic cruise control on its street bikes, maybe a 1/3 or more would get it. Different strokes for different folks, right?

Last edited:
I guess you think cruise control is a pretty dumb idea on a car, also. As for myself, I use cruise control on every car I own. I haven't had a speeding ticket in years, mainly because of its use. I bet if Honda offered electronic cruise control on its street bikes, maybe a 1/3 or more would get it. Different strokes for different folks, right?

Who are you addressing your comments toward? I don't have a car but I always use cruise control on my vans and occasionally on my motorhome. On the motorhome, the load, available power, gearing, and other conditions make for better fuel economy if the human maintains control. The cruise is too dumb to handle all the variables.

But, my Honda Goldwing has "real" cruise control, not just a throttle lock. I use it about once a year at best. I find it so easy to sense the speed of the bike by the sound and feel, and adjust the throttle myself automatically without conscious thought. I'd love that Honda offered cruise as an option, but to me cruise just isn't necessary on the bike. I also haven't had a speeding ticket since about 1989, simply because I don't speed :p. Yep, different strokes.

Last edited:
[..It is a 250-1223, and came with a 250-3742 switch. My NC is a DCT model...]

Does the Rostra require a vacuum reservoir?

Eons ago, I installed an Audiovox on a PC800 eons ago and loved it. My present bike is an NT700V and I installed the pricey Australian MC Cruise because I wanted a "plug & play" unit and it works well. Unfortunately it can't easily be transferred to my NC700X which will come home this Sunday.

ps. I think cruise control is invaluable on long trips. :)

Installing a Cruise Control on a Motorcycle is a pretty dumb idea. I don't think anyone could fault you for using your mountiing location as for their installs. The troubleshooting is on them. That's pretty much verbatim from the CC suppliers. Yes it's a risk. I think we waste too much time on liability and fault instead of taking personal responsibility.
All that said, I love lookin' at pictures of dumb ideas. Part placement is probably the most time consuming part of this process. Any chance you'd be willing to share pics of the install? I would take complete responsibility for any kind of screw up I attempted based off of pictures I found on the internet. That seems only fair, right?

QUOTE=670cc;117245]Who are you addressing your comments toward? I don't have a car but I always use cruise control on my vans and occasionally on my motorhome. On the motorhome, the load, available power, gearing, and other conditions make for better fuel economy if the human maintains control. The cruise is too dumb to handle all the variables.

But, my Honda Goldwing has "real" cruise control, not just a throttle lock. I use it about once a year at best. I find it so easy to sense the speed of the bike by the sound and feel, and adjust the throttle myself automatically without conscious thought. I'd love that Honda offered cruise as an option, but to me cruise just isn't necessary on the bike. I also haven't had a speeding ticket since about 1989, simply because I don't speed :p. Yep, different strokes.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing this was the post that he was referring to. Cruise control may not be for everyone, but I would like to have it. That post was very condescending imho unless sarcasm was intended. Then lol

Last edited:
For some reason it is not readily apparent that the first part of turbodieseli4i6 post above is a quote. I just want to point out that he is quoting an earlier post and his comment is at the bottom. I'm not trying to stir something up here.

Thanks for clearing that up mwcogburn. My tablet wouldn't let me fix the oops. This forum doesn't work well with my tablet. I have to log off if I want to read the threads in a timely manner.

Last edited:
Hah! And here I was thinking that turbodieseli4i6 was my kinda guy only to realize after reading the last few posts that he had just quoted me. Ahh well, you can keep that like, heh.

As always, certain inflections are lost in type... There was a touch of tongue in cheek sarcasm involved in that post but I'll refrain from apologizing. I think using cruise control is great (especially if it's factory). I was referring to installing cruise control which has different implications, especially on a motorcycle. The troubleshooting phase of installing a cruise control kit on a motorcycle is probably worthy of Darwin Award considerations, especially if not thought through. That being said, it's totally worth it.

Alabama Al, did you install a kill switch for the power circuit on it? I seem to recall that was hugely advised when I was researching putting the Audiovox (vacuum chamber based) setup which I have on my Concours.

Back