• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Heated grips

JDE

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
Has anyone had any experience with these:

BikeMaster Heated Grips - -- : Amazon.com : Automotive

If s. How did they work out for you? Good, bad? They seems easy enough to install. I just can't find many reviews for them. I'm looking for some inexpensive heat for my hands as it's getting cooler during my commute and I'm looking for every reasin to keep riding instead of taking my car to work. Cost is a bit of a factor, otherwise I would spring for the Honda heated grips. Up for any suggestions.:)

I am installing a pair of these, 35.00 Shipped, I put a pair on my last CX 500 they work very well!!!

Universal Heated Grips Kit Motorcycle ATV Snowmobile | eBay

I have the grips off & am ready to wire them up!!!

Do they come with detailed instructions? I have never used heated grips before, but I have changed out the grips on my last bike. So I'm confidend that I can swap grip for grip. How do those work with the existing grips?

yes here are the instructions, pretty straight forward, they are basicly window defroster's that stick to the bars. I am running from the fuse box so they are only on when the keys on. send me a note if you need help

Gary

wiring-102.jpg

Seems simple enough. Do you have to glue the clutch side grip to the heating element when re-installed? Or does the increase in diameter of the bar end now with the heater installed make for a tight enough fit that you don't need to glue it into place? For the throttle side it just goes under the throttle grip and still allows it to twist freely?

Thanks for post the instructions. I've seen these type of heaters out there but don't know much about them.

I picked up the Trackside heated grips from Cyclegear when I got their handguards. They all look to be quality built. comes with control, too, which is a plus. I think it has a sale going on because I only paid $39.99 at check out (50% off). I am planning on installing it in the next few weeks before weather really turns south.

TRACKSIDE Street Gear - Deluxe Heated Grips - Cycle Gear

Yes you would glue both grips to the heating elements, I use hairspray, just get yourself a cheap aerosol can of hairspray when wet it acts as a lubricant when dry it is glue.

I've been pondering whether to get heated grips/handguards or possibly heated gloves. Seems to me there's an efficiency argument for having the heat inside the glove where it's needed, rather than pumping all that battery power through the grips; bearing in mind they've got to be hot enough to penetrate through winter gloves too! I saw these battery operated heated gloves. Haven't bought a pair so can't comment on how good they are; but they claim the rechargeable batteries are good for a couple of hundred re-charges I think.
Another question that occurred to me was about the value of handguards; which I guess are intended to reduce windchill. But surely there is no wind penetration through a waterproof/windproof winter glove? Any physicists out there with some wisdom to share on the windchill effect?

Weise® Motorcycle Clothing - Montana Element Glove

I've been pondering whether to get heated grips/handguards or possibly heated gloves. Seems to me there's an efficiency argument for having the heat inside the glove where it's needed, rather than pumping all that battery power through the grips; bearing in mind they've got to be hot enough to penetrate through winter gloves too! I saw these battery operated heated gloves. Haven't bought a pair so can't comment on how good they are; but they claim the rechargeable batteries are good for a couple of hundred re-charges I think.
Another question that occurred to me was about the value of handguards; which I guess are intended to reduce windchill. But surely there is no wind penetration through a waterproof/windproof winter glove? Any physicists out there with some wisdom to share on the windchill effect?

Weise® Motorcycle Clothing - Montana Element Glove

Chris,

I think heated gloves and heated grips are good for different situations. If you are going on a long cold ride, the gloves are the ticket. If you are riding home late one night (or early in the morning, or in the rain) and you get chilled, just bump on the grip heaters. You would not be trying to conduct the heat of the grips through winter gloves. And by the way, there are gloves designed for use with heated grips that are heavily insulated on the back but not the palms.

I use heated seats the same way. On a long cold ride, I am in heated clothing and do not use the heated seat, but at times when it just turns a bit cooler than I am dressed for, it is nice to flip on the seat heater and get a dose of warmth. It does not replace heated clothing just as grip heaters do not. But you will find them useful in many situations where you might not even have the heated gear with you and didn't expect to need it.

Thanks for that Beemerphile, and greetings from across the pond! I guess my main aim at the moment is to prioritise expenditure, gloves being cheaper than heated grips. Sounds like you have all options available to you! Though I'm surprised it gets that cold in Georgia. Do you have handguards too? I commute through the (English) winter, but only a short distance of around 5 miles. I was in my local dealer on saturday and noticed several parked bikes were equipped with hand guards. If I believed they would make a noticeable difference, I would probably get them rather than heated gloves. I'm just not convinced they would work without heated grips/gloves as well.

Chris,

I think heated gloves and heated grips are good for different situations. If you are going on a long cold ride, the gloves are the ticket. If you are riding home late one night (or early in the morning, or in the rain) and you get chilled, just bump on the grip heaters. You would not be trying to conduct the heat of the grips through winter gloves. And by the way, there are gloves designed for use with heated grips that are heavily insulated on the back but not the palms.

I use heated seats the same way. On a long cold ride, I am in heated clothing and do not use the heated seat, but at times when it just turns a bit cooler than I am dressed for, it is nice to flip on the seat heater and get a dose of warmth. It does not replace heated clothing just as grip heaters do not. But you will find them useful in many situations where you might not even have the heated gear with you and didn't expect to need it.

Interesting point on heated grip vs. heated glove. It would make sense that in long winter riding, the heated grip would be less effective since the rider can't feel the heat with insulated gloves.... A heated liner would be much more effective.

Now I have to rethink my winter riding strategy...

Thanks for that Beemerphile, and greetings from across the pond! I guess my main aim at the moment is to prioritise expenditure, gloves being cheaper than heated grips. Sounds like you have all options available to you! Though I'm surprised it gets that cold in Georgia. Do you have handguards too? I commute through the (English) winter, but only a short distance of around 5 miles. I was in my local dealer on saturday and noticed several parked bikes were equipped with hand guards. If I believed they would make a noticeable difference, I would probably get them rather than heated gloves. I'm just not convinced they would work without heated grips/gloves as well.

I have handguards, heated grips and heated gloves. My mother says I was never very good at choosing between alternatives. If I could only have one, I would go with handguards and good winter gloves. I don't think you need heated gloves for a 5 mile commute. I also don't consider heated grips a "cold weather" solution, by which I mean "really" cold. I consider them a "cool weather" convenience. There are many good unheated winter gloves that can serve you well for short to moderate distances. The best are mittens or "three finger" gloves with separate thermal liners. I have some Outdoor Research Pro mountaineering mittens that are insanely warm. I don't mind hooking up an electric jacket, but I try to avoid resorting to wired gloves and socks. I'm just lazy. Now, if I am going on an 8 hour ride in freezing temperatures, nothing could be finer.

Oh, and yes, Georgia gets that cold, but not for so long. Also, I travel outside my home area quite frequently.

As a fellow born and raised in Northern Canada, it's almost my spiritual and patriotic duty to scoff at most temperatures being referred to as "cold", unless you can die within a few minutes, lol.:rolleyes:

But truthfully as an aging defector to the balmy non-winters of southern coastal BC, I have wimped out and lost all my gumption for such dastardly weather figures much below minus 10 now.:eek: :shame:

Heated grips on my BMW were...intoxicating. Who knew?! Discovering what everybody else who had them were always raving about, I developed an instant addiction. Immediately went out and got heated grip elements for my other bikes.

Despite this new found awesomeness though, my thin skinned old self was still having painfully cold fingers when arriving at work in the below freezing temps, on my 5AM commute in the dead of winter.

Handlebar wind shielding deflectors were out on some (sportbike) of them, and I never developed a willingness to put such things on my beemer before I got rid of it (I didn't commute on it either, so...) and between mediocre charging outputs and/or the one last hurdle to overcome-the scaredycat-ness of wired in heated gloves/gear, I vowed to try the combo of battery heated gloves and heated grips one day.

I just spent a veritable fortune on some battery powered gloves, and together with heated grips, this year I will see if I just dumped the price of a month's motorcycle loan payment down the toilet, or not.

Now watch it be the warmest winter on record up here, lol. (If that was the price to pay though, I'd do it again, heehee)

I'll complicate your choices now with a third option that will work with either of the other two. Handlebar muffs.

I first saw them in a parking lot at work on a large cruiser bike. I thought they looked ugly. But I had to admit the owner of those muffs was probably more serious about riding in bad weather than I was. At the time my commute was 20 minutes each way and you can take just about anything for that long. By the time I was getting cold, I was at work and walking inside.

When my commute time tripled, I had to solve some issues to make it work. One of the last was to keep the hands warm. Handguards did little, though I tried to convince myself (and therefore my wife) that I had made the right choice. But I still had cold hands. And they did nothing for keeping rain off the hands.

I finally decided to give the handlebar muffs a try. They worked. Fasten them so no cold air comes in from the attachment place on the handlebars. I did the expedient fix of using duct tape to make sure they didn't leak air. If you can keep the air still inside them, you have a nice warm (comparatively) place to put your hands. And it is dry. If you commute in rain, your hands will stay dry.

It's one of those solutions that doesn't look cool...but works. It works so well, I've used them for the last 3 or 4 winters. They go on in October and come off about late April/early May. And if you pair them up with heated handlebar grips, you have a wonderful combination to endure just about anything for cold wet riding weather. BTW, some winter gloves come with more insulation in the back of the hand than in the palm so heated grips work with them.

Chris

mmm. I always thought that heated grips were for girls! I Bought my first BMW K1200s. Came standard with heated grips. WOW Fantastic. Since then i have had a few other bikes, and I installed oxford heated grips. Not quite as good as std BMW heated grips but well worth the time and money to install. The instructions tell you to take the power straight from the battery. I put a relay in and took it from acc. point in the fuse box similar to Vfore so i did not have to worry about turning them off or flattening the battery. This bike I will put a set of bark busters on first. We are just coming into summer. I will look at a set of heated grips before winter.

Last edited:
mmm. I always thought that heated grips were for girls! I Bought my first BMW K1200s. Came standard with heated grips. WOW Fantastic. Since then i have had a few other bikes, and I installed oxford heated grips. Not quite as good as std BMW heated grips but well worth the time and money to install. The instructions tell you to take the power straight from the battery. I put a relay in and took it from acc. point in the fuse box similar to Vfore so i did not have to worry about turning them off or flattening the battery. This bike I will put a set of bark busters on first. We are just coming into summer. I will look at a set of heated grips before winter.

Funny, I said the same thing about heated seats. Now I love them!

Back