• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hello from sunny Michigan!

OneGun

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone. After much consideration, I finally purchased my first ever road bike... a 2012 nc200x (obviously). I signed the papers today and it will be delivered Friday. I have really no experience riding except for a few weeks of riding a dirt bike, so I'm really new, really green, and going to be taking it really easy and slow for a while. I've got quite a bit of experience riding quads, but that's altogether different.

In any case, I'm looking forward to getting out and hitting the road. I'll probably just be creeping around some low traffic roads for a while then slowly begin hitting the highways during off-peak hours.

So wish me luck and if I say/do something stupid, please let me know.

Thanks and damn glad to be here!

P.S. Michigan has been cold/bleak and wet for days now... it actually snowed today. WTF.

Hi from the UK. welcome to the forum and the world of motorcycling. As a new rider maybe "hitting the road" may not have been the best choice of words :)
A word of warning motorcycling can become addictive and hazzardous to your wealth.
Enjoy the NC in safety and we look forward to hearing of your experiances. Some photos would be nice as well

Welcome from Ottawa and Congratulations. Hope to see you soon on the road later this summer. Enjoy!!!

Welcome from sunny San Leon, Texas. There are many highly experienced riders on this forum so feel welcome to ask anything. If we don't know an answer, we'll guess. Or lie.

Greetings and welcome from West Virginia! Formerly from Michigan, I was raised in Detroit but scrammed when I was old enough and moved to White Lake Township, just west of Pontiac. It would benefit you greatly to enroll in a beginner's motorcycle safety class. The instructors can give you a head's up on two wheel dynamics, where to ride in traffic, how to counter steer, do slow maneuvering, etc. It will definitely be better than learning from friends or on your own. Hope you enjoy the bike!

Welcome!

If you come from riding quads you will need to unlearn that and learn two wheel dynamics. You steer opposite to initiate turns on two wheels vs three or four. I come from a long history of two wheelers, and I freak out on a quad, trike, Spyder, etc. because I first try to countersteer them and then have to correct that error.

Anyway, get some proper motorcycle training, proper riding gear, and be careful out there.

Greg

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Michigander! The MSF safety course is a must for everyone nowadays. Whereabouts do you live in the Mitten? I live in the thumb area. My wife and son just took the 3 day safety course at Macomb Community College and learned a ton!

Welcome from Oregon. As one who is getting back into riding after nearly 40 years away I too am taking it easy as I get more comfortable. However, I have found the NC an easy bike to get comfortable with. Took my DMV motorcycle skills test on it and passed with no problem whatsoever.

Welcome to the NC700 family from Utah.

We're also getting snow tomorrow and Tuesday, warming up after that.

Happy riding! He MSF courses are fantastic, and additionally find a big empty car park somewhere and take some time to practice really low speed manoevering. Get comfortable with that and a lot of the other normal riding stuff falls into place.

Hello from Arizona. I too came from off-road riding. I didn't find the change too difficult. I did take a training course though, and got my endorsement. It was very worthwhile, just to start thinking about all the dangers found riding streets. Hope the weather lets you start riding more. Be safe.

Thanks guys for the very warm welcome and kind/wise words. For those who asked, I live in Howell MI (about 20 minutes north of Ann Arbor). I agree that taking the MSF is wise. I'm already signed up. Mine is July 12th (1 weekend course). Until then, I'm going to pick up some good gear, begin riding in low traffic areas very cautiously, and do as much research as I can to make sure this is a safe activity. Of course, no amount of reading substitues experience and/or training, but during times when I can't ride, I want to read up on how to do this right... and what to avoid.

Perhaps some people from here would like to meet up and do a ride some time this summer. Just a thought to chew on.

Thanks again so much... everyone!

Back