• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Help with DIY paint job

Convict1997

Reaction score
Visit site
Decided to repainted my 2012. The silver never really did it for me. I've never painted before and I'm working on a budget. Planning to shoot with the Duplicolor Paint Shop paint. Got a few questions before I get started.

1. Duplicolor has an adhesion promoter available in an aerosol can. Their documentation states this can be used as a primer instead of an actual primer. Has anyone used this in place of primer?

2. The new paint is lacquer and I assume the factory paint is enamel. My understanding is lacquer cannot be sprayed over enamel so all the old paint will need to come off. I don't like the idea of trying to sand everything down to the plastic. Could I use this: SEM Urethane Bumper Stripper

3. Can anyone confirm that the factory paint is enamel?

The main reason for using the Duplicolor is because I got a quart of paint, primer, and clear for $55. If anyone has any recommendations for a better option of paint that isn't going to completely blow the budget, I'm open for suggestions.

I repainted my 2012 using automotive paint from automotivetouchup.com. I don't know if it's any better or worse than Duplicolor. The clear coat was USC Spray Max 2K two part paint. It comes in a special spray can that allows you to mix the activator when you're ready to paint. It's expensive.

I would recommend using the adhesion promoter after first lightly sanding and properly cleaning the body parts. There is no need to strip them. The paints "should" be compatible. Be sure to follow any instructions on timing of the coats. The worst thing you can do is recoat a piece after it initially sets but before it fully cures. If you do that the new coat will soften the paint and cause it to crack and wrinkle, resulting in the need to start all over again.

I painted my grey NC orange myself. A second grey NC I bought I had painted green professionally due to lack of time on my part. The painter used the adhesion promoter and he did not strip the old paint.

I agree the grey stock paint isn't very exciting. I hated it. However it's quite popular, judging from what cars you see on the road today.

Last edited:
Did you add any kind of flex agent to the paint?

No flex agent added. I even had a harbor freight cargo trailer box painted by the same professional to match my Goldwing, and the plastic is more flexible than the motorcycle panels. The painter said it wasn't necessary for that, let alone for the NC pieces. I don't think the NC parts flex much at all.

Lol. You didn't see me trying to get mine off. That's one good thing about cruisers. I could have the tank off in five minutes. Actually had to drain a tank full of diesel on the side of the road once. Delayed the trip by about 30 min. Would take me that long just to pull up the instructions on my phone for the NC.

Moving kind of slow on this. Got all the parts scuffed up today. Really wanted to start getting some paint sprayed but had to slow myself down a little bit. Impatience and paint jobs do not mix. I need to get a few things together so I can get it all done at once, rather than spray a few pieces and then start over with a few more. Went to lowes and picked up some 3/4" PVC to build a rack to hang all the parts from. It's six feet tall and 8 feet long. Should be enough space to hang each piece side by side without having them swing around and hit each other. Plans after work tomorrow are to go over each piece and make sure I didn't miss any spots and then hang and degrease. Next day, go over everything with a tack cloth and then hopefully start spraying. I'll post pics along the way. Considering painting under a canopy on the back deck with the sides wrapped in plastic. Kind of a half assed paint booth. Might just say screw the "booth". Never painted anything before so I'm thinking 50/50 that it'll turn out looking like crap.

One of biggest problems with paint jobs is controlling dust that settles on the parts and causes little nubbies in the paint. You got it right with the tack cloth but I would do everything possible to keep the environment clean. In reality it would probably help if you painted in the nude to keep clothing lint off the parts. Just kidding, but there is some truth to that.

The paint I used required many coats of the base color in quick succession, followed by the clear. Make sure you have time or daylight to finish. If you stop for some reason, you make have to wait days, depending on the temperature, before you can re-clean and resume. For example, if I spray a coat, then wait 10 minutes and recoat, I was fine. If I wait, say, 6 hours between coats, the paint job will be ruined when re-sprayed. Refer to the directions for the paint you're using.

Leaning towards doing the canopy wrapped in plastic. Never painted with a gun before and never a project this large. I suspect my inexperience will probably help with making a less than stellar finished product but, I'd hate for everything to come together and it get screwed up just because I was lazy and got dust in the finish. Might take the time to wrap the canopy and make a "paint booth". Plastic on the floor and sides. Most the inside with water. Move the racks in and start spraying. Got the racks done and the parts mounted tonight. might paint tomorrow if it s not raining. This is where I'm at right now:

1zvy4np.jpg

Back