• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Help with heated grips troubleshoot

kumatae

Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally got around installing my subharness which means wiring my heated grips from bikemaster. It's the one without LCD controls. I plugged everything and the grips don't work. I see no lights on the control module. So I work backwards and grab my multimeter. I check for power from harness, check. I check power at the plug of my heated grips, double check. But after I plug them in, nada. Is there anyway to check the control module which I am assuming is at fault? I bought it from amazon and still have end of feb to return it but I just feel bad because returning them means destroying the actual grips cause they're on pretty dang tight. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be able to check for voltage out of the controller to the grips.
The only other generic thing to double check is the ground connections.

I don't know about Bikemaster, but some grips shut down below a certain battery voltage to preserve battery power. Was you test done with the engine running?

I don't know about Bikemaster, but some grips shut down below a certain battery voltage to preserve battery power. Was you test done with the engine running?

Yes, test was done with engine running. But just to make sure I'll put the battery tender today. I commute daily so I just assume that battery is fully charged.

I guess another test is connect it directly to the battery and see if that works as well.

You need to connect your ammeter (part of your multimeter) and see if there is an electric current. Measuring only voltage might be not enough.

You need to connect your ammeter (part of your multimeter) and see if there is an electric current. Measuring only voltage might be not enough.

So far in this case voltage reading are sufficient. Not possible to have current flow without a available voltage......so checking the voltage is good for the moment.

Okay. Was about to go out and check. I verified that I got 12v on each of the plugs from the harness. But when I connect an accessory, it doesn't work. I just tested with led lights and no go there either. It might be that I flipped the polarity on wiring. Don't have time so right now I just have the battery on the tender.

Quick update. The LED lights do work. I flipped the wires. I can't figure this out. More and more I think it's the temperature control module not working. Returning it would be a pain cause I threw the original grips away which means I got no grips! My last attempt is going to be connecting it straight to the battery and if that doesn't work, I'm going to return them and go oxford.

...Not possible to have current flow without a available voltage.....

Of course you can have voltage or, more accurately, electric potential difference on energy source side and no electric current flow through load when circuit is disconnected.
That is why you need to connect your ammeter, especially when access to the circuit is difficult.

When voltage is apparent but disappears when a load is applied, a prime suspect is a resistive ground connection. Be sure any ground connections are not to painted or corroded surfaces.

You mentioned installing your subharness, but did not mention the required relay. Did you also install the option relay?

When voltage is apparent but disappears when a load is applied, a prime suspect is a resistive ground connection. Be sure any ground connections are not to painted or corroded surfaces.

You mentioned installing your subharness, but did not mention the required relay. Did you also install the option relay?

Yes relay and fuse installed. I'm connecting the same exact way I'm connecting the led lights so I don't think it's the ground.

As a process of problem elimination you should check a resistance of each heater.
What is a total power rating - 60 W, 80 W? Whatever it is divide 144 by this value of Watts ((144/60=2.4) x 2 = 4.8 Ohms). If resistance of each grip heater is 3.5-6 Ohms, they are OK.
Also make sure that heaters are well insulated from handlebar.
Controller might be broken. Maybe you can talk to manufacturer to give you module replacement?

I emailed bikemaster and wasn't expecting much but they responded promptly and is sending me a new controller unit. So I hope that will resolve my issue.

Is this a controller which came with your grip heaters?
I see it has self-test function on start. This is fairly simple step up/down voltage regulator and mostly reliable.

View attachment 32372

Yup that's my controller. I can't get the led lights to light up. That's the first thing bikemaster asked me.

Another update. I rode to work today and what do you know, heated grips work! But the controller is still not functioning properly because there's no LED indicator so I have no clue what level it is.

Correct polarity is a key for step regulator to function. Check it again with DC voltmeter and not with led light.

Correct polarity is a key for step regulator to function. Check it again with DC voltmeter and not with led light.

I installed new temperature controller and what do you know? Still no led indicator light on the controller!! I can feel it working but it's useless not knowing what level it is. I'm dumbfounded as to what could cause it to make everything work except for the LED light indicator???

I installed new temperature controller and what do you know? Still no led indicator light on the controller!! I can feel it working but it's useless not knowing what level it is. I'm dumbfounded as to what could cause it to make everything work except for the LED light indicator???

Did you try to connect temporarily directly to battery?
Did you check resistance of heaters and resistance between heaters connectors and the ground? What is it?

Back