• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Highway Tire Search

johnparker903

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally hit the steel bands on my front tire only...with about 8500 on the odometer.

the rear tire is ok for now, no steel bands but it is pretty flat in the middle, not that its bad... ill get a new rear tire for when that goes, but only replacing the front ASAP.

i guess im looking for a hard compound because i drive about 95% highway and that other 5% getting to the highway to go to work. am i wrong thinking that way??

would it be a bad idea to get something cheaper but still good quality like the Shinko 005 or go with something more expensive and good quality like a Pilot Road 3 or 4??? I know "you get what you pay for" but ive read really good reviews on the 005s. not that im heart set on those, just did a quick search and those came up.

Last edited:
i agree...i just noticed it today. i definitely would not have rode to work with it on because its about 1.5 hour away so to be stuck there would have sucked. i babied it on the way home and just prayed it didnt blow out.

I wont be riding it again until i replace the tire.

any tire suggestions?

I finally hit the steel bands on my front tire only...with about 8500 on the odometer.

i guess im looking for a hard compound because i drive about 95% highway and that other 5% getting to the highway to go to work. am i wrong thinking that way??

would it be a bad idea to get something cheaper but still good quality like the Shinko 005 or go with something more expensive and good quality like a Pilot Road 3 or 4??? I know "you get what you pay for" but ive read really good reviews on the 005s. not that im heart set on those, just did a quick search and those came up.

I will be getting the Bridgestone Battleax BT023's when NaNCy needs tires, see below.

img_battlax_17.gif

img_battlax_11.jpg

I've been running these on my ST1300 for many years now. The rear to front wear ratio is about 3:1. The dual compounds make for a long wearing tire. They're also a great Sport Touring Tire and pretty well suited for duty on the NC700's used for mostly highway riding. Go with the "GT" version for sure!!! :)

I am approaching the same dilemma very shortly (although my tire is not quite that worn in the front, the back is getting flat). Since I ride to work every day and depend on it, I was thinking of going for the best I can afford. In this case it might be the PR4s but I still have quite a bit of research to do.

I remember some old-time rider years ago telling me "There's two things you never try to save too much money on..... tires and helmets".

I like my PR4s. 3K and not much wear showing. My commute is too much highway and the BTs started flattening out. But not that bad.

I see your left side is worn more than the right. I heard someplace that the left side usually wears more because no matter where you go (in the states), left turns are always longer than rights. Any comments?

id say its about half and half for me but i think the big thing is that the left turns are more sweeping so i can round them with more speed compared to the righties.

those motions have great reviews

Almost, every time I saw a tire wore down to the threads it belonged to a doctor or an attorney. They usually had been divorced a few times, and could not get a loan to buy the time of day. Their bikes were always in worse shape than the tires. Seems these smart fellows seem to always out smart themselves.

Roads are crowned so in the USA the tire wears a little more left of center. The OP has high wear farther out toward the edge so he must take longer, maybe faster left turns than rights.

I'll only comment on what I've had on this bike. It came with the BT-023s. They barely made it over 8K. I'm currently sitting at 7,800 miles on a set of PR-4s. The rear tire is starting to get a flat spot but nowhere near needing changed. It will definitely make it to 10K. That is 2K more than the BR-023s. I primarily commute on flat interstate so very similar to your situation. I've been riding the exact same road with both the BT-023s and the PR4s. In my opinion the PR4 is a much better tire. It handles great on wet roads. I can't speak for any other tires because these are the only two I've had on the NCX.

Conti Motion Pros... when I went to my local mom/pop shop to order them, he couldn't believe the low price on them (never ordered them before). 6000+ miles on them so far and holding up good. Going on a 2000+ mile bike ride labor day week, mostly interstate (planning on a 1000 butt burner ride going down to Florida), will see how they are when I get back.

I just bit the bullet and ordered a Pirelli Angel GT. I got 11k miles out of Michelin Pilot Road 3's, and I've got right at 7k miles on Road 4's mounted now.

14853076232_107edb0b75_b.jpg

They're wearing about like the Road 3's, I expect to get about 10-12k out of them. BUT, I've got a 4k mile trip planned at the end of the month and I don't want to deal with them on the trip.

No complaints with the PR3 or PR4, but after a couple pairs of PR2 and one PR3 on my Bandit, then straight to PR3 and PR4 on the NC, I haven't bought a non-Michelin tire in forever, thought I'd try something different. I'll start a thread to track the wear once I get them on.

ALLLLMOST went with the Conti Motions because they're sooo cheap. Maybe next time!

trey

Back