• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Quality? maybe maybe not

So finally got my GPS on the bike to test that weirdness which I coulda swore was occuring at 75mphs and I was right. At 74mph my gps indicated 1mph off. accelerating lightly through the 75mph zone I got to 81 before it read 76 on my speedo (AH HA i'm not crazy!) as I proceeded it continued to get more off as I went at 91mph GPS registered speed I was reading 82 MPH on my dash time to send a shout out to the dealer and see what they say. Now at thoughs speeds I need to be carefull anyways but dang 10 mphs could mean making a corner and not.

The speed sensor is on top of the transmission case. I suspect it is a Hall Effect transistor type pickup. It is triggered by the teeth on the left most gear on the transmission input shaft. It seems either the sensor is flaky or the instrument panel is having trouble tracking the signal at higher speeds.

Update took it to the dealer so he could verify the issue and did, but the tech seemed less then interested at all but said he would submit a email to honda and see what they wanted to do, my hopes aren't high ....

Update took it to the dealer so he could verify the issue and did, but the tech seemed less then interested at all but said he would submit a email to honda and see what they wanted to do, my hopes aren't high ....

If the problem was verified by the dealer then you're half way there. Stay on them until it's fixed. No need to put up with a defect like that on a bike that's in warranty.

Update So I had never heard back from the dealer or honda and its geting worse as far as I can tell. I have found an additional issue with my bike which some of you may be experiencing which could explain why some of use have very random MPG numbers. Referring to getting low mpg and then high and i'm riding the same roads and riding style. So me and my brother went for a ride up north in some curvys and a large loop back home. I filled up at home and reset my trip 1 as I always do. Rode the whole afternoon and returned home apon arriving in town I find i'm on low fuel and fill up. 35 mpgs roughly and only clocked 84 miles on trip 1....what the. I ask my brother how many miles have we rode today he clicks his trip up 144 well thats why my mpg is horrid some times, it seems every other tank i'm in the 40-50 and the next 63 or so. Today I go out reset my trip 1 and take a picture of trip 1 and Odo, after the trip ODO reads 142 miles and the trip 1 is only 113.6. At least i'm starting to get some proof, you may want to check your odos against you trips as well

Update So I had never heard back from the dealer or honda and its geting worse as far as I can tell. I have found an additional issue with my bike which some of you may be experiencing which could explain why some of use have very random MPG numbers. Referring to getting low mpg and then high and i'm riding the same roads and riding style. So me and my brother went for a ride up north in some curvys and a large loop back home. I filled up at home and reset my trip 1 as I always do. Rode the whole afternoon and returned home apon arriving in town I find i'm on low fuel and fill up. 35 mpgs roughly and only clocked 84 miles on trip 1....what the. I ask my brother how many miles have we rode today he clicks his trip up 144 well thats why my mpg is horrid some times, it seems every other tank i'm in the 40-50 and the next 63 or so. Today I go out reset my trip 1 and take a picture of trip 1 and Odo, after the trip ODO reads 142 miles and the trip 1 is only 113.6. At least i'm starting to get some proof, you may want to check your odos against you trips as well

Why are you waiting on them? Don't be so passive. You want it fixed or not? I would call them every day and visit once a week until they put in a new speed sensor. The squeaking wheel gets the grease.

Ask for the regional Honda rep and call him , then his boss, then his boss too!

I have the transmission issue, where I change from 4-5, there is a ghost neutral, accompanied with a crunch. Happens about twice a week if I am not careful. I've been skipping 5th altogether and go from 4th to 6th with one clutch pull. It's really annoying, but at 20k miles and 1.5 years from purchase, there is nothing else we can do.

I have the transmission issue, where I change from 4-5, there is a ghost neutral, accompanied with a crunch. Happens about twice a week if I am not careful. I've been skipping 5th altogether and go from 4th to 6th with one clutch pull. It's really annoying, but at 20k miles and 1.5 years from purchase, there is nothing else we can do.

i know exactly what you are talking about. had it twice. you flip the gear up,revving the engine up,but nothing happens. then-bam! huge,loud clunk,that almost cause me losing the control of the bike.
looking into transmission thread-people seems happy with a manual tranny,but my experience is a bit different. vastly different from all bikes that i owned before. i just can't make it work smoothly. specially from first to second gear. no matter what i do there is always either clunk or jerk or both.

Wow surprising!

To Anyone that is having troubles, do you do your own oil changes?

What Oil are you using?

To poster with the Slipping trans/Clutch, what OIL are you using, some of the Energy Conserving Oils will cause your trans/Clutch to SLIP!!

My NC700X has one of the smoothest and best shifting manual transmissions I have had, and i have had a lot of bikes, my NC7X transmission is as smooth to much smoother than any of the many Goldwings, I have, or have had.

No matter how hard i try, I have not been able to get any lower than 68MPG on lousy 10% corn gas. but after break in got 82MPG, and average about 80MPG from tank to tank.

To bad to hear some of you guys having troubles.

Last edited:
Anyone with manual tranny shifting problems should make sure they have adjusted the shift lever to match their riding ergos and boots. Having a misadjusted lever can make for missed shifts.

Last edited:
Pro honda hp4s full synthetic. Can't get any better than that
Switching to full synthetic made huge difference on my previous honda bike. Didn't work on this one. As I said-no matter what I try-i can't get smooth shift from first to second. Numerous adjustments of gear shift or wwhatever it's called included. I don't mind to open up the transmission during the winter (worked on cars a/t transmissions in the past) but I don't have the manual and have no idea what should I look for inside.

Last edited:
I find my gearshifts almost perfect...but if I do a`slow` change it can get notchy..fast changes seem to mean the gears are all sped up ready to slot in ? and are always super smooth..also I am assuming you let of the gas a bit changing up and keeping it up a bit changing down ...hope this helps...doing this (though don't really like doing it ) you can get smooth clutchless changes. I use cheep motul 5000 25 quid inc filter from the auction site and a litre left over for the little cbf

Anyone with manual tranny shifting problems should make sure they have adjusted the shift lever to match their riding ergos and boots. Having a misadjusted lever can make for missed shifts.

+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^

I would add.......clean and lube the shifter linkage and shift lever bushing.

Last edited by a moderator:
+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^

I would add.......clean and lube the shifter linkage and shift lever bushing.

Thank you! i'll try that. as i said- that 'ghost' neutral thing happens to me twice. not a big deal at the moment. i'm only having problems shifting from first to second. rest of them are super smooth.

To the OP, I'm sure you're aware of the problem by now, but the trip meters don't work on the '14 models. As you saw for yourself and as I noticed the very first day I took delivery of mine. I have also experienced ghost neutrals actually one today from 5-6 then N. Had to clutch shift up again. I will adjust my shift lever, but my 600RR never has had a problem and shifts smooth as silk. It does have 17500 miles however and the NC only 5500 so maybe with time?....Generally speaking the bike was cheap and it sure feels that way. I also live on the highway 70-80 MPH and my mpg's are "outliers" as someone put it but I've decided not to sacrifice time or any semblance of fun for the sake of literally $1.

Last edited:
Back