• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

hope it was the right call

newride

Reaction score
Visit site
did not need yet another ride but elected to purchase a left over 2012 nc700x. a few places discounted them to $5,499 and at that price point it was hard...at least for me...to say no.

Never rode one yet and have only read a few things such as low top end rpm (6,000), best to short shift at 3,500 to 4000k and the brakes (non-abs model) are not the best in the land nor suspension when ridden really hard/fast.

even with all that the rest of the bike was of interest to me at my young age of mid 50's and the higher mpg did not hurt the equation either.

presently I will have the dealer install the honda center stand though have a nice givi trunk so will see if givi has a rear mounting rack system for this model. only other thing of interest might be the font accent pipe though thinking that is just to allow led fog light kit to be mounted so not certain if I that is worth the money honda wants for it. I get 10% off parts for first order. maybe 12v dc socket kit would be worth it.

open to suggestions for after market engine guard and windscreen since honda taller screen might not be enough for my 5'10" frame. Should have it up at the bmw ga rally first weekend of next month and purchased it from tocca honda dealer in georgia,last one they had. hope that was ok to mention.

Ride safe everyone

Last edited:
awesome deal, congrats! And welcome from Utah.

Givi does have a model specific rack for the bike, and there's also a SW Motech rear rack that's Givi compatible.

Accent pipe? I'm guessing you're refering to the Lighting Bar. Yes, it's just somewhere to hang aux lights, and there are other places they can go.

Steve

$5500 is a crazy good price.................you stole it.

No worries on the rpm the beauty of the NC is the engine has a wide useable torque range from 2000-6000.............

The brake concern by others are totally bogus (IMHO) there several threads with brake test specs that show the NC can stop with most every bike in the class. Two and three finger front brake application is more than enough chirp the front tire.

It is interesting the NC concept was to bring in new young riders.............think the average age might be close to 40 something...........?????

$5500 is a crazy good price.................you stole it.

No worries on the rpm the beauty of the NC is the engine has a wide useable torque range from 2000-6000.............

The brake concern by others are totally bogus (IMHO) there several threads with brake test specs that show the NC can stop with most every bike in the class. Two and three finger front brake application is more than enough chirp the front tire.

It is interesting the NC concept was to bring in new young riders.............think the average age might be close to 40 something...........?????

Absolutely agree about the brakes.

New young riders? I agree, average age of an NC buyer is well up there, myself included. More re-entry riders than new riders buying them I suspect.

Great deal on the bike! Good for you.

10% off accessories is nothing to write home about. 20-25% off can be found online with no tax and free shipping.

Ditto on the brakes thing. It was a totally bogus media generated rumor, or a rumor started by those who had never even ridden the NC. That should have been put to bed when real life test results proved it to be false.

Welcome to the forum!

Greg

thank you everyone, great to hear I did sort of good :)
yes, I recall having read the stopping distance was indeed acceptable with the standard brakes on that bike as well now that I think a moment. did ordere that SW Motech rear rack and givi plate so good on that score I feel. twisted throttle may charge a bit more at times but it feels good to deal with a company that knows there product lines well and they did a price match and tossed in free shipping match also so happy with that overall. heck other place did not expect the rack to be in until 4/27 anyway so win-win I felt.

off to walk dogs then will come back here to researcx windscreens.

Heya, my two bits on the buy, first off, the price and the good bottom end power, is excellent value.

Second, to quote a review which I cannot remember the source "The NC 700 shows how spoiled and out of touch bikes have gotten" Give or take a few words.

Things like the brake complaints. I got my start on a bike that was 30 years old at the time, I love my vintage bikes. Single solid rotor front was state of the art, first time used. Rear was a mechanical drum. No fairings, etc. That bike is awesome to ride, stops great etc.

People talking the double front rotors, is no wonder they all want ABS. Unless running full race compound, where I live, that is way too much brake. Lots of break friction, low road to tire grip. If peeps are needing ABS for their sports, then they have way too much braking.

On topic of powerband, it is the one thing I do not look at ever when bike shopping. I care about the torque. Torque is what gets you going, helps overcome wind etc. Sure, a high rpm engine has the final drive to allow more torque overall, but you are losing so much to frictional and parasitic losses, plus simply the wear on the engine. Carrol Shelby was famous for saying "Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races" My ol CB is a +9k redline, but is very rare to approach it simply because there is no need to 95% of the time.

I am going to say, I do not have an NC yet. Too much snow to test drive to confirm, but all I have heard is rave reviews of the bike. Only real complaint I have seen is the lack of top end, but many experienced riders say the low centre of gravity and fuel economy makes for more pure enjoyment than a high rev engine would. If I can ride one comfortable, I am fully intent on picking one up in June/July.

Aftermarket parts I am eyeing should I get one:
Hepco and Becker or the Givi Engine guard I am looking at
MRA vario windscreen

I really question Honda's fog light kit and want to see more info before I think about it. It looks like a grand plus for everything to install. The recommendations I have seen is to get the relay and wiring harness installed, then aftermarket the lights to the aftermarket guards or front wheels. I just am curious as what all the fog light install kit comes with. I mean if it has proper switches, fuses etc, I would consider it. Essentially, the fog light option in canada dollars is 440 for the fog lights, and 570 for the fog light attachment kit. The relay, subharness and aux outlet are relatively cheap so those would be something worth getting.

Lastly, SW Motech has nice framing for side and rear cases that can support Givi.

Great deal and I think you will enjoy the bike.

The only things I've found to be weak on the bike were the horn (fixed), luggage capacity (fixed) and the headlight (fixed). Everything else is great fun!
Mike

Welcome and that was a great deal! I have the SW-Motech rear rack and crash guard. Went with them for the engine guard because it has a cross bar connecting the 2 sides. I liked that design better than the Givi. I have the Honda tall screen. I consider it a tall minimalist screen as it isn’t as wide as a lot of the aftermarket screens. Gets the wind off my chest but I still get plenty of air flow which works good for me as most of my riding is around town. I haven’t had a problem with buffeting that others have.

Congratulations on the bike and the deal! For what it's worth, instead of the Honda 12Volt accessory socket, I'd just get the Honda electrical sub harness and relay kit. That will set you up with available switched power for any accessories you may want to add. Then just get a good 12v outlet from somewhere else for about 5 times less cost. A lot of people, myself included, got the Blue Sea marine outlet from Amazon.
No one is going to mistake the NC suspension for a CBR1000RR. It's pretty basic, but it works, and if you feel the need to upgrade, Ohlins and Race Tech now have parts for the bike.

Enjoy the bike,
Bob

Should have noted that prior, the $5,500 did not include $200 dealer fee nor Honda shipping. Something like $6,000 ther abouts the door and I then pay tax back in Florida.

The brakes are good IF you don't ride another bike with better brakes !!.
My wifes 1994 GS500 has WAY better brakes ( single front and rear ) but if I don't ride it back to back with my X,the X brakes seem very good.
In the X's defence I put a SS brake line on the front of the GS along with EBC pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, that is an awesome price. I payed 7500 plus tax up here in Canada and that was after a 1000$ honda rebate and a military discount. I hate to say but have to admit I have not ridden it much yet, still have too much snow and gravel on the roads up here. It sits in the garage and I tinker away waiting for the sun. From what I've read and the couple short rides I've snuck in between snow falls IM thinking its a hell of a decent bike, smooth, torquey, and quiet. It's a Honda. Hope you enjoy it.

Should have noted that prior, the $5,500 did not include $200 dealer fee nor Honda shipping. Something like $6,000 ther abouts the door and I then pay tax back in Florida.

Thanks for that! That is in line with the lowest price others have paid. For some reason, prices seem to be lower in TN GA and MS. I paid more in Ohio, but I saved on travel and motel. I thought about coming south, if nothing else to perhaps make an extended trip and avoid one more month of winter. It seems to be just over now.

Two things about this bike are getting ridiculously out of hand: comments on the powerband and the brakes. I came from a Nighthawk that redlined at 10k, and I've never hit the rev limiter on the NC700. No adjustment period needed. I shift when it feels right and it comes to be around 3000-3300 rpm. The 6500 rpm limiter is not a problem and the great torque of the engine makes it feel more powerful than my Nighthawk on normal rides. Also, the front brake is very good. I also had an older 650 Nighthawk with dual discs and this single disc is much more powerful with better feel. I have ridden dozens of different bikes over the decades, and the front brake is very competent compared to all.
I have no idea why everyone expects this bike to behave like a high powered crotch rocket with massive brakes. You guys bought the wrong bike! For the normal guy which is who this bike was built for, you won't have a problem with the powerband or brakes.

Back