• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How is the NC on the freeway?

tomykay12

Reaction score
Visit site
I drive a ST1300 now, and am thinking of downsizing to a NC. The San Diego area has great backcountry riding, but also a fair amount of freeway rides too. I love the ST on the freeway; it is immune to most buffeting while passing trucks, etc. How does the NC perform at freeway speeds? I know it is quite a bit lighter, but it also appears to have less plastic. Do you feel comfortable on the freeway on your NC?

Ride almost everyday to work 26 miles on Highway 10 on back roads... each way.
The NC does fine on the highway. A truck blowing by will buffet you a little but not bad at all.
A decent wind screen and perhaps an additional lip and it's pretty smooth. 65 - 70 seems to be the sweet spot (for me).

It's not Giant 1000lb Cruiser with leg shields and a massive windscreen highway smooth, but I never feel uncomfortable or in danger. (Except for the cell phone drivers.... but that's just 2017....)

Well, in my limited experience, yes.
On two lane roads the buffeting from trucks coming the other way can be something.
On a divided road that is no problem, of course. You want to stay out of the slipstream of big trucks.
The bike rides fine at 75, and with a good windshield is reasonably comfortable.
(I agree that 65 seems like the happy zone.)
I think you will find the biggest difference from a bigger bike is the need to shift more to maintain speed uphill.
You do need to plan passes. If you downshift and twist the throttle it will go, but not with the instant power of a big tourer.

On the other hand, it is excellent on twisties and in town traffic.
If you get the DCT model you can just release the throttle and roll to a stop at a light. No need to hold in a clutch or keep your foot on the brake.

It does fine above 75, but better taller (and wider!) windscreen is probably something most riders are going to want for that. I do 70 and 75 for fairly long stretches on my naked tall shorter-wheelbase 270-pound dualsport though and get truckwash during that in the two-lane portions, so what do I know ; }

Last edited by a moderator:
1st ride on the interstate I thought I made a big mistake, but it was just the factory windscreen. For me, anything over 55 mph was absolutely abysmal until I upgraded to a better screen. I still feel like I'm about to get a high speed death wobble behind anything bigger than a Camry at 65 mph, but it's easy enough to find clean air. My NC feels stable and quiet thanks to the Palmer Products bracket and a tall Vstream.

Last edited:
With a larger windshield, it's great on the freeways. I've done hundreds of miles at 80 mph + in gusty winds across the plains and the NC did it like a champ, ripping past semi's at WOT. I'm completely comfortable on the NC at freeway speeds. It's totally capable for extended freeway travel in all conditions.

Yeah, regardless of what screen I had or none, I sure never felt anything like a "death wobble". Even when passing at 90-95, and regardless of what vehicle was in front of me. Only thing that could account for that is tire choice/tire pressure. Note that I'm not a sportbike type -- I am happy going slower much of the time when the flow allows ; }

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with greenboy I've ridden with no screen and the Honda tall screen at higher speeds without anything close to a problem. My commute to work is over a small mountain pass that has 25mph-40mph winds daily and it's gust are more then that at times, I ride 75-80 and and my only complaint is a strong headwind and incline slowing me down, I down shift go 70 for a stretch and then back to normal. If you ride on the freeway allot I would look into changing a sprocket to get more top end speed (so you ride at lower rpms) I changed my rear sprocket from 43 down to a 41 and it's worked well, recently greenboy found a 17 front sprocket and that sounds even better. I'm planning on getting a Madstad screen soon, I hear nothing but good things (looks aside)

Last edited:
Riding at 80 is pretty cool, specially when you duck under the windscreen and all you hear is the motor purring and a bit of wind on your back. I like to imagine that's what it sounds like with a bigger windscreen. lol

If I try another screen it'll be a tall VStream. I'd probably be more likely to jump if it had a tint for that size. I suppose I should write and ask ; }

Riding at 80 is pretty cool, specially when you duck under the windscreen and all you hear is the motor purring and a bit of wind on your back. I like to imagine that's what it sounds like with a bigger windscreen. lol
When you lay down on the frunk that's what happens.

One of the main reasons I bought the NC was for freeway use. My Zero is OK on the freeway but it only weighs 414 pounds so it gets blown around a little and the 150 mile in-town range gets cut in half at freeway speeds. The NC is very solid at 70-75 mph which is my usual speed. I find the wind blast quite even and I'm perfectly fine with the stock windscreen. Sixth gear roll-on is weak but If you kick it down a gear or two it moves right along. I am totally satisfied with the NC on the freeway and prefer it to my Zero even on shorter trips where range isn't an issue. For me it is just big enough and just heavy enough to feel really good on the highway.

I went 85-90 on the interstates on my NC without any issues, but the wind was very tiring. I was never able to get an aftermarket windscreen that really helped much with that (I tried three), and I know the wobble that gunnut37086 described when riding behind trucks or very large SUVs. I didn't have any larger bikes to compare the experience to, so I felt fine as long as I wasn't riding those speeds for longer than an hour or two. 70-75 is definitely better for feeling less wind fatigue. I think if I had purchased a madstad it would have improved the experience on the interstate.

I put the Honda Accessory Touring screen on my NC. It was sufficiently tall to provide reasonable protection but more importantly it did not distort at speed like some of the other aftermarket items which used the mounting points for the smaller OEM screen. Its mounting points are strong.

The NC is no ST but it is still stable at speed. My Motorway cruising speed on it was 80mph and I had no issues whatsoever. I frequently did big day mileages on my NC that included plenty of motorway. I never found it lacking in that regard.

I also own a ST1300. Of course the NC does not have the effortless power of the ST and requires some forethought and downshifting to maintain a 70-90 mph pace in hills or through traffic but otherwise mine does just fine and I've ridden both long distances on interstate highways and back roads. The NC has a longer wheelbase and is actually is more directionally stable at speed than the ST is but I do miss the better wind protection and weight of the ST in strong gusty winds and bad weather. I have a Madstad with winglets on the NC and it provides excellent upper body protection and it is quieter than the ST1300 with it's stock shield set low enough to look over. The NC seat (for me) at least requires some modification to be able to sit on for hours. I've owned the ST 11 years and an NC for about 4 years. (two of them added together).

Hi ALL - I find the NC very stable so far but I would like to know from others PLEASE if you can tell me how 2UP will be? I imagine the weight will help in winds right???

This is very important to me as I take the wife with me ALL THE TIME.

Any feedback? So far I found it OK on the short trips we have done but some wind gusts I am still trying to adjust to...my wife was a little uneasy last round we did when we had some side winds hit her... I am still waiting for the MADSTAD to arrive and the HONDA top box which will give her back support.

Thank you.

Hi ALL - I find the NC very stable so far but I would like to know from others PLEASE if you can tell me how 2UP will be?

Stability wise, probably okay, but comfort wise for any distance, not so much. If I was buying a bike knowing that a large percentage of its use would be 2up, I wouldn't recommend the NC. It's just not a 2up type bike.

Back