• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How Long will NC700X last?

I forgot; You have a Ridgeline, don't you? I do, too!

I was thinking the other day that it would be nice (and kinda cool) to get 100k miles out of my NCX. I'm only a quarter of the way there yet. :)

I had a Ridgeline as well until a couple of months ago. 100,000 miles. Only problems were the dome lights, and seat heater lights in the button. (1st world problems, I know!)
It was also keyed on both sides, and had serious hail damage from west texas. I traded it in on a 2014 Dodge Caravan. The day I left the dealership in the van, the left door wouldn't close. It took 4 trips to dealer for them to figure it out. And one more trip for them to fix the switches they left disconnected after fixing the door. At 4000 miles, my wife punished a curb in parking lot. Rim, tire and steering components mangled. Two weeks to fix.

I get the feeling my NC700 will outlast the van!

The lights in the switches are easy low cost replacement. Most of mine have been replace and a few are out right now. Problem is in the daylight you can't tell if they are working so have to remember which ones are out.

One comment in the 1 page writeup in Motorcyclist mag of a possible supercharged NC in sport bike clothing by Honda is, 'doubling the power is unlikely to strain' the current 50 hp engine.

But I'm sure a 100 hp NC engine would have a few beefier internal parts, while externally would look the same or similar. I'm just hoping to see the 750 DCT in the USA for 2016. I doubt Honda is building any more 700s.

As far a durability is concerned, I remember seeing a few dozen rejected crankshafts at the Honda Ohio Ana Engine plant. That is why Honda engines last forever, the crankshafts have perfect balance before going into an engine.
So far as I know, the only engine I ever knew about that was purposely under powered (by the intake and exhaust) from factory was the air-cooled VW. With a '60's model, you could have the "pedal to the metal" all day and not blow it up.
That's why when we started hopping them up, all you had to do was let it breath and you could double the HP.

It would be great if Honda had planned the NC to be supercharged from the beginning.

I was at a Honda dealer few weeks ago.was talking about the cb1100.guy said they can't keep them in stock they sell so fast,but for 2015 they are not making anymore.I told him what I had,he said sells dropped so much on the nc that they can't give them away but they are making them for 2015.this leads me to believe that the USA market does not decide what they make which makes sense.I also know that 80% of the time I am 100% sure that I am 50% correct.

Nobody is buying them, but membership here just keeps growing. Go figure. ��

^^^^^^^^^^
+2 Gee.........you go into buy a new bike and it's suddenly that hottest bike on the market ...........then your asked about your trade in ........then the trade becomes the slowest selling bike in the market...........some things never ever change. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
And I was just kicking tires cause I like to look at bikes,if it was summer they don't talk to you unless you ask.

Cars last longer than they used to. My 10 year old Honda truck has 316,000 miles. Major repairs are: replaced catalytic converter starting to plug, valve cover gasket, driver window motor and temperature control switch. I do follow Honda maintenance schedule. Expect to continue driving it a long time yet.

I have a co-worker that won't buy a car with fewer than 100-150K miles on it...
He believes that is the point where a car has been "fully tested" all the parts that were going to break have been replaced, and it's ready for another 100-150k miles...

He must be doing something right because he's coming up on 300K on a Honda minivan...

Ultimately what kills cars around here though isn't miles, it's how many winter seasons they've been blasted with salt... Rust kills cars. I wonder if the same will be true of the NC, I don't ride it on salted roads (to risky with patches of ice and such) but at some point the frame will start to rust, one scratch in the paint it all it takes... I suspect that will be the ultimate decider in how long the NC can last...

So far as I know, the only engine I ever knew about that was purposely under powered (by the intake and exhaust) from factory was the air-cooled VW. With a '60's model, you could have the "pedal to the metal" all day and not blow it up.
That's why when we started hopping them up, all you had to do was let it breath and you could double the HP.

It would be great if Honda had planned the NC to be supercharged from the beginning.

Personally I'm of this opinion, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least. That is what Honda did with the CX500 model- they planned from the beginning to make a Turbocharged "flagship" model later on. I remember reading motorcycle tests of the CX500's prior to the launch of the Turbo, some 3-4 years later, and there was much talk of being puzzled as to why the engine was so overbuilt and under stressed.

Since it was Honda's very first V-Twin engine, people thought maybe that was why, a careful precaution against not building it sturdy enough the first time. After the Turbo came out, they went: "Ahhh!, so that's why!"

The over 19 psi boost pressure of the turbo, pretty much doubled the horsepower from the regular 500. :D

You'll never see a supercharged NC. The Adventure class is in the tractor class, like my Rokon, where torque is more desired than supercharged hp.
Seeing the spec numbers on this new to motorcycling system (from 80s' turbos) will be very interesting, indeed.
Imagine swapping the NC bodywork to a NC700SS. Oh what the hell, just buy the SS.

You'll never see a supercharged NC. The Adventure class is in the tractor class, like my Rokon, where torque is more desired than supercharged hp.
Seeing the spec numbers on this new to motorcycling system (from 80s' turbos) will be very interesting, indeed.
Imagine swapping the NC bodywork to a NC700SS. Oh what the hell, just buy the SS.

Superchargers are known for their sweet torque boost, that's one big thing in their favour. I do agree though, I would be gobsmacked if an X variant was even a remote possibility.

These should be good for a Lot of miles, they are less stressed than a 4cyl. Goldwing engine.

I did a few goldwing restores,

That bumblebee is a restore I did for my Brother in law, it's a 78' Goldwing with a 75' GL1000 engine, this was a complete restoration, engine out of frame.

The wine colored one is my 86' GL1200 turned it into a naked bike, it lost 200-lbs as the outcome, and has 1959 caddy tailights, it is fast and handles the twisties really well in the canyons, the brakes are very good, it is surprising what a 200-lbs loss can do for performance.

And a size comparison of the NC700X to my 86' GL1200 the weights are fairly close with the GL1200 now at about 500-lbs.

That Beige Goldwing is my 83' Goldwing It also was a complete restore, and it had a frozen motor when I bought it for $300.00, it has been converted to naked and a single seat, with caddy Coupe deville tail lights with a shield, it also has a dual gas tanks it has the OEM tank under the seat and a steel upper tank between the two tank has 11.3 gallons of gas, and at 40mpg I can go quite a bit longer between fill up that i could before. In that pic i was adding the front shield and the caddy tail lights.

Behind the Beige bike is a 58' Corvette, and a 67' Chevy pickup frame off restoration on the pickup 350ci engine with a 4sp auto trans, and power disk brakes and power steering.

I was comparing my NC700X to a bike I used to own it was a 71' CL350, it is surprising that from a performance stand point that 71' CL350 twin cyl. was very close to the performance of the NC700X as far as 1/4 mile performance is concerned. That air cooled CL350 handled really good on old school tires and that thing would run, Modern FI, One throttle body like the NC700X has instead of one per cylinder, modern brakes and ignition would make that bike a big seller, it would probably drop a few thousand $$ off of the price too.

That 71' CL350 had over 100,000 miles on it when i sold it, and it was a air cooled engine, and air cooled engined bike is a lot cheaper to make than a water cooled bike

Question is Honda could build a 350-lbs, 350cc bike with the same performance as the NC700X, I know they could do it with modern tech, but they would probably bury several other bikes in their line up.

Attachments

• P1020174 1 comp 398k.jpg
    P1020174 1 comp 398k.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 598
  • P1020172 1 comp 398k.jpg
    P1020172 1 comp 398k.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 840
  • P1010249 Compress 298k.jpg
    P1010249 Compress 298k.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 613
  • P1020430 1 comp 478.jpg
    P1020430 1 comp 478.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 648
  • P1010941 1 Comp 478k.jpg
    P1010941 1 Comp 478k.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 629
Last edited:
High miles in a short time is not a sign of a hard life for the bike,just think all that high speed cool running ,,whereas a lower mileage in the same time could be the result of inner city commuting,,think how many times you use the clutch,,,,I thrash my bike on an 140 miles trip every week at night ..at that time of night its generally cooler (if not bloody freezing),but once on the motorway it stays in top gear and just goes,,it suffer hardly any stress for the same miles as a city ony bike....

Back