• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How many miles did you get on your Michelin 4 Tires

I got mine at about 10K and I am at about 21K now. The front hardly shows any wear at all. The back is showing wear in the middle due to highway miles, but still has some life in it. I've been struggling with whether I need to change it before my 2K plus trip this summer.

I got 9,771 miles out of the rear PR4. The rear PR3 made it to 10,716. Both front tires were over 16,000 miles.

9,000 miles on a rear tire? I don't think I've ever made it past 6,000.00. Are the Pilot's a hard / no so road sticky tire?

9,000 miles on a rear tire? I don't think I've ever made it past 6,000.00. Are the Pilot's a hard / no so road sticky tire?

dial compound, hard in the center, soft on the sides

I was told to expect 10K to 12K on the rear, even more if I was nice to it. right now with 3.5k looks untouched

I got 9,771 miles out of the rear PR4. The rear PR3 made it to 10,716. Both front tires were over 16,000 miles.

+1. Got 10,680 miles on a rear PR4, 11,213 from a rear PR3. Front went 17,529 PR4 and 15,467 PR3.

I'm going back to them next change, been playing around with DS tires and it's not been a worthwhile experiment for my riding.

trey

I have just about 6000 miles on my set and am about to replace the rear. It is not quite at the wear bars but I am going on a long weekend trip and I do not want to risk it not making it. I am a little disappointed by the wear, was hoping for more life and it is quite squared off..

I do mostly 70mph commuting, that may be partially the problem...

I was also told to expect between 12 to 15k miles. My rear has about 4k miles, the front has 270 (new last week.) And they are sticky enough for me, but then I am not looking to go scraping knees around corners either.

I have just about 6000 miles on my set and am about to replace the rear. It is not quite at the wear bars but I am going on a long weekend trip and I do not want to risk it not making it. I am a little disappointed by the wear, was hoping for more life and it is quite squared off..

I do mostly 70mph commuting, that may be partially the problem...

Same for me, had to replace the rear PR4 at just over 8k, when I was expecting close to 12k. It's a nice tire, but not worth the bucks in my opinion.

Do the rears go from OK to cords in a blink (like the Met Z8), or is there a fair warning?

Do the rears go from OK to cords in a blink (like the Met Z8), or is there a fair warning?
Good warning ahead of time, at least for me, with almost only freeway driving the center flattens out and you have squared edges well before the tire is done, the center was bald with grooves on both sides for around 3k miles before cord showed. I bought new tires when it got bald and was waiting for them to be completely shot out before changing to the new ones

They seem to go faster towards the end.

This is what mine looks like is happening.

I have ~13,200 on my rear PR4 right now. There is still useful tread left (meaning they're not to the wear bars anywhere, even in the middle), but I'm not confident of how much. I got about 14,200 out of the rear OEM Metzie. It was probably 10 miles from the last wisp of rubber coming off the cord. I could see the cord pattern in the surface of the rubber, but it wasn't uncovered anywhere.

I want to put a Pirelli Angel GT on the rear next. Had a ContiMotion last time. It was a perfectly decent tire, and super-cheap, and I got a bit over 10k out of it, but don't love changing tires and I'm pleased with the Angel GT on the front now, so I'll throw one on the rear to see how it compares to the others I've run.

They seem to go faster towards the end.

I agree that they wear faster towards the end of its life but you still have plenty of warning. I installed the second PR4 at 20K. I'm am now sitting at 31,500ish and the tire still has some life left in her. I weight 205 and keep my panniers and topbox mounted at all times. Plus, the Arkansas roads (inner city) are terrible for the most part.

My first PR4 made it to 14k. I imagine I'll change this one somewhere between 13 and 14k. The current rear tire is not completely bald in the center yet.

For what its worth, I am a very aggressive rider. These tires hold up well. I can only compare them to the BT-023 that came with the bike which only made it to 9K under same conditions and roads. The PR4 is such a great tire I've decided to stick with it regardless of the cost.

I am not really an aggressive rider, weigh around 190, only have a (mostly) empty top case. Why are mine wearing so quickly? Is it the concrete interstate I ride daily that makes them wear faster than on blacktop?

I am not really an aggressive rider, weigh around 190, only have a (mostly) empty top case. Why are mine wearing so quickly? Is it the concrete interstate I ride daily that makes them wear faster than on blacktop?
try using the front brake only. And make sure your tire is as close to perfectly aligned as possible I also run my tires between 40-42

I use a CAT laser gizmo to align my chain, so I think that ok.

To be honest, I don't think my front tire will last anywhere close to the mileage others are getting, so that should mean something, right?

At least both tires are wearing fast and that is a constant...

I have often wondered what the most significant factors are in motorcycle tire wear between various riders of the same model motorcycle. I think that pressure is probably in the top 2 1/2 primary factors for tire life, but I have no data to prove it either way.

--I'm not an aggressive rider, yet it appears I get similar mileage (at least out of PR4s?) to Chuck, who is very aggressive. I'm a little lighter than he is, too, and I only run part of my luggage, or none, for my commute.

--I've wondered about road surface texture. That _seems_ like it would be a big factor. That said, our freeways here (where most of my commute miles are) have SUPER-nice, quiet surfaces now. They apparently use a fair amount of recycled tire rubber in the mix. That should also make my tires last longer, but...

--It's incredibly hot here for a looooong time each year. Maybe that offsets the other, more positive factors? I did run up the west coast and back on this tire last summer, and many of those roads were complete crap, so maybe that also offsets some of the positives? I also tour around a bit, and most of the roads I take for those rides are not terribly smooth.

Back