• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How many of you wave when going by another bike on the road ?

I tend to always wave when I can, kids on school buses smile and wave, that always gets a big grin and a wave from me.

I did some googling and came up empty on the origin of the wave as explained to me many moons ago by some outlaw riders I grew up with. The low wave, left hand held low and to the side with the peace sign pointed down and the thumb up meant two tires down and one rider up. Keep the shiny side up! :D

Patting the top of your head or patting the air beside you was a warning the Law was behind you and to slow down. Kicking a foot out or repeatedly pointing down indicates poor roads or trash on the road.

Any way that was what I was told by some Bandidos in the late 60s when I asked this question.

OCR is correct in his post. Waving started as a way to check on your fellow rider when you saw them on the side of the road. A simple wave and a thumbs up, all is ok. I wave to anyone on two wheel just as politeness. I don't care if they don't wave back. Doesn't mean anything really.
I stopped just the other day for a rider on the side of the road that didn't wave when I rode by, and when he saw me return, he smiled and said all was ok he was just waiting for a friend. He did thank me for checking on him though. Just a simple wave letting know he was ok would have worked better. That is just an old school thing that I think we all did years ago, and now it is just a way of greeting another rider that shares the road with the same passion as you.
I stop the wave at Bike Week as there is just too many riders together. It would wear me out!

I wave all the time, however I am sure there are times when I was intent on my thoughts and missed waving. I wouldn't take it personal. There are some people who ride that don't really love to ride and they probably see no need to wave. It's hard for most of us to imagine that, but there are people out there like that.

Not hard to believe when they are riding DUI scoots on highway.

DUI scooters. I had to look that one up as I never heard that term. Here in Illinois nearly all scooters need to be licensed, so I guess it wouldn't apply here. My 49cc scooters are fully licensed, insured, titled. Never had a DUI either.

As a relatively new rider (2 years, 10k miles) I like the wave and the sense of community it engenders. I am deep in Harley country here and most (75%?) HD riders return the wave. That's okay, it won't stop me from initiating the wave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DUI scooters. I had to look that one up as I never heard that term. Here in Illinois nearly all scooters need to be licensed, so I guess it wouldn't apply here. My 49cc scooters are fully licensed, insured, titled. Never had a DUI either.

Lots of states require no license or registration for under 50cc and limited under 35mph. People with lost license often ride cheap Chinese scoots. Some small towns around here have lots of overweight middle aged men riding them and holding up traffic on 2 lane roads.

I almost always wave, its the friendly thing to do. Sport bikes, touring bikes almost always wave back. HD riders not so much. I find it funny. Most of the HD riders I know put minimal miles on each year, only ride if the weather is perfect and the stars have aligned, but hop on their "iron horse" and think they are the epitomy of the biking universe. Not all, some of them are really decent guys, but in my area the HD tends to come with a King S--T attitude. It's very comical.

I almost always wave, its the friendly thing to do. Sport bikes, touring bikes almost always wave back. HD riders not so much. I find it funny. Most of the HD riders I know put minimal miles on each year, only ride if the weather is perfect and the stars have aligned, but hop on their "iron horse" and think they are the epitomy of the biking universe. Not all, some of them are really decent guys, but in my area the HD tends to come with a King S--T attitude. It's very comical.

Yeah, and of all my riding buddies, the most critical about the Harley attitude is a friend who rides a Harley Electra glide. He has put nearly 100,000 miles on it in 5 years. It's hilarious when he calls out another HD rider when he is talking trash about non HD riders. They'll ask him, so what do you ride? The expressions on their faces when he tells them a Harley Electra glide is priceless! We quickly point out the miles he has put in his bike, and ask the person how many miles they have on their Harley. They usually shut up at that point.

I have friends that ride Harley's that just love to ride and respect anyone else that rides regardless of what they ride. The loud mouths are usually people that ride to the bar and back and put few miles on their bikes. They love the image of a bad @ss biker, they do not have a love for riding. Why would they feel the urge to wave at anyone on anything other than a Harley? They feel no connection to riding, they only feel a connection to a brand or image.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I confess that I'm not much of a waver while riding. I'll usually return someone else's wave, but I almost never wave first. About the only folks I don't return a wave to are the ones that either wave from all the way across a 6 lane highway or that wait until they're about 2 feet from passing behind me before waving to me first.

I do slow down and wave/stick out my hand ("want a hand?") to bikers on the side of the road, though. Seems only right.

Sigh. I've been told I'm not completely gregarious. Very troubling...

I was rather surprised last week when I went on an early morning ride through the neighboring countryside. At least three cagers, in cars, minivans, and pickups, initiated a wave to me on the bike. I was not expecting the wave, and was not quick enough to respond before passing by. I shall be more prepared on the next ride.

I guess waving is just the way of rural country life. Not a bad thing. :)

I was rather surprised last week when I went on an early morning ride through the neighboring countryside. At least three cagers, in cars, minivans, and pickups, initiated a wave to me on the bike. I was not expecting the wave, and was not quick enough to respond before passing by. I shall be more prepared on the next ride.

I guess waving is just the way of rural country life. Not a bad thing. :)

It is funny your brought this up. I was out with the family in the jeep this weekend and as I've stated before Jeepers wave to other Jeepers too. So regardless what vehicle I'm operating I am waving.

If I have my windows down or top off I have a tendancy to wave to a bike as they pass by. Several have waved back. I'm sure they immdeiately assume I ride. Just not that day. I have had a few give me an odd look. The guys on the harleys rarely wave back though so I don't waste my time on them. No offense to anyone who has one.

I wave at all motorcycles... wave: point two fingers on left hand down at the other bike.
"Two Down." or "keep two wheels down." I look on it as a wish for the other rider's safety and enjoyment.

It's best when I see a bike, give the wave, and see that it's a motorcycle cop.... and he gives it back!

That's pretty cool.

Peace sign, two fingers down with left hand. "Rubber on the road". Probably 75-80% of the time (unless I miss the bike or during a spirited turn).

Peace sign, two fingers down with left hand. "Rubber on the road". Probably 75-80% of the time (unless I miss the bike or during a spirited turn).

Ditto.

...It's best when I see a bike, give the wave, and see that it's a motorcycle cop.... and he gives it back!

I never see them wave back! They are usually a different breed.

Commuters are less likely to wave, as they need to focus on the traffic around them.

I've found that most Harley Riders will not "Wave" to "Non-Harley Riders". The same goes for some Sport Bike Riders too.

I would say that I get 1 out of 6 riders to wave back when I do.

Commuters are less likely to wave, as they need to focus on the traffic around them.

I've found that most Harley Riders will not "Wave" to "Non-Harley Riders". The same goes for some Sport Bike Riders too.

I would say that I get 1 out of 6 riders to wave back when I do.
Guess people are more friendly in the south. Probably 2 of 3 wave back here.

Here in downstate New York 100% of motorcyclists – regardless of make – initiate or respond to a wave. I think because the season is so short and the four-wheeled traffic so blind motorcyclists here might take each other a little less for granted than some other places.

I wave to anybody who initiates. Even pedestrians can get a wave from me; give proper respect to the walkers! I often initiate a wave to professional drivers: truckers, EMTs, bus drivers, local and state police, postal and delivery services personnel, DPW workers. A neighbor who drives bus saw me wave at her and told me it made her day and increased her awareness of motorcyclists around her.

Back