• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How to Replace Chain, and Sprockets

For the front sprocket I have my son sit on the bike and hold the rear brake

I've got a new chain and sprockets, and all the tools, in the garage just waiting for me to attempt my first DIY chain and sprocket change. Hope I can break the front sprocket free and get through this!
Every project on the bike that's a first is intimidating for me, once you get started you find your way. It sounds like you've done your research and are prepared with the right tools it'll be fine, take your time and when in doubt look here or online if all else fails check the repair manual lol

Thanks. I"m primarily concerned about using the breaker and riveting tool. Primarily, the specs concerning pressing the plate, and creating the rivet. I know You can under or over do it. I think somewhere Beemerphile addressed those issues.
I bought the RK chain breaker. Awesome with good instructions. I have seen it for $90 dollars.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here's how far I made it yesterday - was able to break free the front sprocket bolt in neutral while stepping on rear brake. Chain broken easily with the cheap chain tool / riveter kit I have. Pin pushed through without grinding. Real wheel off, no problem. Rear sprocket change, no problem. Front sprocket change, no problem. I forgot about the (I think it's the...) spacer inside the wheel and it fell out (chain side) while I was reinstalling - pretty sure I put it back in there the right way but I'll double check that by looking in the service manual.

I had a good bit of trouble with the master link. Getting the plate on, aligning the tool, pressing it, etc. Took a while and now I'm not sure I mushroomed it enough. It was getting late so I stopped there. I need to check on that tonight. Then all that should be left is to adjust the tension and put the front sprocket cover and chain guard back on.

If I failed, well, the shop where I normally get service done does pickup and delivery, and since I don't know if any maintenance was EVER done on this thing (just got it - see intro post) at some point I'll take it in for a brake fluid and coolant change, and valve check.

Edit: I'll start posting in another thread as this is the How To... sorry to post here - just realized I'm not contributing much in the way of How To!

Here's how far I made it yesterday - was able to break free the front sprocket bolt in neutral while stepping on rear brake. Chain broken easily with the cheap chain tool / riveter kit I have. Pin pushed through without grinding. Real wheel off, no problem. Rear sprocket change, no problem. Front sprocket change, no problem. I forgot about the (I think it's the...) spacer inside the wheel and it fell out (chain side) while I was reinstalling - pretty sure I put it back in there the right way but I'll double check that by looking in the service manual.

I had a good bit of trouble with the master link. Getting the plate on, aligning the tool, pressing it, etc. Took a while and now I'm not sure I mushroomed it enough. It was getting late so I stopped there. I need to check on that tonight. Then all that should be left is to adjust the tension and put the front sprocket cover and chain guard back on.

If I failed, well, the shop where I normally get service done does pickup and delivery, and since I don't know if any maintenance was EVER done on this thing (just got it - see intro post) at some point I'll take it in for a brake fluid and coolant change, and valve check.

Edit: I'll start posting in another thread as this is the How To... sorry to post here - just realized I'm not contributing much in the way of How To!
don't forget alignment when adjusting tension. I ruined a chain pretty quick because of not getting that correct

That is why I love the RK chain breaker and master link tool. When putting on the new side plate RK has a plate you put in the tool. Press the plate on and it only allows the plate to be pushed to the exact depth that is needed. Then take plate out then stake the rivet measuring several times as you go. Perfect every time and with master links costing $10 a shot I think it is worth it.

Found these links with some info from DID.

http://www.didchain.com/PDF/DID Chain Tool Inst_150.pdf
http://www.didchain.com/PDF/DID_2014usa_final.pdf

One has flare dimensions in inches and one in mm. For the VX2, it says 5.5 to 5.8 mm or .217 to .228 inches. Since I didn't measure the pin before I attempted to flare it, I assume it's safe to go buy a digital caliper to measure and use these measurements. (Correct me if I'm wrong please) - Does anyone happen to know the diameter of the pin before flaring?

Last edited:
Found these links with some info from DID.

http://www.didchain.com/PDF/DID Chain Tool Inst_150.pdf
http://www.didchain.com/PDF/DID_2014usa_final.pdf

One has flare dimensions in inches and one in mm. For the VX2, it says 5.5 to 5.8 mm or .217 to .228 inches. Since I didn't measure the pin before I attempted to flare it, I assume it's safe to go buy a digital caliper to measure and use these measurements. (Correct me if I'm wrong please) - Does anyone happen to know the diameter of the pin before flaring?

No, I don't. But, it doesn't take much at all to flare it enough to prevent the link from coming out. I usually eyeball it and compare it to the other flattened links.

Digital caliper is great. So easy my 11 yr can do it... with some guidance!
cfe3b9721f71002a6f4cd5f937887103.jpg

Back