• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I can't feel my seat! (Russell Daylong 1 year report)

ViperDriver

Reaction score
Visit site
Last September, I posted http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/9747-ah-comfort-last.html about some comfort mods to my NC700XD, the most important (and costly!) of which was my new Russell seat. I've not put as many miles on my bike in the past year as I'd wished--too much travel--but the seat is well broken in. A trip I made the other day prompted me to post this update on my experience with the Russell.

I rode from NW Arkansas to Kansas City to see my son last week. On the way up, I took the scenic route, sticking to twisty backroads. It took me about 5.5 hours to get there. Two days later, I needed to get home so I did the I-49 grind, about 3.5 hours. That evening I was talking to my wife about the ride and it struck me--in 9 hours of riding, I'd been completely unaware of the seat I was sitting on! I honestly don't remember ever thinking about it.

So if you'd like to be able to stop feeling your seat and just enjoy your ride, find the coins and get a Russell. Your tush will love you for it.

I appreciate your report. I've been on the fence. I see in the other thread that you did bar risers and moved pegs. I like the thought if that backrest OCR talks about.

Last edited:
I feel that way about my Sargent seat. Saddle time on the NCs up to 18.5 hours in length (21.5 hours on my ST) made comfortably possible for me. A couple years ago I did 6500 miles in 9 days with a 1500 mile day, an 850, a 600, and another 850 back to back to back. I don't bring it up to brag but to contrast the seat differences that provide still provide high levels of comfort to different riders. The Russel is soft while the Sargent is firm. My Lazy Boy in the den is comfy soft but I can't sit on it all day.

no pics? what's with all the posts here that talk about some other thread with no link provided while we are at it ; }

</rant>

I have never seen a negative review of a Russell Day Long. The only problem I have ever heard about the company was my own. Russell would not make me a seat for my NC7 because my legs are too short. They stated I would fall over at every red light, as Russell Day Long raises the seat height about 1 inch. I tried!

Question for the OP: what is your height and inseam?

I test rode a Russell that was custom built for a taller person than me. My inseam is 32 inches and I have no trouble flat footing with a stock, Sargent, Saddlemen, or Shad seat. I installed the Russell DL (temporarily) on my NC and basically I could hardly even ride the bike. The side wings on the seat are tall and extend far forward, prohibiting my legs from draping off the sides down to the pegs that, on the NC, are pretty much directly below the seat. This is not so much a problem of reaching the ground, but rather of comfortably reaching the stock footpegs. With my feet out on highway pegs, this seat design works. Likewise, with pegs positioned forward of the seat, like on a Goldwing, this seat shape also could probably work.

So, I will check with Russell to see if they can modify the seat for a shorter rider, otherwise I'll have it for sale. I desperately want this seat to work based on all the rave reviews, but to my surprise, so far I can't even ride on the thing.

I have to wonder if the general Russell Day Long design for the NC700X (which to me looks like a touring bike seat instead of an adventure bike seat) works only for people on the upper end of the leg length scale, since the footpegs on the NC are below the riders feet instead of being more forward as on a touring bike.

Last edited:
How NOT to improve your seat ...

Many good posts about how to improve the seat or what to replace the stock seat with, however I can say with quite certainty that one thing you don't want to do is install any of these. They seriously can run the risk of making for an uncomfortable ride!! :p

Found this little one when I got off my bike yesterday after riding home from work!!

2016-09-27-17.45.28-web.jpg

Disclaimer
This post was just in jest! As a beekeeper I know that the sting of this is highly unlikely to penetrate any decent riding pant, and I also know that the last thing you need to do, whether on a bike or not, is panic when these get this close!:D

Many good posts about how to improve the seat or what to replace the stock seat with, however I can say with quite certainty that one thing you don't want to do is install any of these. They seriously can run the risk of making for an uncomfortable ride!! :p

Found this little one when I got off my bike yesterday after riding home from work!!

View attachment 31233

Disclaimer
This post was just in jest! As a beekeeper I know that the sting of this is highly unlikely to penetrate any decent riding pant, and I also know that the last thing you need to do, whether on a bike or not, is panic when these get this close!:D
That's happened to me before! I was, of course, unscathed.

Number one best mod I made to my NC's! My Russel Day-Long (heated) has proven itself to be at least a Two-Day-Long for me on my long rides. Worth every penny for eliminating butt dancing from any other of the NC' seats.

Ray

Ray, I know you love your RDL seat. Your ability to take such long trips proves how well it works. You have long legs, right?

Nice review viper driver, what is your inseam? I'm a 32". I've done the showkey(?) mod and use a standard gel pad. I like the added height this has created and extra stretch for my legs as well as the elimination of the forward slope. The only downside for me at this point is that I'm now on the balls of my feet. That might be a concern with the Russell. I would like to do an upgrade someday so I can truly go back to those 500 mile days I used to enjoy doing.

My problem is I am 5'11'', but my inseam is only 28". That is a problem on adventure type motorcycles. On crusiers with short seat height this is not problem. But on the taller seat height motorcycles, my inseam becomes a real problem. I have ridden my goldwing with a russell day long for many miles, but it has a short seat height. The Russell is the best I have ridden on.................

Question for the OP: what is your height and inseam?

6' 0", ~31 inseam, 230 lbs (blush). With the stock seat I could easily flat-foot. With the Russell, I can't. Having ridden many gangly dirt bikes in the past, I don't really notice.

I also agree that Russell's focus is touring seats. That's what I wanted as I don't use my NC as an off road adventure bike. I even asked them to make the seat with the largest "bucket" possible, which they did. Works for me.

So OCR, what make is your seat?

You have done mega miles.

God bless!!

Michael

My seat is handmade my Eddie Copeland. He lives in Maryville, just off of the dragon. My daughter recovered the seat after I cut out the hole for the gas cap. It is very nice, and like the Russell can be ridden for over 1000 miles per day. My seat is more narrow in the front than the Russell. So, even with my short 28" inseam I can be flat footed on the NC.

Nana Chou Copeland Seat and Utopia Backrest.jpg

Last edited:
Back