• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Service report after 42,837 miles

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
Picked my 2021 DCT up from the shop after a complete service @ 42,837 miles

first valve inspection (all still in spec)
coolant flush,
brake fluid flush F& R (I had them done in Jan of '23 @ 23,405 mi, but it's been almost 20K mi, so it got replaced),
brake pads F&R (both still had some pad left, but rears were original, front first set went 23,405 mi and second set had 20K mi on them, so just replaced them both),
air cleaner (original - yes, it needed it),
spark plugs (original and didn't look too bad, but I had bought new plugs so in they went)
chain and sprockets F&R (original chain went 23,405 miles, 2nd chain went 19,429 miles, original sprockets still didn't look too bad for having 42,837 miles on them. Probably could have run thru another chain but I had bought a kit so replaced them all together this time ),
the 2021 safety recall for stalling (never had the stalling issue but safety checks are always good to get ... per the recall they re-flashed the ECU and the DCT).

Should be good for a while now lol. (except for tires that seem to wear out way too fast)

Took it for a 104 mile "test ride". Running like new!

For those curious they charged me 4 hours labor plus coolant and brake fluid (I supplied O.E. spark plugs, O.E. air cleaner, O.E. brake pads and aftermarket chain and sprocket kit)

Last edited:
I wish I had the ability to do it myself, but alas I am truly mechanically challenged.

The tech, who I consider a friend, and has been taking care of my bikes for decades did say a lot of times he thought engineers never touched a bike considering, at times, how difficult it is to do routine maintenance on them, but he thought the NC was engineered pretty well and a piece of cake to do maintenance on except for the air cleaner lol which he said he expected to be dirtier at that mileage..(but I thought it looked pretty grungy when he showed it to me.) Unfortunately for me, he is retiring at the end of the year so I figured I'd better get a good service done, before he is no longer available. I can do the oil changes and chain adjustments, so the work he did, for the most part, should get me into 2026. I'll be 74 in a couple weeks and not sure how much longer I'll get to ride. Genealogically speaking, no male in my family has ever made it past 78, riding to 76 would be a great.

I wish I had the ability to do it myself, but alas I am truly mechanically challenged.

The tech, who I consider a friend, and has been taking care of my bikes for decades did say a lot of times he thought engineers never touched a bike considering, at times, how difficult it is to do routine maintenance on them, but he thought the NC was engineered pretty well and a piece of cake to do maintenance on except for the air cleaner lol which he said he expected to be dirtier at that mileage..(but I thought it looked pretty grungy when he showed it to me.) Unfortunately for me, he is retiring at the end of the year so I figured I'd better get a good service done, before he is no longer available. I can do the oil changes and chain adjustments, so the work he did, for the most part, should get me into 2026. I'll be 74 in a couple weeks and not sure how much longer I'll get to ride. Genealogically speaking, no male in my family has ever made it past 78, riding to 76 would be a great.
Best wishes for your longevity and riding! As hard as it is for me to keep any bike more than a year or two, I keep thinking the NC would be the bike I'd like to ride later in life. I know it's cheap to own and easy to work on. I'm only 55 now, but if I am alive and kicking into my 70's, I would need to let go of my absurd craving for acceleration and get off the K1300, ZX14, S1000XR train of bikes and just take my NC out for a pleasant putt putt putt.

Yea, I came off bikes like Suzuki GS 1100 E, Yamahaz FZ -1 ( had 2 of them) Honda ST 1300, and Yamaha FJR. It took some time to adjust to the NCs meager power (relative to the bikes previously listed) but now I'm pretty much ok with it. Oh I miss intantaneous acceleration sometimes. It was time for me to slow down anyway. I do very much enjoy the lighter weight of the NC.

Last edited:
Back