• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I have destroyed my engine (really)

Dear sirs,
1. Fuel in Switzerland are so clean they are drinkable
2. Moto is always parked in covered underground carpark which only has children and zero animals

Update: the bike is on her way to the shop. Mechanic who picked her up said maybe the timing chain has skipped a beat but he cannot be sure.

Major surgery (aka big bill) coming up. I still hold hope that this shop is honest and will bill me the necessary work and parts. Prayers requested.

[emoji14]

Worse comes to worse I will send this bike to anyone who will pay for the shipping (for parts). Deregistered.
:(

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk

Best of luck with getting it fixed. There are lots of things that could be causing this and some of them are very simple. Have you tried a WC GS yet ?
Nope. I am so tempted to buy on impulse now. AT or GS....whatever coz any of them will quench my disappointment right now.

Nope. I am so tempted to buy on impulse now. AT or GS....whatever coz any of them will quench my disappointment right now.

Ok. Just careful with the impulse. I tried the WC GS. I own a Triumph Explorer 1200 as my two up touring bike, but it does much more for me than that. Anyway I took out the GS out of curiosity to see what a so called really good suspension is like. My Wife accompanied me. We planned to be off for the day on it. After about an hour my Wife asked me to bring her home and continue the day alone on the GS. She disliked it that much as a pillion. Personally I was not enjoying it much either. The motor for me was not as user friendly as the Triple and not as tractable. The gearbox felt loose and imprecise. The suspension and handling were ok. As I was not enjoying the experience I decided to return it to the shop and retrieve my Triumph. We continued the day on that and there were no more complaints. We still have it and for us as a couple it is irreplaceable.

The AT on the other hand is my solo motorcycle to replace the NC. I now have about 3300kms on it and I am thoroughly enjoying its enthusiastic motor and its plush suspension. It lives alongside the Triumph, and both have their strengths.

Hopefully your NC will be sorted soon and that will allow You to make a more measured decision.

Ok. Just careful with the impulse. I tried the WC GS. I own a Triumph Explorer 1200 as my two up touring bike, but it does much more for me than that. Anyway I took out the GS out of curiosity to see what a so called really good suspension is like. My Wife accompanied me. We planned to be off for the day on it. After about an hour my Wife asked me to bring her home and continue the day alone on the GS. She disliked it that much as a pillion. Personally I was not enjoying it much either. The motor for me was not as user friendly as the Triple and not as tractable. The gearbox felt loose and imprecise. The suspension and handling were ok. As I was not enjoying the experience I decided to return it to the shop and retrieve my Triumph. We continued the day on that and there were no more complaints. We still have it and for us as a couple it is irreplaceable.

The AT on the other hand is my solo motorcycle to replace the NC. I now have about 3300kms on it and I am thoroughly enjoying its enthusiastic motor and its plush suspension. It lives alongside the Triumph, and both have their strengths.

Hopefully your NC will be sorted soon and that will allow You to make a more measured decision.
It is a matter of taste. GS is a huge beast most people will not like the weight of.
I actually prefer the low CG of the boxer because once owned a R1100R.

AT is OTOH a nimble goat. I can also like her.
Value wise i get more from the bmw here. A almost new one can be 14kchf. A new AT is now 14~15kchf.

If you truelly trashed the engine...........that $3.5k trade in value talked about in other posts....... is now $.75k

Just for future reference ALL motorcyclists should have a mechanical knowledge of how their machine works. When we brake down at night a long way from help we cannot crawl in the backseat for a nap. Mechanica systems are logical. Fuel/ electical/ mechanical. I doubt you engine is broken. If you piston was seized it wouldn't turn over, if your bottom end was gone it would sound like a metal squirrel trying to get out. If you timing had slipped you'd get popping, backforing. As mentioned chick the plugs, get down and look at the injector, look for loose/ disconnected wires. What does your oil look like? have you got coolent showing in the res.?
Stop projecting your views on others. People no longer need to understand the internals of their bikes. 99.9% of people will never break down at night a long way from home.

I know my bike because it interests me, not because I need to.

What does your wife think of the AT, as a passenger? I haven't heard anyone saying anything about that.

What does your wife think of the AT, as a passenger? I haven't heard anyone saying anything about that.

There is a simple answer to that. She won't be on it. The Triumph is Her perch. She was never on my NC either.

Personally I think the AT suspension is too plush/soft to carry a pillion. The pillion seat looks substantial enough but I have heard of complaints from pillions in some reviews. The AT almost has dirt bike suspension, and as such the damping and the springing are perfect for that application solo with some luggage. The Triumph on the other hand has much stronger springing and damping, and as such it easily copes with a pillion, but is not as plush as the AT solo. Horses for courses. If I was asked which is the best all rounder then it would have to be the Triumph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you are simply on a moving machine you turn over to people from time to time and willingly lay out $$$ for doing things you have no idea what they are?? What are yu a 50 year old housewife. I suppose the same goes for your AC at home, your roof you call some butt crack in to chage a was he in your taps and what about light bulbs, most screw in but which way. I will say what I want, advise if I know, rie what I like. You can stay at the consumer end writing you checks while those who do understand shake their heads at your naive and limited comprehension of how things function.

Then you are simply on a moving machine you turn over to people from time to time and willingly lay out $$$ for doing things you have no idea what they are?? What are yu a 50 year old housewife. I suppose the same goes for your AC at home, your roof you call some butt crack in to chage a was he in your taps and what about light bulbs, most screw in but which way. I will say what I want, advise if I know, rie what I like. You can stay at the consumer end writing you checks while those who do understand shake their heads at your naive and limited comprehension of how things function.

Where is the "Don't Like" button? I can't find it.

Hmmm... Vitesse's way is very offensive, but he is right in some things...

If you don't have some basic knowledge of how things are working you're easy money for many bad 'professionals' out there... It's not hard to make some bad decisions, or get fooled.

In two-wheel wold it can be also a matter of safety, not only money. At least you've to be very observing to avoid an accident or an unpleasant situation at least. (e.g. at one of my services the engineer had forgot to tight one of the bolts of the parking brake...)

That's why I'm trying to learn as many things as I can about almost everything. At least I'm reading the manuals, even before I buy something to have a more complete view and take my decision, etc.

Of course this is not something that can do everybody...

I'm a do everything I can guy. Even get into somethings that are over my head. For some people, their time is worth more to them than to be messing with something outside their level of expertise.
Vitesse, this is generally a great bunch of easy going guys and girls in here. One should realize all people can't be Jacks of all trades.
Happy has done well enough in life to afford not one, but two great bikes and who knows what else. A little grace for his "short comings",
please.

Vitesse, you must have started the Screwdrivers early this morning and apparently have been bitten by to many sand fleas. Not every one is mechanically inclined. So their option is to find someone that is so and can fix your problems. On another forum I'm on we share places or people that can provide the mechanical services need. And some people are just not physically able to do some thing other than ride. And if it's my money I can spend it any way I want to. Some things I do and some things I hire done. But I'm able to pick good places, even some dealers, that treat you right. Instead of spitting acid, give some GOOD advice rather than what you're doing.

No, you can't say entirely what you want here, because you will be banned (as well as anyone else), if any personal attacks or insults go past the point of common civility, are directed towards other forum members, as per the rules that you should have read before signing up.

That would be an example of naiveté, not knowing what everyone else knows not to do here at this forum, so I council just chilling out before laying it on too thick how incompetent everyone else is, who doesn't share your particular viewpoint.

There are lots of other forums out there where people can be rude and cantankerous to each other. If it's too much of a burden, then this place might not be for you.

I went back and read all posts from vitesee, gotta love the ignore button. I don't need the attitude. I have learned a great deal here from really good folks who know a great deal more than I and yet they didn't feel to put me down or be rude.

To the OP keep us posted on what you find. I am nearly deaf and always turn off my hearing aids when I ride. So I can't offer much to help, he'll mine could be knocking and rattling and I wouldn't know it.

I'm still looking for the "translate to English" button..........

This is international forum. The rules don't specify if (proper) English is required here (I hope not - I didn't read them).
You are welcome to use Google or Bing Translator or just point out what is you don't understand. Otherwise it's disrespectful.
Statistically over 90% of primary English speakers don't use proper English - so check your spelling, grammar and style also. (Of course I made this up).
For many here English is not even a second language and knowledge of it comes not from necessity but from simple desire and satisfaction of knowing other languages. Respect it...

LOL. Guys, I am lazy to do all that servicing stuff and opening up the engine.
That's a little too much work for me now.
Like some one mentioned, my personal time is too precious to be looking for cheap battery or cheap oil or solutions by trial and error.
I will pay the shop owner to find the problem and fix it (thank God it happened 100m from home and she limped home at 40% power.)

I can sometimes eat my words but that's ok. I am again interested in the DCT AT after reading much more reviews about how easy it makes riding off-road.
I will ask to try again. And who knows, I may get a deal from the shop.

Yes, I admit I am very blessed with financial wealth and I admit I can actually buy any bike if I don't pay attention to the normal price hunting practice. Maybe I would just trade in the limping NC for a shiny new AT and some people will either shut up or rain more damming onto me. Who knows what made their day?

Shop has my bike, owner said he will check it tomorrow. I will call him tomorrow. Maybe it is just a minor repair and resynch the timing chain. Maybe it's major parts replacement. I don't know and actually I don't feel ashamed about it either.

I buy the bike to ride. Not to dress up nor to increase my Mechanic skills. I leave that to the experts and hobbyists.

Peace and God bless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you truelly trashed the engine...........that $3.5k trade in value talked about in other posts....... is now $.75k

TBH if push comes to shove, I would trade in at that price too.
"Bad luck timing" comes to mind.

But I think she can be fixed. Then I redo my shopping options again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back